3 Replies - 3081 Views - Last Post: 27 November 2011 - 03:08 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Need An External Hard Drive For Cross Platform Use

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:45 PM

Hey Everyone!

I am looking into buying an 320GB/500GB external hard-drive and although there are several options out there I need something that can be used on a Mac & PC without any issues. I know a Fat32 format will make it compatible on both platforms, but I've heard that this may cause issues with the hard-drive later on. Also at one point I was setting up somebody's external HDD and I thought all it would be is plug & play but in fact the HDD had to be formatted and at that point I was told by the service rep that the HDD can only be used on one platform either a Mac or a PC even besides the fact that the box stated that it was Mac/PC compatible(although this was 2 years ago). I was interested in buying either the Seagate GoFlex FreeAgent Slim / Go Flex FreeAgent Pro as they claim to be cross platform friendly, but just by reading up online about them I have noticed a lot of people are having issues with these hard-drives. I was wondering if anyone knew of any hard-drives that can be used cross platform without any problems or if the SeaGate HDD's are a good choice?

Appreciate all the help I can get.
Thanks

This post has been edited by staindromeo: 23 November 2011 - 09:47 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need An External Hard Drive For Cross Platform Use

#2 Dormilich  Icon User is online

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Need An External Hard Drive For Cross Platform Use

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:28 PM

for Mac & PC your only choice is FAT32, although that is quite a bad choice for a file system (FAT is very old and limited). Mac canít write NTFS and Windows canít read anything besides FAT/NTFS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:44 AM

I have a WD MyBook that has 2 fat32 partitions and an NTFS. Fat32 goes anywhere. Am happy with the WD MyBook.

ps
used on mac os x, windows xp, 7; linux mint, ubuntu, pclinuxos, debian
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2011 - 03:08 PM

Thanks for your responses .. Temmu I was considering getting the WD Passport Essentials SE just because of the portability factor. I think the partition idea is the best way to go forward, I was considering partitioning them for NTFS & HFS+ as FAT32 has file restrictions. Hopefully this works out :walkman:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1