• +

19 Replies - 6477 Views - Last Post: 02 December 2011 - 03:53 PM

#16 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: [Articles] Yammer and Scala

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:33 AM

Okay, this is really getting stupid and repetitive, especially since we're all in agreement on everything that matters.

Last time:

- the original article was a solid critique of one company's experience with Scala
- I have not personally seen anyone attacking the language in the followup to this. Obviously there's stuff I'm not reading, but:
- I don't see why anyone would care about the opinions of someone who "attacks a language". The language doesn't care, the "attacks" make no difference, and the attacker is simply donning a dunce cap.
- So the "pitchfork" reaction struck me as an over-reaction - anybody with pitchforks out for a language is an idiot, therefore they don't matter, therefore there's no need to get emotional about it.
- In other words, "chill out and move on". (Hearing this from Raynes, of all people, was delicious!)

So if there's any point on which we're in disagreement, it'd be on the usefulness of paying attention to people who like to attack languages in non-constructive fashion. If either of you want to try to convince me that this is a useful exercise, go ahead. Otherwise, I just don't see that we're disagreeing about anything or what point it is that I'm supposed to have missed, and I don't see the point of continuing this round of furious agreement and concord.

(@xclite -Reviewing the thread, I see that I did parse one sentence of yours incorrectly - I took the object of "blow it up" to be the language, not the article. Sorry about that, I plead "responding while at work". But I don't see that it makes any difference, really.)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:27 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 02 December 2011 - 01:33 PM, said:

- I don't see why anyone would care about the opinions of someone who "attacks a language". The language doesn't care, the "attacks" make no difference, and the attacker is simply donning a dunce cap.

Because it certainly doesn't help! If I sit here and attack you or your work because of some misquoted article, you're going to be quite upset. I don't understand why Raynes can't have an opinion on it. Is one supposed to like when that happens? Is his opinion wrong? I don't understand. Just because you don't think we should pay attention does not make something beneath discussion. If it is beneath you, quit talking about it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#18 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:26 PM

Nobody's attacked Raynes or his work, as far as I've seen. Nobody's attacked anyone's work, except maybe Martin Odersky's, though I haven't even seen that. Odersky's a big boy, he can take care of himself.

Raynes is entitled to his opinions, and I'm always glad to see him post them because they're usually worth a look. Leaving aside his habit of blowing up every time someone looks cross-eyed at a functional language, he's a smart guy and worth listening to.
In this case, I think he was overreacting, and I said so, and that's really not such a big deal.

I suggest we both take a hint from the King of Chill, and move on.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:25 PM

Just a heads up: if this pissing match continues for even one more post, I will close this thread. I'd rather not have to, since this should have been a good thread.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:53 PM

Why do people have to take things out of proportion like this? I always discount tech news on 'the news', and look for it here, or on CodeProject, because it's always the controversy factor they're after. Like that recent Android rootkit announcement...

P.S. I'd sorta heard of Scala before now, but nothing more. I'll have to try it now!

P.S.S. Can we get a mod in here? This thread stinks of testosterone, and I expected better behaviour from adults, let alone EXPERTS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +