• +

19 Replies - 3037 Views - Last Post: 21 December 2011 - 04:49 PM

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Small victories, people

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:31 AM

POPULAR

A few weeks ago I posted in this forum, about giving up on programming.

I was frustrated at my inability to find errors, and to magically be a quick fire code ninja right out of the gate.

I got a lot of support, which was appreciated.

And as of yesterday. I would just like to say that I was able to code my final exam program in less than 6 hours, without asking a single question :punk:

I know I'll be here again next semester asking for help. But I'm a lot better than I was a few weeks ago. Sometimes I can find errors in 2 minutes, instead of 2 hours People told me it would happen, and it has.

So... :w00t:

That is all.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 11
  • +

Replies To: Small victories, people

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Small victories, people

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:24 AM

Firstly, congratulations. That is quite awesome, to go from one end of the spectrum to the other that quickly. It just keeps getting better from here. :)

Secondly, I am very happy to hear that </dream.in.code> has helped you in such a great way. I experienced a similar occurrence when I first joined. Having no formal education in programming, </dream.in.code> has turned me into a programmer good enough to code professionally. So I guess I'm saying that we are glad we have helped you.

Thanks for letting us know!

** Moved to Site Feedback **
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:27 AM

View Postsynlight, on 10 December 2011 - 09:31 AM, said:

I know I'll be here again next semester asking for help.

HEY, don't leave us between semesters! Don't stop coding because class is out. You only get better with practice, if you read extra tutorials, code some small programs on your own, imagine how much easier the next semester will be if you gain more knowledge :clap:

It only gets easier with practice... You never know, you might become the next big software giant in time!
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

#4 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:36 AM

Glad to hear you didn't give up! So many people quit because it's hard. I don't know why there is some misconception that programming is easy. It's just like anything else. One has to learn to walk before they can run. Most certainly, it is difficult at first. But once one learns the fundamentals, the imagination you can pour into it is magical.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:53 PM

Awww I want my month off. :whistling:

Seriously, I think I'm taking a week off, then I'll get that itch to be pounding away on something, yelling at the computer, trying to make it do what I want it to do. I was thinking that if I wait a month to start my next class, I may end up taking 2 steps backwards.

Anyway, thanks for the cheerleading! I may tackle some of the challenges in Student's Corner over the holiday.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:28 AM

Heh ye the holiday periods are the best time to learn, as you get to work on fun projects you enjoy without deadlines or grades!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:10 PM

woot

I rember that thread. Good on ya, here's to more problem solving and learning experiences.

salute!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#8 BenignDesign  Icon User is online

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:35 AM

I obviously can't speak for everyone here, but I prefer to spend my holidays kicked back, relaxing, and not even thinking about code.

I love what I do, but I also love to spend two weeks per year NOT doing what I do.

But that's just me. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:43 PM

You need a job role that is only 30% coding.... that way 70% of your time can be divided up as Analyst, DBA, and other duties as assigned.

:D

This post has been edited by AlbuquerqueApache: 13 December 2011 - 12:44 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:51 PM

I remember thinking two years ago "wow dis is bullshit" (that's how I typed too :\). I'm so glad I didn't give up! I really can't imagine what else would be a good fit for me.

But anyways, I tip my hat to you :). Congratulations!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:41 AM

Okay, I can't resist.. I got a 100 on my final, and an A in my class (Introduction to C++)!!!

I'm a little giddy, but I'm really Type A so forgive the gloat

:clap:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:54 AM

Kudos on the class!

Just curious - what was the coolest thing you learned in that class? How about the hardest?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:06 AM

Hmmm.... the coolest thing I learned was loops, there are so many different kinds it took some playing around with cause and effect to really GET it.

I also think it's really cool that I now have the confidence to be able to write a program. I had one assignment that had me in tears. I ended up doing shots at the computer. But now I know that I CAN do it, and it doesn't take forever any more. I may have an issue or 2, but I can usually figure it out.

The hardest thing, was doing geometric formulas in code. We had an assignment where we had to calculate the volume of half a sphere, volume of a cylinder, etc. "Building" a virtual sea world type park, and we had to code a program that would do bids for concrete, seating area, etc etc.

The problem statement was about 4 pages long, and I had to jump through some serious mental hoops to figure it all out. It was really confusing, translating a formula into variables, and then rewriting the formula with said variables (and constants. This was the program that had me doing shots of tequila at 3 AM.

Biggest pain in the ass award goes to:

Making flowcharts.

My teacher was anal about them, and the last ones I made were about 6 pages long in a Word doc. It usually took me longer to make the flowchart than it did to code the program.

This post has been edited by synlight: 14 December 2011 - 10:07 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:41 PM

View Postsynlight, on 14 December 2011 - 12:06 PM, said:

Hmmm.... the coolest thing I learned was loops, there are so many different kinds it took some playing around with cause and effect to really GET it.

I also think it's really cool that I now have the confidence to be able to write a program. I had one assignment that had me in tears. I ended up doing shots at the computer. But now I know that I CAN do it, and it doesn't take forever any more. I may have an issue or 2, but I can usually figure it out.

The hardest thing, was doing geometric formulas in code. We had an assignment where we had to calculate the volume of half a sphere, volume of a cylinder, etc. "Building" a virtual sea world type park, and we had to code a program that would do bids for concrete, seating area, etc etc.

The problem statement was about 4 pages long, and I had to jump through some serious mental hoops to figure it all out. It was really confusing, translating a formula into variables, and then rewriting the formula with said variables (and constants. This was the program that had me doing shots of tequila at 3 AM.

Biggest pain in the ass award goes to:

Making flowcharts.

My teacher was anal about them, and the last ones I made were about 6 pages long in a Word doc. It usually took me longer to make the flowchart than it did to code the program.

Flowchats are the bane of my existance. If I never have to do flow charts again, I wil be happy. BTW how do you drink that stuff *shudder*.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 BenignDesign  Icon User is online

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:41 AM

AHH! I LOVE FLOWCHARTS!!!one!!11!!

When I was in college, I made quite a bit of bank tutoring the Computer Logic students... teaching them how to think logically and how to make flowcharts.

I think everything in life should be subject to an initial flowcharting procedure.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +