5 Replies - 7803 Views - Last Post: 10 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

systems engineering vs software engineering

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:16 PM

Hi, my name is George I am 23 and currently planning on going back to school after a years break do to personal stuff, I am glad that I have found this website and really do hope you can help me out. The situation is basically this I live in Dominican Republic and the degree programs that are offered here for computers is very slim but have managed to find two that have met my eye and these are system engineering and software engineering, however I do not know which to pick. All that is clear to me is what I am passionate about. Since a kid I have loved how networks work, as well as programming. Self teaching myself was something I did a lot and have gotten good at. I want to be able to protect companies and create firewalls and systems that seem inpenetrable. Sort of like the people on tv, but I want to work for the good side the white-hat side. Hopefully creating things for companies that allow them not to worry about there networks being infultrated. My ultimate goal is network administration, but where I live they only offer this as a masters degree so I have to find what bachelers degree I need to get first.

From what I understand system engineering is geared more towards hardware and while I do not have a problem with learning hardware,creating chips is not really something I enjoy as much as say learning about network infrastructure,programming languages, software developement, data analisis and those type of things. Please I really want help from experts who work in each field.

Ps: Sorry If I posted this in the wrong section, didn't really know where to put it.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: systems engineering vs software engineering

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: systems engineering vs software engineering

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:45 PM

Chip design is Electrical Engineering. Systems Engineering is what your looking for. If I'm not mistaken Systems Engineering is IT infrastructure: overseeing servers, networks, etc. I guess it's the physical and administrative work. If you want to be a Developer or Manager, go with the Software Engineering degree.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:20 AM

They dont differ much, i did 2 year at Nottingham trent uni doing computer systems engineering and i transfered to University of ulster in Northern Ireland and completed my final year in Software engineering.

The choice you have will have little to no effect to the jobs you get. When applying for a job here in the UK the requirements specify a wide range of courses and always include computer science (gerneral computing).

I thought by having a software engineering degre it would have been an advantage other others cause my degree was aimed specifically at the jobs i applied for. It doesnt make a difference, do you want to know the reason why?

When you leave university you may think you know something about these areas you studied for 3-4 years but really you wont. What they really should teach you in uni is, industry standard.

So to choose you course all you have to do is close your eyes and pick one! most of the classes from these 2 courses will be together with the exception of may 1-2 modules.

Good luck.

This post has been edited by deery5000: 17 December 2011 - 05:22 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:08 PM

So to choose you course all you have to do is close your eyes and pick one! most of the classes from these 2 courses will be together with the exception of may 1-2 modules.

Your choice of program is very important. It's true that learning in the field will be very different from learning at school, but it's expected that your schooling gave you a solid basis in your particular area.

As a developer, when you start developing production applications, things like version control, frameworks, CASE tools, design patterns, re-usability, and sound engineering principles become very important. Those are the areas you don't get experience with in school. It's expected that you can take care of choosing the most efficient data structure to organize your data, or that you can write SQL queries that satisfy your application's business requirements.

As a CS student you'll learn that stuff. As a Software Engineering student, you probably would, but not necessarily. I think SE programs tend to focus on high-level system design and project management with enough programming to develop aptitude. As a Systems Engineering student (where IT infastructure is the focus), you'll probably never take an in-depth networking (with an emphasis on programming), algorithms, or systems programming course, and you won't have strong enough programming skills to finish the task.

If I strived to one day be in charge of System and Network Administration at my workplace, I'd rather spend my education configuring routers, servers, troubleshooting operating systems, and not so much programming and taking calculus.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:33 PM

Id suggest you go for a computer science degree with an emphasis in networking. This seems to be a better fit for the kind of interest you have expressed. Something that might help you make up your mind is going through testimonials from students who currently study or have passed out of college after doing a computer science degree. Ive just been reading Stevens-Henager college testimonials you might find the site worth visiting. Look at other college options as well. My other advice would be to make sure you enroll in a college that has recognized accreditation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

Software engineering is a great field to go into right now. There are quite a few jobs available, and if you have a master's degree, you are pretty much guaranteed to have a good salary. There are also quite a few affordable distance learning programs available, so you shouldn't feel like you are confined to the DR. Check out my website to go through your options and find the right software engineering program for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1