• +
  • Last »

67 Replies - 2086 Views - Last Post: 06 December 2011 - 06:29 PM

• جوروترا

• View blog

How do you drive your car?

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:08 AM

Hello and a nice day to all !

Just a few days ago i was driving my car on the highway, i was driving like 90-100 km/h. The speed limit in my country is 110 km/h. But as i observed people were totally not following the limit. Most of them i think, drive up until 160-180 km/h coz they overtake me while driving, just like a blink of an eye !. Geez ! these people are sooooo fast ! i thought!, no wonder every festive holiday, in my country hundreds lost their lives in fatal accidents.

I just want to know from you guys out there. How do you drive ? The speed limit in your country ? what speed do you guys normally drive ? and anything you can share about your driving experience.... :D

Thanks for sharing !

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How do you drive your car?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How do you drive your car?

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:13 AM

POPULAR

For everyone out there: kph/1.609 = mph

So:
90-100 km/h = 56-62mph
110 km/h = 68mph
160-180 km/h = 99-112mph
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• جوروترا

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:19 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 29 November 2011 - 09:13 AM, said:

For everyone out there: kph/1.609 = mph

So:
90-100 km/h = 56-62mph
110 km/h = 68mph
160-180 km/h = 99-112mph

oh yeah, thanks for that man ! i forgot bout that ! haha
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:22 AM

I drive 80 miles a day... In all seriousness, I drive like I wish everyone else did. I try not to mess with people, be aware of potential dangers around me, and be clear in my intent. Some, from all appearances, prefer to pilot their vehicles under the influence of mind altering substances. Or, at least, cell phones.

My state speed limit is 65MPH. My preferred cruising speed is 75-80MPH. The cops' preferred speed, and that of their preferred prey, is generally above that.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:23 AM

I drive the posted speed limit. If you want to pass me, then pass me, fucker. I'm not getting a ticket so your day can be brighter.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:28 AM

OP - side question - where are you? Are these straight-aways or winding roads? Well kept roads, or crap fests? It seems a bit out of sorts that folks are passing you twice your speed when you are near the speed limit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• جوروترا

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:29 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 29 November 2011 - 09:22 AM, said:

I drive 80 miles a day... In all seriousness, I drive like I wish everyone else did. I try not to mess with people, be aware of potential dangers around me, and be clear in my intent. Some, from all appearances, prefer to pilot their vehicles under the influence of mind altering substances. Or, at least, cell phones.

My state speed limit is 65MPH. My preferred cruising speed is 75-80MPH. The cops' preferred speed, and that of their preferred prey, is generally above that.

Thanks for sharing, your state speed limit is slightly lower then mine. Here in my country, we use km/h tough...:D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:31 AM

I used to have to drive ~90km every day. Always try to stay close to the speed limit (80 or 90 km/h most of the way). Why be in a hurry? There is no point risking a huge fine, or worse, just to avoid a few minutes of having to sit on your ass listening to good music.

I sometimes consider taking down the license plates of people going so far above the speed limit it's scary, and suing them for endangerment. Would be kind of fun :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:33 AM

I've noticed, to my own chagrin, that when I drive with a passenger I am much more careful and mindful of speed limits. So I try to drive the speed limit or below (depending on weather conditions)

But when I drive alone I sometimes speed up to "keep with the flow", especially on the highway, without even noticing it.

I've realized that, if you're going to speed you're not actually gonna get to where you're going much faster. For, say, a 60km trip if you speed by going 10km/h over the limit you might shave off 2-3 minutes in getting to where you're going. That's from my personal experience. Are those 2-3 minutes worse the risk of getting a ticket or even worse, losing your life? Absolutely not.

Speeding on the highway or a long stretch of a country road is actually more effective since there are no traffic lights or intersections, and you actually will get to where you're going faster (unlike just shaving off a few minutes if you were on a normal road).
I've heard people say that it doesn't matter if you're going 100(speed limit where I live) on the highway or 150, because you're dead if you crash even at 100 anyway, but I disagree strongly with that. Many times I had to suddenly come to a complete stop because the road ahead was blocked due to a collision or stalled vehicle or whatever, and if I was going 150 instead of speed limit I know I wouldn't have been able to stop in time.
I think that, on the highway especially, it's much more important to keep a good amount of distance between you and the car ahead, then worry about your speed.

This post has been edited by KBoogle: 29 November 2011 - 09:35 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• جوروترا

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:43 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 29 November 2011 - 09:28 AM, said:

OP - side question - where are you? Are these straight-aways or winding roads? Well kept roads, or crap fests? It seems a bit out of sorts that folks are passing you twice your speed when you are near the speed limit.

The highway has three lanes...i'm usually in the second or third lane. coz in the first lane... they drive like crazy fast ! In my country (Malaysia) usually, they have 2 or 3 lanes for the highways. the first lane is actually meant for the max speed limit. Anything below the limit, you'll have to drive in the 2nd or 3rd lane.

View PostAtli, on 29 November 2011 - 09:31 AM, said:

I sometimes consider taking down the license plates of people going so far above the speed limit it's scary, and suing them for endangerment. Would be kind of fun :)

That's totally fun ! haha.. but i don't think i would be able to do that here... they just like, Vanish in split second !

View PostKBoogle, on 29 November 2011 - 09:33 AM, said:

I've noticed, to my own chagrin, that when I drive with a passenger I am much more careful and mindful of speed limits. So I try to drive the speed limit or below (depending on weather conditions)

But when I drive alone I sometimes speed up to "keep with the flow", especially on the highway, without even noticing it.

I've realized that, if you're going to speed you're not actually gonna get to where you're going much faster. For, say, a 60km trip if you speed by going 10km/h over the limit you might shave off 2-3 minutes in getting to where you're going. That's from my personal experience. Are those 2-3 minutes worse the risk of getting a ticket or even worse, losing your life? Absolutely not.

Speeding on the highway or a long stretch of a country road is actually more effective since there are no traffic lights or intersections, and you actually will get to where you're going faster (unlike just shaving off a few minutes if you were on a normal road).
I've heard people say that it doesn't matter if you're going 100(speed limit where I live) on the highway or 150, because you're dead if you crash even at 100 anyway, but I disagree strongly with that. Many times I had to suddenly come to a complete stop because the road ahead was blocked due to a collision or stalled vehicle or whatever, and if I was going 150 instead of speed limit I know I wouldn't have been able to stop in time.
I think that, on the highway especially, it's much more important to keep a good amount of distance between you and the car ahead, then worry about your speed.

yeah, i totally agree with you there.... the distance between you and the car in front is a very important thing. but here, these lunatics will just like follow behind you very2 close and flash the high beam light to ask you to move over ! Rude huh !?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:49 AM

I'm the guy that people are always surprised by as I blow by them clearly going fast enough to lose my license should I be unlucky enough to find a cop with his speed gun out.

In all seriousness, I do drive faster than I rightfully should, but I drive 66 miles a day just to get to and from work, and usually spend about 2.5 hours a day in the car. That's a lot of frustration that tends to make me an angry driver which I feel contributes to my speeding. I've only gotten 3 speeding tickets in my life, but I'm sure that I will end up getting more one day as people who drive 45 miles an hour in the left lane on a highway with a posted speed limit of 65 need to be stabbed, scalped, and had their fingernails and toenails pulled out by a pair of pliers.

EDIT: Also, tarmizi_adam2005, I'd suggest when they get that close to your back bumper, brake check them. For that that do not know, this is an act where you slam on brakes for a second to let them know that they are following too closely.

This post has been edited by Kilorn: 29 November 2011 - 09:51 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:50 AM

POPULAR

View PostBenignDesign, on 29 November 2011 - 10:23 AM, said:

I drive the posted speed limit. If you want to pass me, then pass me, fucker. I'm not getting a ticket so your day can be brighter.

i never have a problem with this, as long as you stay out of the left lane.
Was This Post Helpful? 7
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:51 AM

View PostKBoogle, on 29 November 2011 - 11:33 AM, said:

Not that I'm advocating reckless driving in any sense, but there are some incorrect assumptions here.
First, depending on the light layout, going a little faster can get you through some lights before they turn red (mostly apparent chance, of course, but going slowly isn't going to help). In my area, going the exact limit will get you every light due to the timing, whereas if you were to up it by about 5 or 10, you can make it through some of the long ones.
Second, I'd bet that going 10 km/h over the limit does not significantly increase my chances of death.

Definitely true - on long trips the time saved REALLY adds up.

I would agree. Just because the crash is equally deadly does not mean the crash is equally likely for 100 or 150. I tend to drive at the highest speed that I feel safe if I know the area, or within 5 or 10 mph of posted if I do not (sometimes this is the same speed anyway). If I know I can't stop quickly or the road is winding, I'm not trying to go 20 km/h over the limit.

This post has been edited by xclite: 29 November 2011 - 09:53 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:57 AM

View Postsupersloth, on 29 November 2011 - 11:50 AM, said:

View PostBenignDesign, on 29 November 2011 - 10:23 AM, said:

i never have a problem with this, as long as you stay out of the left lane.

I'm only in the left lane to pass some jackass old man doing 40 on the interstate. Or a big freaking truck playing Little Engine that Could up a hill.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• جوروترا

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:01 AM

I'm only in the left lane to pass some jackass old man doing 40 on the interstate. Or a big freaking truck playing Little Engine that Could up a hill.

You are soooo true !! i love that one ! hahah ! :D

This post has been edited by tarmizi_adam2005: 29 November 2011 - 10:02 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »