10 Replies - 6929 Views - Last Post: 28 November 2011 - 07:34 AM

• Coding Dynamo
  • member icon

• View blog

Linux vs Windows for development

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:35 AM

Can you please help me to chose beetween linux and Windows (for developing apps).
I currently have win7 installed...
Some time ago I tried to use linux but I just couldn't it was UGLY!
The only time I use linux is when I'm doing some pentesting, that's when it comes in handy, other than that never...
So what are you using (and if you can tell me the flavour of linux and the IDE you're using) and what are the PROS and what the CONS?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Linux vs Windows for development

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Linux vs Windows for development

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:43 AM

This question again?????

See FAQ #20

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions - Updated Nov 2011

Spoiler

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 27 November 2011 - 01:18 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding Dynamo
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:55 AM

Not "What's the best programming language?"
But what OS to use for developing. Linux or Windows (And if linux what flavour of linux and what IDE)...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:29 PM

Depends what language you are using. C# can be used only on Windows unless you want to play with Mono.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2011 - 01:16 PM

View PostRexGrammer, on 27 November 2011 - 11:55 AM, said:

Not "What's the best programming language?"
But what OS to use for developing. Linux or Windows (And if linux what flavour of linux and what IDE)...

Leslie Winkle (Big Bang Theory) said:

Ok, lets play this game...

The OS is a by-product of the type of coding you want to do, which in turn dictates the language you need, which then decides the operating system you probably need. Not the other way around.

Do you want to code apps for iOS devices like the iPad and iPhone? Then you need a Macintosh to do it right. Are you hankering to do machine vision programming? Industrial robot control? Financial applications?

What are your programming goals? Do you want to market $9.99 desktop applications to the masses? Do you want to make control systems for helicopters? XBox games requires the .NET XNA framework so you are now in Windows. Do you want to do embedded controls for automotive computers? Do you just love MS Office and love to make extensions for it? Do you want to work on web apps or desktop apps or mobile apps?

Do you now see why we can't even begin to tell you what is best for you? Only you know what you like and what you don't like. Only you know what area of programming is interesting to you. If you ask me for advice I might tell you video processing for the movie industry is great so you should get a Mac. Someone else is going to tell you cool stories of working on CSI lab equipment so you should do C embedded stuff.

The short answer for this question is: Get in touch with your own wants and needs then think for yourself.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2011 - 03:01 PM

tlhIn`toq is right on this account. He was right on the first when referring to languages.

If you don't know which one is the "best" then you need more experience and thought before you try and make a definitive jump at one.

Personally I use BSD/Linux for coding. I'm heavy on the Python/Perl end and I'm learning C fairly quickly. My goal in programming is Systems Administration, I picked these languages to suit that goal, but to be fair if that's all there was to my side of the fence it would be a lot easier.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2011 - 03:39 PM

No, only his second post is right. Jumping to conclusions with the usual copy-paste crap was not helpful to the OP in any way. Telling the OP that OS was dependent on his needs was the correct answer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2011 - 04:57 PM

I can't believe you guys are getting into the semantics of that answer, and thus dragging me in as well.

So let's look at the answer you guys are debating:

Attached Image

This answer from my FAQ clearly makes reference to several different programming languages on at least two different operating systems. Many of today's languages are O.S. specific. So without getting into a 15,000 word essay about languages and operating system that this OP is clearly not going to comprehend anyway; talking about languages *IS* talking about operating systems. If they are so unaware that they don't understand that C#/.NET is Windows and Objective-C/Cocoa is Mac and thus the language determines the OS then this entire thread is worthless to them anyway.

But more important than the details of whether or not the term "OS" was in the answer you two are debating, is the theme of the message. That being "We can't tell you what is best for you and you have to consider your circumstances."

FAQ 20 said:

If you have no idea what area of programming you want to move to (Gaming, Financial, Windows, Macintosh, Cell phones) then nobody can advise you on a language.
And thus it is implied to anyone with a week of experience on a computer and an IQ higher than their neck size: "... or an operating system... or a brand of computer... or a brand of motherboard... or the globalization native language you install in (English, French, Russian)... or what country you should live in for the best wages..." Do you see how ridiculous you make this question when you feel that you have to specify every single fraking detail for someone who should have the ability to think on their own and apply some common sense?

Let me be REALLY FRANK here: If the OP can't take that answer above and apply to their question then they are doomed in this industry anyway! Programming (in any language or OpSys) requires the ability to take a lesson or example for one purpose and learn to apply it to your own needs.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 27 November 2011 - 04:58 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2011 - 05:05 PM

When the usual copy/paste answers the question I see nothing wrong with it. As he said before, #20 answers that and common sense should play a significant role in reading that.

So I repeat my previous statement, he was right on both counts.

What I will say though is that if you're using windows now and the only reason you would switch is the stigma that all hardcores use Linux you're in for a nightmare. Only switch to Linux if you want to learn. Only switch to a hardcore distro or BSD if you want to know how everything works and want to be able to manipulate anything.

As nice as it is to have complete control of all elements, if you don't know what you'd use them for you'd be wasting your time to wave a banner for it. Linux is not an easy thing to learn, and it is not merely an alternative to windows.

TL;DR: If you're switching because you hate Windows you're doing it for the wrong reasons.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:49 AM

If we copy-pasted every searchable answer, this site would be empty. The topic HAD implications for actual conversation, or a link to actual related posts that might actually help answer the question or spark more research:
Windows V.s. Linux

The confusing part is that you clearly can and often do post very helpful, quite insightful comments on a wide range of topics, and rather quickly. Why resort to a copy paste that insults the user, makes the rest of us want to close the tab, on a comment that isn't even covered in the FAQ? This isn't stackoverflow. I'd much rather read through one of your long, thought out posts than an angry copy-paste.

This post has been edited by xclite: 28 November 2011 - 06:56 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:34 AM

You guys are a hoot!

[unsubscribe]
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1