Hello, i'm new in here and would like to know how to creat games

• (3 Pages)
  • +

35 Replies - 1911 Views - Last Post: 04 December 2011 - 12:29 PM Rate Topic: **--- 2 Votes

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hello, i'm new in here and would like to know how to creat games

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:07 PM

hello everyone,i'm new here and this is the first time that i'm posting a topic (i have never been on a forum before).
so if i did any mistake on this post let me know so i can improve for the next time.
i got here while searching for a guidance on game creation(i searched for a long time and i hope that i will finaly get the guidance im looking for). i will do my best to provide you with any information necessary so you can know how to guide me on the best way.

a little bit about myself:

i have been enjoying playing games for a long time(especially MMORPG's)and always wanted to know what is hiding behind it what is the "secret/magic" that doing all that(making the player move, npc talk, beautiful background/scene realistic worlds and much much more).but i didnt realy put my mind into it,i was just a kid and i guess i just enjoyed the game play much more. but all that changes since i grew up, i decided that im going to make my dream come true and create my own game. but i dont even know where to start,what i need to know?,what to learn?(thats why im here).
i know its not going to be easy and going to take alot of time and effort but i got alot of passion and im willing to learn all i need no matter how hard it gonna be im not going to give up(i love challenges).

i know it required things like:

1.programming-i have only a little little bit knowledge on that(i dont even know if i can say i do cuz all i ever did is write a simple "hello world" program and a simple calculator program that reads(input)2 numbers from the keybaord calculate and print(output) the result on the screen on c/c++[they looked the same to me on first look]).but i would like to start back from zero so i can learn everything i realy need in the best way(dont even know if its c or c++ that i need).

2.imagintaion-i got plenty of that and im good at drawing also(if artistic skills needed too).

3.team-for now its only me but my best friend is going to join me soon(and i hope i can find some more people with motivation in the future).

4.tools?-i dont know what i realy need(but i downloaded Unity to test it and Blender for making models[are they good?do i need them?]).

resons why i want to learn and my top goals:
1.i want to be able to express my imagination and creativity.
2.i want to expend the game creators community and show them what they can accomplish when not giving up and folow dreams.
3.after geting more knowledge be able to help others make games or just show them what they can do with programming.
4.my top goal!(in the far future) create the best MMORPG ever made so i can spread the joy with everyone and let them have the ulitmate greatest gameplay they ever dreamed of(i just would like to see how happy they can be from something i created and put alot of investment in it).[i know its not going to be easy and going to take alot of time(more like years) but i will do it in the end(hopefully).

so please help me to accomplish my dream and guide me to the right path.
i would appreciate any help.
PassionForGames-new member(hopefully game creator in the future)

(im sorry if the post is long i just wanted to give any information needed and to introduce myself)[and i did my best to write in english the best way i can]{my language is not english} <let me know if i did something wrong so i can improve for the next time> .Thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hello, i'm new in here and would like to know how to creat games

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hello, i'm new in here and would like to know how to creat games

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:57 PM

Hello there, and welcome to Dream.In.Code.

Firstly, you made one mistake. You wrote a long undescriptive title, along the lines of 'Im new here, how do I program' are some titles we see. Don't forget to be suddle and descriptive. Say for example 'Game Development Guidence'.

When it comes to game development, work on AAA titles takes a large team years to produce their title. Thats one thing many, including myself made. You have to take the time to breath and excel in a particular area.

Such areas are:

• Programing
  • Modeling
  • Concept artist
  • Animator
  • Level Designer

These are just some of the areas involved in game development. I for one, chose programing because it came naturally. Where as art, I am totaly crap at.

I would suggest picking up a good C++ book and a graphics programing book. There are also some mighty tutorials written by our very own Stayscrisp, who is one of the moderators for the game programing section.

Also, google such websites as:
  • Remiers C++ / XNA / C#
  • Toymakers
  • Two-kings

Hope it helps

Thanks,
Aaron1178
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:15 PM

thanks aaron1178 for you reply but i realy need something more then that. can you guide me in a more detaild way such as what tutorial sould i start on now(i realy like to start right now and dont waste any valuable time) im a fast learner i just wanna know where to start
is there a good way you sugest exept of books? because i dont have money right now =/
thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:31 PM

links maybe? softaware i should download?(as i said i got Unit and Blender right now,are they good?)
what you think is the best(maybe fast learning?) language i should start on right now?
and 2 more questions if i my,
1st: what is the different bettwen c and c++ what is better and which of them should i learn if any?
2nd: should i use made game engine or work on my own?
i heard there are alot of languages like python, jave, c# and much much more and i got confused can you please guide me the right way?
i appreciate you help.

.PFG.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:54 PM

Well, the difference between c and c++ is that c++ is an object orientated language. Most AAA titles and or any game development mainly use C++, as its fast and direct to hardware( as to say C#, as thats run in the .Net virtual machine). Well, as I stated above, they where 3 websites that show the beginning in graphics programing. Google them. Its not that hard to do it.
But before you start graphics programing, you must decide what language you want to use. Then you need to have a firm understanding of it.

Also, you say you have blender. What do you want to do. Programing or modelling. You cant do everything. And my suggestion is try make small games such as tetris or pong. These will show you the skills required. Such as graphics, animation, camera, physics ect.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:03 PM

To code in C++ you would need an IDE (integrated developement environment)
And i recomend one that is called Visual C++ Express
Its free and one of the better IDE's out there.
I also recomend getting a book on c++ programming

EDIT: If you google Visual c++ express you should find it.. Im from my android so its hard to send links.

This post has been edited by TheCompBoy: 30 November 2011 - 11:05 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:09 PM

well the problem is that there are just so many progrming languages that i dont know what to start on..as i said i once used c++ or was it c..i dont realy remember and didnt realy get much from it(just because i didnt know what to do next)..i need a good guide like step by step from someone that realy understand.
people say alot of different things like start python its realy easy or java is better some say dont start with c++ it not for someone with no basic programing knowledge so i realy dont know where to start..
hope you dont mind im asking..
what path did you took when you first started? did you manage to build your own game?
i realy need your help because im starting to lose my way(so confused) can you guide me in the way to become a real game maker?

thanks .PFG.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:12 PM

This is probably a good link to hit. We also have both C/C++ and Game Programming tutorials sections you can take advantage of. Game Programming isn't easy, so make sure you have a good handle on your language of choice before jumping head first into it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:20 PM

Maybe C# would be a good choise then.. But language don't realy matter too much.. C# have something called XNA which helps.you make games but C++ works great too.. You could take help of some library like Allegro or SDL.

Text based games is the place to start ithink.. .

This post has been edited by TheCompBoy: 30 November 2011 - 11:22 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:58 PM

Incorrect TheCompBoy, It does matter what language you chose to program in. And C++ is the industry standart language used in graphics programming.

Text Base game development is a good introduction to programing, but not to 2D or 3D game development.

Also don't forget that math is needed alot. Say for example, when doing 3D Cameras, The Dot product and Cross Product is needed.

You have to stick with the language you choose. Learn it breath it, live it.

Those websites above are the starting point for people who don't go through university or buying books.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:53 AM

im sorry but my internet dont stop crushing(powerdown problems).

i thank you all for your help.
as you suggested i will start with c++(you said there is a tutorial on here right,then i will start it now).hope its realy what i need to start my way in game programing.
and i will go to the page macosxnerd101 directed me to and read it.
and TheCompBoy im sorry but i dont have enough knowledge right now to understand what you talked about but i thank you for your willing to help.(and isnt C# is advenced language?. sorry i dont realy know what im talking about..).and befor that you said something about IDE(Visual C++ Express).. i'm sorry but i dont know that either.. i only learnd it the past that for writing in c/c++ i need a compiler that help the computer understand what i'm telling him to do(transforming my code into assembly(binary maybe 0 and 1 something no?). i used in the past compiler named Code Blocks that got debuger in it.(as you can see i dont realy know what im talking about..thats why i want to forget all i learnd that confuses me and start from zero in a better way with your help.
please guide me. im sure you all know alot better then i do so i'm going to just do what you say.

i appreciate all of your help so far and im looking for more of you help in the future.
thanks .PFG.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:20 AM

View Postaaron1178, on 01 December 2011 - 06:58 AM, said:

Incorrect TheCompBoy, It does matter what language you chose to program in. And C++ is the industry standart language used in graphics programming.

Text Base game development is a good introduction to programing, but not to 2D or 3D game development.

Also don't forget that math is needed alot. Say for example, when doing 3D Cameras, The Dot product and Cross Product is needed.

You have to stick with the language you choose. Learn it breath it, live it.

Those websites above are the starting point for people who don't go through university or buying books.

All languages is capable of making a game.. But sure yes its good to choose the industry standard i do agree with you.

View PostPassionForGames, on 01 December 2011 - 07:53 AM, said:

im sorry but my internet dont stop crushing(powerdown problems).

i thank you all for your help.
as you suggested i will start with c++(you said there is a tutorial on here right,then i will start it now).hope its realy what i need to start my way in game programing.
and i will go to the page macosxnerd101 directed me to and read it.
and TheCompBoy im sorry but i dont have enough knowledge right now to understand what you talked about but i thank you for your willing to help.(and isnt C# is advenced language?. sorry i dont realy know what im talking about..).and befor that you said something about IDE(Visual C++ Express).. i'm sorry but i dont know that either.. i only learnd it the past that for writing in c/c++ i need a compiler that help the computer understand what i'm telling him to do(transforming my code into assembly(binary maybe 0 and 1 something no?). i used in the past compiler named Code Blocks that got debuger in it.(as you can see i dont realy know what im talking about..thats why i want to forget all i learnd that confuses me and start from zero in a better way with your help.
please guide me. im sure you all know alot better then i do so i'm going to just do what you say.

i appreciate all of your help so far and im looking for more of you help in the future.
thanks .PFG.

Visual c++ express is like Code Blocks but in my oppinion better.. Code Blocks is also an IDE.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:47 AM

If you don't know what an IDE is, I suggest that go start from the very beginning. Don't try and start graphics programing or anything to do with games. You need to have a solid understanding of what a language is, what a compiler is, what an IDE is ect.

This is the most common misconception people make about making games. No, its not easy, It's hard. You cant jump in at the deep end. Going from the start will make it all easier
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:32 AM

i thank you for your honesty aaron1178 and you are right i do not have enough knowledge right now but i realy want to learn *everything* i need right now and in the far future.
as i said my dream is to build games i know its not going to be easy and going to take alot of time and work but i realy want to learn how to make my dream reality. i learn, read, follow, practic and do what ever it takes to accomplish it. as you said from the very beginning. would you please guide me on the long way till i can finaly become a game programer? if needed i talk with you away from the forum. i just realy need a guide that would help me on the long path. im a fast learner and when i put my mind into something i never give up no matter how hard it is.

<my moto for life:if you didnt succeed its just means you didnt try enough-when its becoming hard
it means you are going up when its starting to get easy you are falling down(hard is good) but if we dont fall how can we get back up>

i thanks you for all your help .PFG.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:39 AM

You should start with buying a book or go to the library and find some c++ book
I recomend "Sams teach yourself c++" Great book for beginners
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +