5 Replies - 840 Views - Last Post: 25 November 2011 - 05:35 PM

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Completely get rid of Flash from the internet?

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:23 PM

I recently wrote an article here about two new sites that went up. One that wants Flash to go away, and one that wants Flash to be used more often. What are your thoughts on this? Personally, I would love to see all flash-based websites to convert to HTML5. It would make things just so much simpler. However it would suck for a lot of people who have some amazing skills in Flash, all of their talent would go to waste.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Completely get rid of Flash from the internet?

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Completely get rid of Flash from the internet?

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:44 PM

Why not keep flash until HTML5 becomes standard? Sounds like the best plan and what people are doing now. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2011 - 06:19 PM

I've never been a big fan of Flash. At least not since Adobe took it over. But it is a great platform and it has done a lot of great things for the web. Don't get me wrong, I kind of hate the fact that a single, private, profit driven corporation has such a hold on the web, but from a purely technical point of view, Flash is still a very good platform. (Well, at least for Windows user... using browsers that allow FlashBlock AddOns...)

And no matter what any (factually questionable propaganda) websites say, the Flash Player is far from being dead. In fact it's been getting a lot better recently. The recent 3D improvements, for example, are very interesting. I'm betting we'll see a lot simple 3D Flash games in the near future. I've even been having a lot less trouble with Flash on my Linux machines :)

Rather than trying to push Flash off the web, we should be trying to push out crappy Flash adds, full-size Flash websites and buggy, cheap-outsourced Flash code. Those are the things that have made FlashBlock AddOns a damn near required addition.

I'm not at all convinced HTML5 will be able to replace the Flash Player. It may be able to take over for most of what the current Flash versions can do, but Flash is in a unique position to push new, non-standard web technologies onto the web, and make them available to like 90% (if not more) of web users without having to go through years of debate at the W3C and then half a decade of waiting for Microsoft to realize what's going on.

It wouldn't surprise me if Flash brought us some new technology (may something related to the 3D) that the HTML5 standard isn't capable of replacing yet, like it initially did with the simple animations, and then later with the multimedia technologies.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:51 AM

HTML5 will soon take over, but I don't think it will kill off flash. Flash has been around for a long time and is(was) more advanced the HTML. Only thing is not all browsers support HTML5 but not all people have flash.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:05 AM

View PostJoshua F, on 25 November 2011 - 01:51 AM, said:

HTML5 will soon take over, but I don't think it will kill off flash. Flash has been around for a long time and is(was) more advanced the HTML. Only thing is not all browsers support HTML5 but not all people have flash.

Well it's obviously more advanced than HTML5. Now if we're talking the mainstream definition of HTML5, which includes CSS3 and heavy jQuery then it's one heck of a tough call as far as that's concerned.

Adobe Edge. If it didn't have the power, do you think Adobe would pull a stunt like that?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 November 2011 - 05:35 PM

I think HTML5 should be adopted now to replace Flash videos.

However, until the HTML5 API is advanced enough and browsers fully support it, Flash should still be used for games.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1