2 Replies - 546 Views - Last Post: 02 December 2011 - 08:46 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Majoring in CS?

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:29 PM

Hello, I am currently on my first semester in college (out of high school) and I was wondering if CS would be a good major for me to go into? I am not entirely sure, however, because I've tried learning the C programming language by myself and found it to be boring after a while (though, it could have been that I spend ALL day reading that book, lol). Programming in general seems fun to me; I love getting a challenge and spending time thinking about how to solve it, which is the essence, i think, of programming. But the reason I am posting this is as follows: the main thing that gets me interested into programming is, for lack of a better term, "security analysis". I guess a better way to describe it would be that I like finding... security flaws in things, then exploiting them (like cracking programs or designing hacks for games). I was wondering if a major in CS would help me accomplish these things?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Majoring in CS?

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Majoring in CS?

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:32 PM

Depends on your college. Some universities have security programs, others don't. So if security is what you're interested in and your school provides it, go for it. If you want to go for a CS major, then take into consideration that its not all about programming, you're probably going to take 2 or 3 programming courses, the rest of the classes will be dealing with other fields in CS such as data structures, algorithms, AI, discrete math, etc. So my advice would be to check out the classes offered by your college's CS department and read the course descriptions. Then you can decide whether CS is right for you. Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Majoring in CS?

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:46 AM

I guess a better way to describe it would be that I like finding... security flaws in things, then exploiting them (like cracking programs or designing hacks for games). I was wondering if a major in CS would help me accomplish these things?

I would say this is not the way to put it on your entrance applications. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1