6 Replies - 4527 Views - Last Post: 14 December 2011 - 09:51 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

A book for beginning Java using the IDE Eclipse

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:27 AM

Dear following members of Dream in Code,

:genius:

I have tried searching for a book about Java using the IDE Eclipse. The search strings I have used is, without the quotation marks:

"Java+IDE+Eclipse+Book", "Java+IDE+Eclipse", "Java with IDE Eclipse books"

and some combination of above.

The result has not been not that recent. Some threads from 2008, 2009 and then some discussions about NetBeans VS Eclipse. But no book suggestion.

So what I am looking for is a beginners book for Java with the Java version 6 and have the IDE Eclipse as the software for me as reader to use.

Today, I have the book "Teach yourself Java in 24 hours" by Rogers Cadenhead, Fifth edition. It is good, but I am not so happy with the authors use of "everyday" language in his effort to make the introduction to programming easier.

I hope I put it in the right section. If I was wrong, please, move me to the right forum and write a few lines so I know to the next time :)

Yours Truly
WinkyCode
:smartass:
"In search of knowledage"

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: A book for beginning Java using the IDE Eclipse

• Death Scythe
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: A book for beginning Java using the IDE Eclipse

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:10 AM

I suggest the book "Head First in Java," because that's what I started with and it's great! Also, you can learn about Eclipse here. There aren't really any books that tell you how to program in Java with Eclipse because Eclipse is just an IDE.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:15 AM

View PostThe_Programmer-, on 13 December 2011 - 07:10 PM, said:

I suggest the book "Head First in Java," because that's what I started with and it's great! Also, you can learn about Eclipse here. There aren't really any books that tell you how to program in Java with Eclipse because Eclipse is just an IDE.

:flowers: You have a + as thanks for replaying!

:nervous: Cool! Never thought of that solution. I have now bookmarked the link and saved it in my Google Calc document for bookmarks. Hey! I will probably save a tree or two for reading a tutorial online! :balloon:

Yes, but study books use different IDEs for their example. As I mentioned, the book "Learn Java in 24 hours", the author was bias for NetBeans as an IDE for his example code in the book. Also, the navigation was also taken from NetBeans.

NetBeans is all right, but I am curious to Eclipse. I have seen some study books about Java and Eclipse as authors bias IDE. Sadly, I can't remember the title and thus, I can't track the book down. :oops:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Critical Section
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:48 AM

it doesn't matter what IDE you are using, java is the same. The code that that runs in netbeans will also run in eclipse or any other dev environment. So I don't think if you need to bias on any IDE. You can use command prompt or terminal also for practicing. What you need exactly is the syntax and good practice for java coding.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• There is nothing you can't do with a JTable
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:23 PM

View PostWinkyCode, on 14 December 2011 - 08:15 AM, said:

NetBeans is all right, but I am curious to Eclipse. I have seen some study books about Java and Eclipse as authors bias IDE. Sadly, I can't remember the title and thus, I can't track the book down. :oops:

They are two different things do you think you can find books on:
- How to use Notepad to code in Java
- How to use Notepad to code in C++
- How to use Notepad to code in Assembler
- How to use Notepad to code in COBOL
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:33 PM

Did you look through amazon?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#7 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:51 PM

We have a thread in Java Programmers on which book to choose. I'm going to close this thread so as to direct discussion there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1