• +

31 Replies - 5633 Views - Last Post: 21 December 2011 - 03:28 PM

#1 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

2011 Year end review!

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:14 PM

We are looking at short time left for 2011, and it is a great moment for a critical look back over the last year...

So, how did the year go for you?
Did you make any goals you set?
What did you learn that was new or exciting in the programming world?
How about in the personal life?
How have you grown as a person?
Would you rank this a good year or bad? Oh.. let's make it a scale!

-10 = worst year ever
0 = pretty bland year
10 = greatest year ever!

Any expectations for 2012 (clearly before the earth cracks open and a tsunami of chupacabras are unleashed from the bowels of hell on 2012.12.21)

-------------------

For the most part I have to say this was a good year for me. I was able to scrimp enough to get my credit card paid off (since six for-evers ago when it started accumulating), got a newer car (it happens with your ride of ten years catches on fire while driving), and I got a contract job that turned into fulltime work. Lost a few friends, had some heart break, the family dynamic was changed, and I was intermittently reintroduced to anxiety attacks.

Code/tech wise was a good and varied year. I picked up a base understanding of android programming, jumped back with some intro electronics and robotics programming, thrashed around more with advanced web development, fine tuned some digital painting, and poked at some IT security skills. Oh and was made a mod here!

Goal wise I am a few short from my initial list. Close on one or two, but cest la vie; there's always next year.

If anything I think I've grown more detached in my view of most things. It's unclear if that's for the better or worse.

Scale: +4

View for 2012: more robotics, bringing back my AI brain nuggets, better art skills, and more tablet coding.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: 2011 Year end review!

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: 2011 Year end review!

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:26 PM

My year went pretty good.

Got a 20K raise this year, that's a definite win in my book!

My mum who moved down to Florida (bad idea) the year prior to live with me has moved out to live with my brother instead. Also a win in my book, she likes the north east better any how.

Stupid home owner's insurance company dropped me... again. "Risk Assesment", otherwise known as "you live in Florida and you aren't a million dollar home". A bit miffed about that.

Me and my ladies relationship has reached a new level of respect I'd say. I've come to the conclusion I'd like to spend the rest of my life with her... we're not the "marriage" or "rings" type though. We're looking into her moving in with me, or at least staying more often when she doesn't have class (university is a long train ride south for her, and she doesn't drive).

Programming/Tech wise I've grown at a usual rate. I'm still enjoying programming a lot, I have to look more to my personal projects to challenge myself though... work stopped being challenging this year.

Over all I'd give it a +4 to +5... a few points docked for some nuisances that had to be had to get where I am at the end of the year. But the ends certainly made it all worth it.

view for 2012: I have several ideas in the revolver, just not sure which one I'm going to fire off first. Looks to be a good year for the most part... really though with where I came from, there's only one direction... up!

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 12 December 2011 - 02:28 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:26 PM

Adding a poll with 20 options from -10 to +10 might be nice
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:35 PM

@tlhin - Ha.. hardly would I *THAT* obnoxious.

@lod - just say'n, but among my skills and hobbies I am an ordained minister. That was another interesting adventure this year - I performed a wedding that was silmulcasted across horse gambling halls through out the land in July. That also picked up the 'shortest ceremony' achievement; previously held by a ceremony the back of a resteraunt last December.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:42 PM

This year was pretty good for me I hit some milestones this year.

For goals, I completed my degree this year which is good and I think I really started to understand Java and actually get the big picture.

Programming wise I discovered Android and have decided that is what I want to focus on as I can create programs for a growing market and hopefully make some cash on the side. I am currently working on a app that will showcase what I understand and hopefully help me score a coding job.

Personal life wise, my wife and I made to out 5 year anniversary and took a little trip to celebrate. She also finished her degree and got her certifications to teach in but has yet to find a job due to all the budget cuts in Texas. Kids grew up a little and I am enjoying the family life.

I think I have grown as a person, I have always been laid back and sort of a pushover but this year I have stood my ground some more both at work and at home. Punishing my kids has been hard to do but it is what is best for them.

This year I would rate a +6 for me, could have been better if my wife had got a job or if I would have completed my app by my deadline but some things came up with work and traveling that made it hard.

For next year, I want to make a resolution to program for at least an hour a day (more if possible), probably gonna make that happen by waking up earlier as night time is spent with the kids then chores adn then to damn tired to think. I will be looking for a coding job as my job now is in IT but not coding all day which is what I want to do. Hopefully my wife finds a job. Probably all that will happen then the world will go to crap.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:35 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:48 PM

@neo - I was in a similar boat from Oct -> January of this year. It sucks quite a bit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:03 PM

Yeah. If you follow my twitter/facespace, you've gotten the gist of it, but if not, I'm not gonna post it here, just believe me that it's damn near a novel.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:06 PM

View PostNeoTifa, on 12 December 2011 - 05:35 PM, said:

Awww. :(

I'd give my year a 6. I started out the year just wanting any job and ended up with my first IT job. It's a nice feeling starting your career rather than just another job. I also received an associate's degree on my way to my bachelor's - not that an associates seems to mean much these days, but it was nice to hit a little milestone in my school career. This year, I also got serious about someone, which used to be a scary thought to me, but I guess when you meet the right person, not having them in your life is an even scarier thought.

Although a lot of good things happened this year, I've had to deal with the grief of losing loved ones for the first time in my life. My grandfather died at the beginning of the year, and my grandmother just passed in September.

Personally, I've developed quite a bit this year. I used to just sort of wait for things to happen to me, but now if I want something, I've learned that I've got to make it happen. I had a period where I was too lazy to go through the work of achieving my goals. Now, even when there are a million other things I'd rather be doing, I have the willpower to get what I need done. Even though I still procrastinate sometimes, the improvement over myself last year is ten fold, and I just feel really good about that.

As for next year, I'd like to become a more comfortable programmer. Right now, I'm still coming to grips with basic concepts, I'm still learning how to think about and attack problems, and I feel like I still need to look up a lot before I can get to actual coding. I am hoping to finish up my bachelor's degree next year and possibly start on a masters. I want to make time to exercise and eat properly. I also want to beat all the video games I went crazy buying last Christmas when they all went on sale, hehe.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:24 PM

Well, I can recount the majority I guess, greentext style

>Had awesome job at base
>Made $13.66 per hour, but still struggling
>Applying for promotion/raise to GS-5 with $15.50 an hour
>Excited
>Just as I was going to send it out, get email talking about debt crisis
>Getting laid off
>Bosses sign a waiver to keep me
>I'm safe for another year
>"Haha! JK!" says the boss
>"gtfo!" says Sec. of the A.F.
>Have 9 days to find job
>Either overqualified or underqualified for every job I apply to
>Find job after 2 months
>Now work 3rd shift min wage at a gas station
>Working 2x the hours for half the money
>Now $5000 in debt
>Potentially getting kicked out of apartment because of it
>Losing car
>Shut off notices
>Somebody stole my Skyward Sword from off my doorstep

There's the cliffnotes of my year.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:42 PM

I'm probably +2 or 3.

Interviewed for a ton of jobs, none were a good fit. Got a couple of offers that I ended up turning down.
Remained mostly single, but that's mostly because I'm a dick and don't have time for that shit.
Read some great books, which is always nice.
Have maintained some decent level of physical fitness.
Moved out of my stressful ass-apartment (hyphen misplaced for humor).
Had an awesome car. Sold the awesome car because of recurring brake issues that I was done dealing with.
Fixed my jeep about 30 times, still trucking.
Decided that I definitely wanted to go to graduate school, applied. Realized money was important, applied to schools that might fund me.

What would make next year awesome:
more physical improvement (this is a new year's resolution every year)
graduate school admission and funding
acquisition of a decent car around $8000 or less
Pay off a few small college loans

Skillwise I'm always improving - dabbled in a few things this year including Erlang and practicing C. While I've realized I really like C, I don't have the time or patience to keep up with it unless I can think of some projects I need for it, so it's been put on the back burner.
I've still got Java, I've been using C# at work (I'm by no means amazing, but it's like any other OO language for my uses).
Ruby has been my go-to language for all of my small projects and utilities, and I've definitely become more comfortable with that.
Goals for next year:
Become more comfortable with Sinatra/DataMapper for making web interfaces to apps (I don't plan on becoming a web developer, but the ability to put stuff online is nice)
Clojure
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:51 PM

Plus'es
-Got married
-Lost weight
-Ran in five person relay in a marathon
-Moved from 2nd floor office to street level shop with a store-front
-Received notice that my project car is finished
-Got two new corporate on-going clients
-Hired a part time employee

Baddies
-Got very bad news about my first cat
-Had a mental breakdown, went into shock
-Continuing to lose more hair
-Have yet to picked up project car
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:39 PM

+7

I got into freelancing, very good.
Improved shitty social skills.
Improved my grades, however so slightly.

This year's been good to me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:05 AM

Hm. I'd guess I'd give this year a +4. Referencing back to the Worst Experience of Your Life thread, I'd find it extraordinarily difficult to rate any year a negative with that reminder in mind.

Pluses:
  • Made a little more money this year
  • Kept more of that money through finally getting a stranglehold on our finances
  • My sideline business started picking up (on year 5 of a neverending project)
  • Maintained coding ability and picked up some new tricks with API integration and mashups
  • Wife still loves me
  • Kids still love me
  • Didn't have to attend any funerals this year
  • Got to have two mini-vacations (Florida and Talladega) for the first time in prolly 7-8 years

Minuses:
  • Got screwed on a contract gig by the employer of a friend (had to threaten a lawsuit to get even a portion of what they owed me)
  • Folks health is starting to deteriorate
  • Got a year older
  • Daughter started liking boys
  • Discovered it's still not legal to shoot said boys
  • Didn't lose any weight
  • Didn't get in any better shape

Overall, with a year like 2011, I'll look back on 12/31 as the ball is dropping and see I was fortunate to have work when so many did not, to have my health and the health of my wife and kids when I know others who did not, to live in a place where I don't fear for our safety and to know my kids are growing up to be decent people. I'll see all that and realize that I've had times where I would have given anything to be able to take for granted the things I just mentioned...and because of that, 2011 will be a + year for me.

This post has been edited by Craig328: 13 December 2011 - 07:08 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Born again Pastafarian.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:29 AM

So, how did the year go for you?

Well, I guess.

Did you make any goals you set?

Yes. I made it in to University to study Computer Science, which was major goal for this year.

What did you learn that was new or exciting in the programming world?

My knowledge and confidence in (console) emulation has improved a lot over the last year, especially to do with specific consoles like the N64 and PS2, for example. Similarly, my knowledge of operating system development has taken a steep lerning curve. Of course, I still have a ways to go with both though.

How about in the personal life?

Not all that much.

How have you grown as a person?

Moving out of my parental home to study at University has had a big impact on me. Mainly, making me more independant and generally more confident in myself. This year has been a year of much self improvement.

Would you rank this a good year or bad? Oh.. let's make it a scale!

Any expectations for 2012 (clearly before the earth cracks open and a tsunami of chupacabras are unleashed from the bowels of hell on 2012.12.21)

Not really. I'll just take like as it comes, for now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +