10 Replies - 2928 Views - Last Post: 07 December 2011 - 10:51 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Video Editing

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:24 PM

I picked up a job from a co-worker of mine, he is also a record producer. He's been doing concerts and such and he needs to expand. We have a team of 12 people for now and my responsibility is basically making videos of the songs. For now making a type of slideshow video is okay (until we actually start filming real video footage specifically for the song of choice). I will be using clips of the concerts as well. Anyways, my question is what programs do you guys suggest using? I have windows 7 and I'm not too sure what a good low-priced piece of software is.

I could google all day long and spending time downloading multiple programs and taking the time to install them just to find something that does not particularly work well (but I'm at work right now and don't have that luxury). Any suggestions from professionals? My background is mostly in programming and my co-worker asked me if I wanted to do this job, I agreed and now I just need some advice. I told him that I don't know much about video editing but he was okay with it, I told him I'd learn some things and come up with a demo video. I know how I want to make the video I just need some good video editing software, but $500 is my budget. I would use final cut pro... but that's for mac only. Sony Vegas is too expensive for my budget, any suggestions? I've used windows movie maker and it's too restricting and I can at best make only amateur looking videos. I do have Office Powerpoint for slideshows but I also want to add effects (perhaps the program will do all that for me and I will have no use for powerpoint). I've looked on these forums and haven't found much on video editing; maybe I have to go outside of this forum but I rather like this forum so hopefully there is someone who can give some advice, thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Video Editing

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Video Editing

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:26 PM

Final Cut Pro
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:57 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 28 November 2011 - 10:26 PM, said:

Final Cut Pro

But he ruled that out because it for Mac only.

I've always used Sony Vegas Pro for my editing and its served me well.

If it's above your budget then I believe that they have other similar products that are much cheaper but of course don't have as many features.

Worth checking their other products out.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:15 PM

So install VMWare on your Windows machine and install the MacOS in the virtual machine: Bammm You have a Macintosh.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:22 PM

I would suggest trying out Premier by Adobe or Avid's Media Composer... both have trial editions so you can get your feet wet with the interface and usability. Bam! Demos r0xor!

http://www.adobe.com...o&promoid=EBYEY
http://www.avid.com/.../media-composer
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:19 PM

A quick Google turned up some freeware video editors: http://www.techsuppo...ideo-editor.htm
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:35 AM

Thanks for all the replies, after tesing out a couple of professional products I have decided to go with premier pro. I've made a little video using it and I love the program. I have Adobe Creative Suite Premium 2 from 2006 when I went to school and it came with a seperate cd-key for premier pro 1.5 which I can use to upgrade for only $299. It's a great deal because the full version is $799. Before actual purchase though I'm going to play around with a couple of other's a little bit more.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:46 AM

Kudos for demos! Yeppie!

edit:
double kudos for using the upgrade path for an even cheaper option!

Keep us appraised how it's going!

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 30 November 2011 - 10:12 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:50 AM

for music videos consider getting adobe after effect in the future, for basic editing on your budget premiere will work fine, but compilations of pictures and concert footage aren't really "music videos". if you want to go proffesional I recommend after effect , here is a quick youtube search result for "after effec music video" http://www.youtube.c...h?v=WqmB2y02n3I

ps. its really a fun softwere to work with
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:45 PM

I always used to use Adobe Premier Pro.. but today I used Lightworks, it is free (though beta) and fantastic. It is for professional filming though, so I had some problems using lower quality cameras!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:51 AM

View Postdigitalsoularts, on 01 December 2011 - 05:50 AM, said:

for music videos consider getting adobe after effect in the future, for basic editing on your budget premiere will work fine, but compilations of pictures and concert footage aren't really "music videos". if you want to go proffesional I recommend after effect , here is a quick youtube search result for "after effec music video" http://www.youtube.c...h?v=WqmB2y02n3I

ps. its really a fun softwere to work with

I've actually also started the demo for after effects, I've not had much time to work with it though. My mouse broke on Saturday and since I needed another mouse I decided to buy a new graphics card and power supply...lol. I just needed a good excuse.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1