13 Replies - 1287 Views - Last Post: 12 December 2011 - 04:21 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Choosing a Language && (Game Programming)

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:33 PM

Hey thanks for checking out my question

please help me select the best game engine / language to program in based on the following
I am about to write a game in flash but If anyone has alternatives which may offer similar ease in designing the graphics and simplicity to write code

for what I want to do I would like a relatively large world and may require faster code for the gamers to enjoy

This is going to be my first time writing a game(besides example games from books)... but I am an intermediate-advanced level programmer... the graphical design is mostly my downfall (cool looking characters and their movements etc)

in the end I really dont mind if the game is on the web or a desktop game or both.. I have big ideas however and its going to be a large and adventurous game

Thanks again!

PS: I know c,c++,c#,java, python, flash, and lots of others etc so i'm really open to ideas and game engines to learn (but I really would prefer ones that allow you to push forward fast with your concepts which is how I interpret flash to be)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Choosing a Language && (Game Programming)

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Choosing a Language && (Game Programming)

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:00 PM

I don't get it:

1. You know a variety of languages.
2. You claim to be and intermediate to advanced level programmer.

Yet you cannot work out which languages and tools to use to make a game according to your requirements?!
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:19 PM

View PostButchDean, on 11 December 2011 - 06:00 PM, said:

I don't get it:

Yet you cannot work out which languages and tools to use to make a game according to your requirements?!

new to game programming and no experience with game engines

View Postnewyear498, on 11 December 2011 - 06:16 PM, said:

View PostButchDean, on 11 December 2011 - 06:00 PM, said:

I don't get it:

new to game programming and no experience with game engines

and again weakness is the graphics aspect of it all thanks
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:16 AM

We answer this question on an almost daily basis, and the answer is always the same. There is no best language, you need to work out your requirements and do the research on your own. All we can give you is our opinion and it may not be right for you.

So you have chosen to use flash, is there any reason you are now looking to use something else? does it lack a feature you require?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:43 AM

View Poststayscrisp, on 12 December 2011 - 02:16 AM, said:

We answer this question on an almost daily basis, and the answer is always the same. There is no best language, you need to work out your requirements and do the research on your own. All we can give you is our opinion and it may not be right for you.

So you have chosen to use flash, is there any reason you are now looking to use something else? does it lack a feature you require?

Hey, so the thing with flash is that its graphics are so so, 2D for the most part and its going to take myself as someone who is not the greatest artist in the wold a while to pop them out into a 3d setting like 3rd person style

for example I am looking into unity3d right now as it appears to be as simple to get your ideas up and going while offering an interface that allows you to create more 3D worlds quickly (I am going off of what I've seen and read havent played in it yet)

The other issue with flash is its obviously from the slowest end of running code out there so if I make two many features I'm sure I'll start bogging down everyones computer.. trying to get the performance on my game as close to the professional C++ big corporation games minus the fact its only me working on this as a for fun aspect (i'm not doing this to try to make money and become a pro game developer and currently have no team)

Thanks again for your help.. and I realize now my question deals more with finding a good game engine / graphics for myself than maybe "best language" forgive my wording of topic as I was just trying to get my thought out there
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:13 AM

You should go with Unity3D, BlitzBasic(BlitzBasic) or maybe DarkBasic.

PS: I know c,c++,c#,java, python, flash, and lots of others etc

If this was correct then i think you should be able to find a game engine or even make one yourself instead of asking this question.

And if graphics is your problem then you should browse the web or find some friend that can draw.. There is a graphics forum here on DIC: http://www.dreaminco...graphic-design/

This post has been edited by TheCompBoy: 12 December 2011 - 10:15 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:28 AM

View PostTheCompBoy, on 12 December 2011 - 10:13 AM, said:

You should go with Unity3D, BlitzBasic(BlitzBasic) or maybe DarkBasic.

PS: I know c,c++,c#,java, python, flash, and lots of others etc

If this was correct then i think you should be able to find a game engine or even make one yourself instead of asking this question.

And if graphics is your problem then you should browse the web or find some friend that can draw.. There is a graphics forum here on DIC: http://www.dreaminco...graphic-design/

Not looking to spend time developing a game engine, and sure I can find a game engine whats the point of a forum then to forward everyone who has a question to google search engine? to me its to hear and interact with others who have the experience with some of the game engines and maybe get their opinion and pro and cons to fit what I'm looking for

I got some engines in mind but figured someone would have a few suggestions related to what I'm looking for, I have no idea which game engines are easy to get up and running.. and I don't want to spend my whole life trying out every one to find out

thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:52 AM

I don't understand your requirements.

What sort of game is this going to be? Browser based or desktop? A casual game, or something more hard core? Single player, indirect multiplayer, or multiplayer functional? 2d, 2.5d, or 3d? Is this going to be complex inventory system and random encounters (final fantasy), or something more arcade based like robot attack unicorn?

Do you want something to write the code for you? If so go try using that 'game maker' hack of an app. If you don't mind working with code then unity's your best bet. You can try out some XNA engines

http://forums.create...2882/67856.aspx
http://www.visual3d.net/

The last three to four pages (here) of recently history have a plethora of "where do i start?" questions. You might get a better handle flipping through those.

Doom3's source went open. Tinker with that?
http://www.dreaminco...doom3-released/

There are a plethora of options (and pinatas for El Guapo) but they all have their niches. If you would elaborate on you requirements folks can help... or if you have a particular few you would like to know if anyone has worked with that would be equally excellent.

I have no idea which game engines are easy to get up and running.. and I don't want to spend my whole life trying out every one to find out

"Easy" relative to what? Another issue is I can't judge your current skill set or ability to code so what is easy for me may not be easy for you. Remember - all I am running on is what little you have told us. If you articulate what you have floating around in your head then people can better direct their replies versus taking in nebulous questions and outputting nebulous replies!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:26 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 12 December 2011 - 10:52 AM, said:

I don't understand your requirements.

What sort of game is this going to be? Browser based or desktop? A casual game, or something more hard core? Single player, indirect multiplayer, or multiplayer functional? 2d, 2.5d, or 3d? Is this going to be complex inventory system and random encounters (final fantasy), or something more arcade based like robot attack unicorn?

Do you want something to write the code for you? If so go try using that 'game maker' hack of an app. If you don't mind working with code then unity's your best bet. You can try out some XNA engines

http://forums.create...2882/67856.aspx
http://www.visual3d.net/

The last three to four pages (here) of recently history have a plethora of "where do i start?" questions. You might get a better handle flipping through those.

Doom3's source went open. Tinker with that?
http://www.dreaminco...doom3-released/

There are a plethora of options (and pinatas for El Guapo) but they all have their niches. If you would elaborate on you requirements folks can help... or if you have a particular few you would like to know if anyone has worked with that would be equally excellent.

I have no idea which game engines are easy to get up and running.. and I don't want to spend my whole life trying out every one to find out

"Easy" relative to what? Another issue is I can't judge your current skill set or ability to code so what is easy for me may not be easy for you. Remember - all I am running on is what little you have told us. If you articulate what you have floating around in your head then people can better direct their replies versus taking in nebulous questions and outputting nebulous replies!

Yes I'll try to be more clear understand I'm writing shit fast in between things last few thanks

I'd like to have it be a desktop game or have the feel of a desktop game.. but bringing it to the web definitively makes it easier to access

not sure what 2.5d is... here is the view like 3rd person 3Dish view I would like similar to sid meiers pirates
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=G43AYE3C4LA

first 20 seconds should give you the idea

and this would be single player both complex inventory and random encounters

I dont mind working with code, but I'd prefer it be like actionscript where its simple, unity has the javascript its simple and fast to get your concept going.. where are c++ would be a little more work to get your concepts going (which most of my concepts are simple ones.. they typical open an item move around gaming stuff)

Finally its for fun project so I dont want to pay any more for crazy software.. I still don't understand really whats up with unity.. I know its free except I need the pro version to sell it (any more information on this would be great).. does the free version lack anything major or have stupid overlays on the screen ("free version of unity")

I like the idea of unity, heard some things about UDK but seems for more serious developers then I am, with directX and openGL for the most serious (and finally keep in mind its just me doing the entire game)

Thanks again for your help its much appreciated
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:44 PM

What do you know about how games are developed?

This post has been edited by ButchDean: 12 December 2011 - 12:45 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:36 PM

View PostButchDean, on 12 December 2011 - 12:44 PM, said:

What do you know about how games are developed?

I'm not sure how to answer that question so that probably means near nothing especially if it comes down to professional game industry(but again I'm not shooting to become a professional game developer at this current time)

My idea to develop my game is a simple one.. sketch out all the ideas on paper what I want where etc.. draw and design all of the characters, worlds, and such.. and finally code in the interactive aspects

also I read some of your blog the other day which was a good read but I'm definitively not aiming to make it my career right now

thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:58 PM

Okay, thanks.

Here is what I think you need to do to get your game developed:

1. Get the details of the design down, because if you don't know the feel of the game you won't know its requirements, and therefore which tools to use.
2. Once the design is nailed, you need to very specifically decide the platform that you would like to code it for.
3. Once you have this planned out you can start to see which options are available and discuss those with whoever.
4. Given that you have no experience whatsoever of developing games, I feel this spec is too complicated for you alone. I would look into getting someone else to help you program whatever you decide the game will be, or better still, spend time writing very basic games.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:54 PM

View PostButchDean, on 12 December 2011 - 01:58 PM, said:

Okay, thanks.

Here is what I think you need to do to get your game developed:

1. Get the details of the design down, because if you don't know the feel of the game you won't know its requirements, and therefore which tools to use.
2. Once the design is nailed, you need to very specifically decide the platform that you would like to code it for.
3. Once you have this planned out you can start to see which options are available and discuss those with whoever.
4. Given that you have no experience whatsoever of developing games, I feel this spec is too complicated for you alone. I would look into getting someone else to help you program whatever you decide the game will be, or better still, spend time writing very basic games.

Well said, I am probably jumping to fast ahead in my thinking.. anyways thanks for everyones help and I didn't mean to waste anyones time with an unclear message

I'm having some thoughts of postponing my idea.. or maybe taking the graphical aspect down a level.. I could always release a second version which moved into a better game engine and use flash for the first time around

Thanks again
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:21 PM

That sounds like a better plan. Good luck. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1