Tired of the "post PC " world yet?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

17 Replies - 606 Views - Last Post: 14 December 2011 - 07:42 PM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Tired of the "post PC " world yet?

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:04 PM

I'm not even going to post any supporting material for this because it's not needed. I'm just ranting about how sick I am of hearing of a "Post PC" world and "Cloud" this and that.

I can understand the marketing hype. Afterall, you have to get some clueless CIOs to buy into something. What I'm getting tired of are the average joes who spout this stuff without giving it much thought. They will, without batting an eye, tell you that the PC is "obsolete".

Ok, I have no problem with obsoletion when a product has truly met the end of it's lifecycle. I also have no problem with more mobile computing. However, most anything of note that I do is on a PC (by PC I'm refering to the traditional desktop or laptop computer regardless of OS). This is true of programmers especially. While I would welcome a more diverse computing enviornment, I just don't see anything that is the powerhouse that the X86 architecture is.

Anyone else want to rant?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Tired of the "post PC " world yet?

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Tired of the "post PC " world yet?

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:12 PM

Well, on the bright side since the sheep are drooling over the tablets, you can get some insanely good deals on some strong laptop computers (you know, the machines that actually let you get work/play done) recently.

So in a strange way, yay for fads.

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 13 December 2011 - 12:13 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:14 PM

haha, cute and awesome wolf.

your're right, I'm eyeballing some nice laptops for a pretty decent price.

:bananaman:

You just made me feel better!

This post has been edited by AlbuquerqueApache: 13 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:41 PM

The industry sort of has to change and recycle ideas just to keep us all employed.

There are only so many ways they can update Quicken or Word. How many new things can you add to a checkbook program? But by changing the entire strategy they make a new market for us programmers as well as the hardware developers. It job security.

I remember back in the 90's (that's the 1990's for you kids) when 'thin-net clients' were going to take over the business sector. No more full-fledged computers. No more software installed on the desktop. Everything would be on the server. If the company had 200 licenses for word then it didn't matter where someone logged in. Is any of this sounding familiar?

• Shift from PC's to non-desktop computing (thin-net, clouds, server-pushed, whatever)
  • Make some software and therefor stay employed.
  • Run out of ideas
  • Shift from non-desktop to PC ranging about how you are no longer bound to connectivity.
  • Make some software and therefor stay employed.
  • Run out of ideas
  • <stack overflow exception: Infinite loop>

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:53 PM

nice wolf, I do have to second that comment, granted, I love nekos and things of the likes, but it is still a very cute pic...

also, although I personally think that cloud based backups are a good option for me seeing as windows is ALWAYS dieing on me, I also do not like the thought of having my personal data stored on something that I do not personally own, maintain, or have physical access to...but then again, seeing as I'm constantly being hacked if they succeed, and getting viruses, that makes me paranoid, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, because you are more aware of things around you...but that also makes one not trust many things that shouldn't be something to worry about... but I do agree with you there, it is getting annoying hearing about all of that all of the time... and personally, I do not think that anyone should worry about the desktop becoming obsolete, because even if servers become the go to hardware for everyone, your internet connection will be the deciding factor for whether that is a good solution or not, so for those of us that have slow internet, they will be the people that keep the desktop PC prevalent for a long time, even if servers do become the main hardware (which I don't see happening) it will be the people that either don't have access to or cant afford high speed internet that will make sure that the desktop keeps its place in the main market.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:07 PM

cloud... what is cloud? Oh, server hosted applications. A technology that has existed since computers came into use, each incarnation of "cloud" computing named and resulting from different necessities for it.

In the end, it's not the end all be all.

Case in point, the USA's consumer grade internet infrastructure couldn't even handle the 'dream' cloud computing scenarios that they ramble on about. Give me bandwidth, then come back and tell me about 'remote/cloud/thin/hosted/user' obsoleting the personal computer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:32 PM

View Postmapmd1234, on 13 December 2011 - 12:53 PM, said:

nice wolf, I do have to second that comment, granted, I love nekos and things of the likes, but it is still a very cute pic...

I didn't post any pictures..?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• ninja DIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:39 PM

he is rambling about your profile pic as it were
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:49 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 13 December 2011 - 11:41 AM, said:

I remember back in the 90's (that's the 1990's for you kids) when 'thin-net clients' were going to take over the business sector. No more full-fledged computers. No more software installed on the desktop. Everything would be on the server. If the company had 200 licenses for word then it didn't matter where someone logged in. Is any of this sounding familiar?

I was so glad when that didn't actually happen. I knew at the time it was a mistake and I still think it is a mistake when they talk about all these cloud based services.

I want processing power on my desk where I can control it, not floating around at someone else's facility.

It did have me a bit scared at the time though.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:04 PM

View PostGorian, on 13 December 2011 - 03:39 PM, said:

he is rambling about your profile pic as it were

I've been meaning to find a new theme and character but I would have to go digging around to find the .PSD as I'm too lazy to just make a new template. I've had this one for over a year or so. I still like it but I like to change it now and then.

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 13 December 2011 - 11:04 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:10 PM

The cloud is a net 2.0 term for "dumb terminal".

I hope traditional PCs & laptops live a long time, I kind of make my money fixing them. *gulp*
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:32 AM

Well, other than temrinology changes, I don't see the old computer systems going away unless they introduce Micro quantum computers. That's a bit of a game changer. :online2long:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:29 AM

The problem with those is they don't solve any conventional problems every average computer user has.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:10 PM

What do you mean? I was under the impression a quantum computer would be far more powerful than a binary based system.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:24 PM

define 'powerful'?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +