• (4 Pages)
  • +

46 Replies - 2308 Views - Last Post: 18 December 2011 - 09:14 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Dumb People are Dumb

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:30 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 07 December 2011 - 08:42 PM, said:

At the risk of giving actual useful advice in the lounge, I would suggest you arrange things so the permissions are sharply limited. One approver per site, and follow the principle of least privilege with regard to editing. Most sites end up being a mess partly because it's far too easy to just give everyone full write access, and they make a mess of it. Put one person in charge, things seem to work out much better.

At the risk of incriminating you for giving useful advice: thanks, I appreciate it! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:17 AM

Stupidity should be painful.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:20 AM

It is for the rest of us
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#34 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:41 AM

I'm sure it's painful for everyone. It's just that stupid people don't realize that "pain" is not, and should not be, the normal state of affairs.
How many times have you heard the old joke? "Doc, it hurts when I do this" "Well, stop doing that!"
Stupid people haven't realized that it's possible to just stop doing that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:36 AM

lulwut?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:44 AM

Derp
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:04 PM

View PostBenignDesign, on 07 December 2011 - 10:37 AM, said:

I need to vent. So I opened a thread to vent to the only people I know who would actually understand the conversation I'm about to relay. Do I have a point for discussion, aside from the sharing of other dumb people stories? No. Nor do I care at the moment that a true discussion point is lacking. I need to vent before I flipping explode, so shut-up and read the post. Thank you. And have a nice day.

I have been in an ongoing battle with my department secretary for the better part of a week now.

We have a WYSIWYG editor back-end for our company intranet site. She has permissions to edit our specific department's portion of said intranet site.

Last Friday, she sent me an email stating that:

(1) the page title displayed in her file tree was showing the "old" department name instead of the "new" department name (the department name was changed before I started here.. so it's been incorrect for a minimum of two years now and she's never mentioned it before)

(2) she's been trying to create a page called "Forms" to display all the printable forms our department uses on a regular basis. She says she created it, lost it, found it, deleted it, created it again, and subsequently lost it again. She wanted me to find it and delete it so she could create it a third time.

I pulled up the directory listing - there were TWO files called "Forms" (more specifically "Forms" and "Forms2"). I opened the files to check the contents. "Forms2" was empty, so I deleted it. "Forms", however, contained our departmental list of policies and procedures. I emailed her to explain this. She insisted I delete the "Forms" file so she could recreate it.

Not being a complete idiot, I first saved a backup copy of the file and proceeded to delete it from the server as requested.

Not two minutes later, I get a frantic email crying "Something's wrong! My policies and procedures page worked fine yesterday! And now it's not showing up at all! What did you do to all my work??"

I replied, "I deleted it, just like you asked. The policies and procedures page was a file called "Forms". You asked for "Forms" to be deleted, I explained to you in a previous email that the file was in use, but you insisted, so I complied. However, in anticipation of this exact moment, I saved a back-up copy of the "Forms" file. I will restore it to the server and your policies and procedures page will magically reappear."

Her response: "The policies and procedures page is working fine now, but I'm having the same problem I had in the beginning where I can't create a forms page! What are you doing wrong?!"

Dear Secret Satan, I know the shipping fees would be a nightmare, but I'd really love a cement block for Christmas. I want to keep it on my desk to smack my head on when the dumb attacks. Thank you.

Just delete her stuff and play dumb. And when she starts losing her mind about it go to the person in charge with a *solution* and assign the task to someone who isn't a complete idiot.

Once that is accomplished start calling her things like "honey" and "sweetie". Ask her to get you a coffee. Then have her take it back because "she forgot the sugar...two packets please sweetie." She's a secretary and needs to be put in her place.

I can't stand idiots in HR, reception, PR or marketing whose arrogance empowers them to attempt tasks they are totally unqualified to be handling.

This topic hit a nerve with me. I totally feel the OP's pain.

View PostCraig328, on 07 December 2011 - 10:58 AM, said:

B9...we all feel your pain. I regularly experience similar exchanges with our customer service and sales folk. I have one who cannot open a report on an Excel worksheet without getting some kind of bizzaro "font not displayable" issue (only person in the building this happens to). I have suggested saving the sheet as a .csv, closing Excel, reopening Excel, loading the .csv, save the .csv as an Excel sheet...and the problem is gone. Perhaps 15 seconds of effort. He won't do it.

Instead he runs the report then emails it to me and asks "Getting the font error again can you please do that thing you do?" (actual cut/paste from the last time he asked). Keep in mind this is supposed to be the technical liason between sales/support and IT. "That thing you do"...which is nothing more than what I describe above.

I'm going to have to locate a wizard hat and keep it close at hand in my office.

You need to find a polite way to tell him to go f**k himself. I help idiots like this twice, then I use ye' old Snipping Tool and create instructions in a Word document in 5 minutes, and then literally reply with the instructions when I get their stupid request.

When I form my next company or reach the top of the food chain at my current company, I will have users log ALL their technical problems / requests in some sort of a trouble-ticket system...I will make it my mission in life to review those tickets twice a year, and identify and fire the biggest non-technical idiots. There is absolutely NO excuse for not being able to use a computer, Office, email, and how to search for your own solutions via Google.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:30 PM

Now with my new job I deal with a different kind of stupid people. 3rd day on the job, and already had stories to tell. I personally liked the guy that came in screaming at me and my manager because he had to prepay for his gas. Lol, bitch, it's been like that for ages. Call corporate, they'll laugh too. :3
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#39 BenignDesign  Icon User is online

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:23 AM

View PostPhyrepower, on 09 December 2011 - 08:04 PM, said:

Just delete her stuff and play dumb. And when she starts losing her mind about it go to the person in charge with a *solution* and assign the task to someone who isn't a complete idiot.

Once that is accomplished start calling her things like "honey" and "sweetie". Ask her to get you a coffee. Then have her take it back because "she forgot the sugar...two packets please sweetie." She's a secretary and needs to be put in her place.

I can't stand idiots in HR, reception, PR or marketing whose arrogance empowers them to attempt tasks they are totally unqualified to be handling.

This topic hit a nerve with me. I totally feel the OP's pain.

You should never be allowed to reproduce. It is men like you that make the rest look bad. I appreciate that you feel my pain, but I fear the entire point may have been lost in the sexist fog that is your continued existence.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:37 PM

I would make a really long and passionate post about gender equality, but I don't want to waste my time on the stupid. People with insane gender biases are either stubbornly ignorant or just trolling.

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 10 December 2011 - 11:38 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#41 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:53 PM

Speaking as a guy, I am annoyed by guys like this, but logically I should be grateful to them. I'm annoyed by them because they make girls annoyed by guys in general, which means that girls are annoyed by me, so this guy is making my life more difficult.

However, it's also the case that as long as this guy is out there lowering the bar, I look better and better, so the fact that this guy exists is to my benefit.

This looks like a paradox, but in fact it is not.

That being said, it is certainly the case that this guy is either a scumbag or severely confused about what constitutes humor, or possibly both. So, a pretty unlikeable person in any case.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:11 AM

I work with tech support. You need to take the stupid question with a big grin and vent it by posting humiliating stories.

I have one. A colleague had problem with her iPhone. According to her, the phone was broken. The touch display was not responding.

OK, I take a look on it. Shut it down and started charging it. A while later, it was charged about 20 % and I tried a restore on it. The phone was then restarted and asked for password. Enter the password and went around in her phone. It worked without a problem.

It was the easiest 20 dollars I ever earned. :D

The problem was two:
1. The phone battery was empty
2. The phone itself had overheat while my colleague was using it, which in turn had dried out the battery.

This post has been edited by WinkyCode: 11 December 2011 - 03:12 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• >>──(Knee)──►
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:22 AM

Everyone has their stupid moments - myself included! :D - but it's when someone appears to be incapable of RTFM or has put themselves in a situation where they're completely out of their depth, it's just so... frustrating!
Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:27 AM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• coderさん
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:46 AM

I don't know if any of you have had this problem, but teachers who don't know or understand what they are teaching really annoy me.
At the end of last year, the school robotics teacher left the school, so the school began to look for a new teacher. Because the school is religious (it seems that all of the good schools in my area are), they would only hire someone who has a reference from a church pastor and so I think they only hired this guy because he had a reference from his church. Anyway, start of this year we go into our new class to meet our new teacher. I think the minute I walked in there, I knew something was wrong. About 10 minutes into that lesson, the I was explaining to the teacher what a multimeter was and how to use it.
A similar thing also happened with the new computing teacher. He was supposed to have worked for an oil and gas company doing some sort of computer-related job, but now I am not so sure (those who can do and those who can't teach?). He had almost no idea how to use a computer. Every lesson resulted in someone putting their hand up to as a question, the teacher not knowing how to fix it and him calling me over to fix the problem. Very sad for a computer teacher to have to be shown how to do things by a student.

This post has been edited by Eric115: 18 December 2011 - 07:57 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +