• +
  • Last »

58 Replies - 2082 Views - Last Post: 18 December 2011 - 05:18 PM

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

The worst experience of your life

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:24 AM

What's the worst thing you've ever experienced?

Mine would be a backpacking trip up Copper Peak, here in Washington. It was me, my mom's boyfriend, his 2 kids, and my brother. The mountain is the 18th tallest and the climb up is a class 3-4 (meaning moderate-hard, there's a chance of dying if you mess up D:). Me and my bro had no experience in this sorta stuff. We had 3 days to summit, which was more than enough. Everything started out fine at first. The weather was perfect and there weren't that many bugs out. We climbed for the whole day and eventually reached the end of our scenery, which was replaced by the side of a smaller mountain that had a large amount of ice and rocks.

It looked like this:
Posted Image

Except this picture must be from some other side/time, because there was a cliff at the end of the ice, meaning if we fell/slipped, we would probably die. We survived that too, and reached the first lake. There's another one but it's not good for camping at. We found a good spot and setup our tent, made a fire, ate, and slept.

Now here's where it sucked. I was told that we were going to be in eastern Washington and that it would be around 70 degrees. And remembering my last backpacking trip, I figured I would pack a small blanket for the night. Well it turns out night time is cold, and it dipped below freezing. Everybody was fine, except for me. I was freezing my ass off. I don't think I got more than 20 minutes of sleep that night, because it felt like forever. Plus having to piss like 3 times sucked (however, one time while I was taking a piss I looked up and saw the stars. If you want to see the most beautiful sky ever, go into the mountains at night. It almost made the whole trip worth it).

Anyways, it gets morning and I make a fire before everyone is up. I'm exhausted and can barely form a coherent sentence, but I brought along a 5-hour-energy which did help some. Not going to bore you with details, but we basically climbed to the second lake (frozen) where us kids decided to stay while my mom's bf summited. I took a nap and woke up and decided to climb back down to camp with one other kid. The trip back felt like forever, and I couldn't even walk. It was more like a controlled-fall in which I just stumbled over everything. We were at the backside of the first lake and we had to walk a trail right on the edge of a cliff which drops straight into the water with some sharp boulders sticking out. I stumbled over something, and fell. Scariest moment of my life (lol). Luckily, my feet caught a tiny ledge in the rock that prevented me from falling any further.

So I survived that and we make it back to camp. Now there's another problem, mosquitoes. They were everywhere for some reason. I never noticed them before but I did now. They were also relentless. The tent was inhabbitable due to the heat, and everywhere we went they followed. Eventually I had the bright idea to cover ourselfs with mud. So that's what we did. We went down to an ice cold river and found a nice puddle of this weird mud/moss stuff which we proceeded to cover ourselves with. As it turns out, mosquitoes bite through mud. There were less, but they were still there. We basically endured them until nightfall when everybody else returned. The mud dried and we scratched it off. I had the one of the kids count how many bites I have, there were over 250.

It was time to sleep again. This time I wrapped my feet in old shirts and put on one of the other kids coats and I was able to sleep a little more, only this time I have the worst cramps ever. I think I had something like 4 feet cramps and 3 leg ones, all throughout the night. Which also resulted in me sitting up and freaking out. Needless to say I wasn't the most liked person there that night, and I also got sleepless night filled with pain.

We woke up, broke down camp, and hiked back to the car, where we proceeded to drive to the nearest town and ate some good burgers and fries.

So yeah, suckiest time of my life.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: The worst experience of your life

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: The worst experience of your life

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:47 AM

POPULAR

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Creecher: 12 December 2011 - 02:48 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:00 AM

Damn man, that's some brutal stuff right there. I can't say I've ever had to deal with that. But one time I was camping and it just wouldn't stop raining and my Dad and I crawled into our tent, we had to leave our shoes right at the entrance they were so soaked. We both stripped to our underwear and got in our sleeping bags. It was also lightning and you could see the flashes through the tent. And the thunder was so loud. It was so close I thought I was gonna die. The only thing keeping me from bailing was that secret code you have when your around other guys. You can't be a pussy. You know that code?

Well anyway the whole night it was impossible to sleep because it was like someone was shining a flashlight in your eyes every 5 seconds from the lightning. So I lay awake scared I was going to die by getting struck by lightning or having a tree fall on our tent. Longest freaking 6 hours of my life.

Edit: Here I find out in the morning only like 3 people stayed at the camp site that night and 2 of them were my dad and me. hahahaha :(

This post has been edited by Sheph: 12 December 2011 - 03:02 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:46 AM

The worst experience of my life is not fit for display on a public forum. Let's just say it was bad juju and misa almos got dead.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:53 AM

Yeah...if that's your worst experience so far, you're either exceptionally young or exceptionally lucky or both.

My worst experience isn't something I'd voluntarily relive or wish on anyone ever and is also inappropriate for casual discussion on a forum.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:05 AM

Amen to that Craig and B9.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:17 AM

It sounds more like a litany of bad decisions =p
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 lordofduct  Icon User is online

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:25 AM

Eastern WA... it's the desert. Hot in day, freezing at night. My mum used to live in Yakima, spent the summers there, very cold, lots of crank...

As for worst experience in our lives. Son, if some of us told you our worst experiences, this thread might become your worst experience.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:27 AM

How about we alter the ground of this topic to: worst lighthearted event of your life due to your own stupidity.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#10 lordofduct  Icon User is online

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:55 AM

That may be fun... there was the hooker on strawberry hill (a truck stop in Virginia my father always referred to as strawberry hill, it was a habitual pit stop for all of us in the family who drove).

The Hooker on Strawberry Hill

See when I was a teenager my father dragged me onto the road in the tractor trailer so I would learn what it is to be a man and not a sniveling little snot brained twerp who thought drugs and fighting were what made you a man. I got my ass beat up and down the east coast hauling cars for mostly rich cunts who vacationed in South Florida for the winter.

The road holds many a story for anyone who wants to go looking. But be warned they are stories that may alter your life in ways that you may not originally expect. Not for the worst, not for the best, but for the strange and the bizarre. There was this hill in Virginia that housed several truck stops that drivers all up and down the east coast would stop and rest, a modern day saloon of some sorts, packed to the brim with the usual saloon fair; drinking, drugs, food, motels, and lets not forget the roads most endearing refuse, the scabby lot lizard. She is a formiddable beast, afeared of her whoremonger, addicted to her smack, and willing to do whatever it takes to get at your wallet. I've considered that the name strawberry hill may have come from long lost stories of my fathers experiences in this realm that weren't really mentioned anymore.

At this time my father drove a beat up old Freightligner that had no climate control to be heard of. The door handles barely functioned and the locks were no where to be found. We left the windows open at night and shoved screens in them so as not to die of heat exhaustion in the night. On one plane summer evening I was stretched between the driver seat and passenger seat with a cooler under my ass to prop it up where there was no seat. I could hardly sleep and kind of just stared up at the ceiling of the truck contemplating how the fuck it was I ended up in this truck. All of a sudden the door to our truck swung open and a raspy little voice queried the cab as to its residence.

"Hey honey, who ordered some sweet meat?"

She proceeded to climb up into our cab and sit right on my face, unnoticing of the young 17 year old boy now nose deep in stink crevice. My father shot out of his bed holding his 9mm out and staring into the dark cab silhouetted by the parking lot lights.

"Who the fuck is in here?"

"Calm down baby, I'm here for..."

"Who the fuck... oh... we're not interested in your services."

"But maybe you are..."

"No, WE are not. And if you could, kindly remove yourself from my sons face."

The girl finally lifted her self from me despite the fact I had been clawing and scwarming to get out from under her for a while now. I dove out of the truck right from under her in a huge gasp of breath. I laid prone on the pavement spitting up and gasping in a rather dramatic manner while also splashing any filthy oil soaked puddles into my face to wash god knows what from my face. I then notice the ridiculous pair of shoes standing only a few feet from me. I follow the ridiculous blue pant leg up to the comicly stereotypical blue satin overcoat and hat. There in front of me was the pimpest pimp who ever pimped this side of the Mississippi. In one hand was the cane, and the other...

A stack of christmas presents. All wrapped nicely in festive christmas paper. It was July.

He's now yelling up into the cab to tell his tramp that she better not lose another sale as my father launches her from his truck and proceeds to scare the duo away like a pair of stray cats. I just blindly stumble away in the dense air towards the truck stop showers, hand over a token, and take one of the longest showers of my life.

(Sorry if any of you already heard this story. It is one of my favourite "light-hearted" stories in my collection, and I've been working on the presentation of the anecdote for quite some time.)

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 12 December 2011 - 09:00 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:07 AM

View Postcreativecoding, on 12 December 2011 - 03:24 AM, said:

What's the worst thing you've ever experienced?
Mine would be a backpacking trip up Copper Peak, here in Washington.

[tale full of suck omitted]

We woke up, broke down camp, and hiked back to the car, where we proceeded to drive to the nearest town and ate some good burgers and fries.

So yeah, suckiest time of my life.

A friend of mine likes to say that adventure is simply discomfort in retrospect. Focus on the stars in that story, and it'll become the best time you ever had in your life.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:18 AM

I'm living through the (seemingly) worst experience in my life right now. I suffered a mild concussion in 2005 after fainting from heat exhaustion. The side of my head crashed into the corner of my TV. I blacked out and woke up in a daze. So you know, I brush it off, figure that what's done is done, no need to go to the hospital. The next day (or some time later) I go to a concert with my buddies and I'm extremely paranoid, rather I should say panicking. Mind you, I've never ever had anxiety. I had always been a perfectly healthy young man. I'm at a concert with 10,000 people. I'm not having fun. I'm anxious and I just want to leave.

Fast-forwarding in the story, about a week later I get on the train and go back to school and visit the clinic. As my luck may have it, I caught allergic conjunctivitis before coming back to school (doing some yard work). So, now I'm feeling anxious, tired, and I have a eye full of pus. The clinic doctors treated my eye quickly and everything was all good, but I tell them I've been feeling very tired and sort of "sick." Even after my eye cleared up I still felt "sick." I never mention having the head injury. At that point I thought the allergies were the cause of everything.

Make a long story short, it took three years for a doctor to finally recognize that I was depressed. By that time I had racked up major debt in school and wasn't on course to graduate. I ended up leaving the IT program because I didn't have a 2.75 GPA, so I switched to CS and did terrible. I eventually left school because I couldn't even hold down a job to pay my rent.

After realizing that depression was problem, I asked myself how this could be. Then the light bulb in my head went off, remembering that dam head injury and how my symptoms started immediately after. I filed for medical disability two years ago and been on it since. I can't even bring myself to be around people. No friends. No job. Nothing. And mind you, I am indeed "a social person."

I've been on tons of medications that haven't worked. I'm currently saving up $3000 for a treatment that's somewhat like electroshock therapy, but a little less invasive. They are going to try and revive the neurons in my frontal lobe. The ones I may have damaged as a result of the head injury. The ones that appear to be dysfunctional in seriously clinically depressed people. It's called TMS therapy.

So, yeah, this experience certainly isn't fun.

This post has been edited by blackcompe: 13 December 2011 - 04:06 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:24 AM

Ah to live as LoD has lived. Actually, nevermind.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:36 AM

So, now I'm feeling anxious, tired, and I have a eye full of pus.

On the bright side, "Eye Full of Pus" would be a great name for a punk band...

Sorry, not meaning to make fun, that sounds like an absolutely wretched situation to be in. Depression's a bitch, and being sick in America is just a bad move. If you had to injure yourself, I would have suggested being born in Finland or someplace with a health care system.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:40 AM

I ran out of mountain dew once.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -