2 Replies - 2939 Views - Last Post: 28 November 2011 - 08:24 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Lan connections failing, remote connections working

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:24 PM

Hi everyone

I recently built a xUbuntu machine which is currently acting as a server for many kinds of things, media, ssh, ftp, git, etc

This machine is working wonderfully when I connect to it via its external ip/port, however when I use its local address It rarely connects, is slow and often drops the connection for no apparent reason.

I'm pretty sure the client machines aren't to blame as I'm trying from both Windows and Linux devices. Not sure if it could be the router screwing around, I don't have another router to test. All of the devices in my network are, regrettably, wireless.

Is it likely there's just something that needs setting on the server?

Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Lan connections failing, remote connections working

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Lan connections failing, remote connections working

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:40 PM

Check your log files for connection errors. You may also check your hosts file for any discrepancy and run nmap against the server with various tests to see if something comes back.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Lan connections failing, remote connections working

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:24 PM

View Posttheholygod, on 28 November 2011 - 07:24 PM, said:

This machine is working wonderfully when I connect to it via its external ip/port, however when I use its local address It rarely connects, is slow and often drops the connection for no apparent reason.

When you say you use the external ip/port, can you provide an example? From inside your network you are access the outside interface?

I'm wondering if it isn't a cable or network device issue. As the cable between the server & outside interface router must be good because it works without issue.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1