7 Replies - 3102 Views - Last Post: 05 December 2011 - 06:23 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Configuration/Specs Advice

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:55 AM

Hey Everyone!

I am looking into buying a Desktop/Laptop specifically for Gaming, Designing & Media. Something that would be Games & Photoshop CS5 or Fireworks friendly. I was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction with the configuration. I am considering either a desktop or a 17/15 inch laptop simply because my budget is around $1000 so I don't want to start off building a Desktop and half way through it find that I am going over budget with some beefed up specifications. For a laptop the DELL XPS line has some good offerings but then again in terms of performance I am not sure how it will fit my needs. I guess if I went on to build a custom PC then I would need a 7200 RPM HDD and an above average video card with a quad core processor and a decent amount of RAM. Do you guys have any recommendations on the config or a branded Laptop/Pre-Built Desktop that would work for me? Appreciate all the help.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Configuration/Specs Advice

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Configuration/Specs Advice

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:42 AM

You seem to know the general bits and pieces of the hardware you want, it shouldn't be too bad to jump that over at bestbuy (or what ever local bigbox store) and fit something to that need!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:58 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 04 December 2011 - 10:42 AM, said:

You seem to know the general bits and pieces of the hardware you want, it shouldn't be too bad to jump that over at bestbuy (or what ever local bigbox store) and fit something to that need!

Thanks for the response modi, I went to Bestbuy although just to look at their laptops and I was impressed with the size of the Dell Inspiron 17 inch, it wasn't too heavy. Which made me think the XPS 17 wouldn't be a bad option, just I would have to wait for a good deal on it. On the flipside I don't mind ordering parts from Newegg/TigerDirect and assembling a PC together, I just want to get the best value for money. As you said I have a general idea, but I think I am lost with all the options out there. What processor & graphics card would you guys recommend?

This post has been edited by khaos24: 04 December 2011 - 11:58 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:31 PM

I tend to hit up bit-tech for a base line of stats.. here's an example of their fairly frequent update on build guides.

http://www.bit-tech....eptember-2011/1
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:39 PM

I use my XPS 17 all the time for all my ICT stuff and can't complain at all. It really is a brilliant laptop. the nVidia 555 is a solid mobile GPU, and some do the adobe programmes can use it to accelerate things like video encoding.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:31 PM

> I am looking into buying a Desktop/Laptop

There's a tradeoff between desktops vs laptops. For the sake of portability, space, and efficiency, you pay out in price, lack of upgradeability, and lower specs. The question is, which is more important for you?

> I guess if I went on to build a custom PC

When you say build a custom PC, you mean actually do the building it yourself, right? You order the parts and put it all together?

> I would need a 7200 RPM HDD

Not that I would recommend anything less than 7200 RPM, but now is a very bad time to buy hdds. in case you haven't heard, Thailand suffer from massive floods, and that place is the single point of failure in the HDD supply chain. I.e. a HDD that went for $60 some months ago is now $200. Given this situation, you might want to consider an SSD. Depends on if you can accept the storage loss. A 120 GB SSD is comparable to a quality HDD with significantly greater storage.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:22 PM

SSD's would be a good option but even a 120GB capacity drive is quite expensive, I am sure there are still some HDD's around at a decent price. The portability issue of a desktop/laptop doesn't bother me much as I am just looking for a good configuration that fits my price range. Haha yes I did mean ordering parts and putting it together and not manufacturing my own computer, I guess you missed this part

I don't mind ordering parts from Newegg/TigerDirect and assembling a PC together, I just want to get the best value for money.

So far the XPS 17 is looking like the way to go.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:23 AM

Khaos unfortunately there really aren't any decent priced HDDs at the moment. I work for a company which does school and business support and we've been hearing prices are unlikely to start decreasing until at the very best late spring 2012.
There are no new HDDs being made, and companies who need new ones for mission critical operations have been buying up all those remaining. The cheapest are all going to be second hand now, as that market is soaring.

I have yet to use a laptop that was actually good for a long gaming session... so as far as I am concerned they are more expensive and not as good.
Do you play next-gen games on the move? I don't know anyone who does. Most people with gaming laptops seem to just have them so they can play in bed. xD

ANYWAY.
I would recommend getting a motherboard with the H67 chipset, and a socket 1155 "Sandy Bridge" Intel CPU (with at least 4 cores).
These components are optimised to work with each other.
You can also buy RAM that is optimised for Sandy Bridge CPUs, such as the Corsair "Vengeance" range.

You can mix and match different motherboards and CPUs with these capabilities, there is a wide range available so you can tailor it to fit your budget easily.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1