4 Replies - 1102 Views - Last Post: 12 December 2011 - 03:36 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Junior in CS... feel like I'm lacking in my knowledge base

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:03 PM

Hi, I'm a junior in my colleges CS dept this year. I came to college a couple years ago having absolutely zero coding experience and I've definitely learned a lot since then. I do very well in my CS classes (i.e my major GPA is over 3.5), but I feel like compared to a lot of other students I lack a lot of experience. I mainly haven't done much outside of classwork in terms of my studies and I really want to change that. I've talked to other CS students who have done a number of things and just seem more fluent with more languages and with a better understanding of just about everything CS related with me and so when I work with them on projects sometimes I feel stupid as it takes me longer to process things and catch on to what's going on since a lot of it is new to me still.

Most of my class work has been working in java, c, and c++. I have done a few cool things like build an android VoIP service and a shell, but I haven't really done any coding projects on my own like a lot of others. I want to work more with other languages (i.e. ruby, php, etc...), but i don't know where to start. I'm assuming a lot of you have worked on various personal interest projects in the past. What are some cool things you have done? I just want some brief ideas of things that I could start doing myself so that I could further my programming knowledge and maybe feel like a real CS major by the time I graduate.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Junior in CS... feel like I'm lacking in my knowledge base

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Junior in CS... feel like I'm lacking in my knowledge base

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:14 PM

Well there are two major project lists you can check out.. plus the 'share your project' subforum has great ideas as well.

http://www.dreaminco...ect-ideas-list/
http://www.dreaminco...-project-ideas/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:29 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 10 December 2011 - 07:14 PM, said:

Well there are two major project lists you can check out.. plus the 'share your project' subforum has great ideas as well.

http://www.dreaminco...ect-ideas-list/
http://www.dreaminco...-project-ideas/

Didn't even realize there was one of those. Thanks for the help!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:27 PM

You could join an open source project where you can write needed modules or patch bugs. Check GitHub, Source Forge, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:36 PM

Also aside from personal projects I would highly consider finding internships in CS. I've done a few, I got paid nicely, and gained a lot of valuable experience in the research department. Which even if your not heading theres still tons of valuable experience. I learned how to be a pretty good programmer in assembly for wireless sensor nodes and I'm currently learning how to program for a parallel computer.

Personal projects are great but sometimes internships and stuff force you to work on them much harder. Although, when I do have time I try to work on my own projects.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1