4 Replies - 847 Views - Last Post: 19 December 2011 - 07:46 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

what gaps should I fill in?

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:53 AM

I have an a.a.s degree in electronics and a bachelors in philosophy. I work as an electronics technician and my company pays for school, I started to get my bs in engineering but once I took my first programming class, I really enjoyed it and decided to change my major. I started taking cs classes and my professor suggested that I look into getting the prerequisites and start my masters. I finished math up to linear algebra and have had 3 undergraduate cs classes, 1 c class and 2 c++ classes. I now go to Capitol College which has online masters in cs degree. I am well aware that I won't be as prepared as the other students who have a bs in cs. what things should I try to cover outside of class, to get up to speed and make it so I'm able to be successful not only in school but in a career once I transition?
thanks in advance.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: what gaps should I fill in?

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Re: what gaps should I fill in?

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:41 AM

Do they not have pre-requisite courses that you need before you start your graduate degree?

Most schools will send you to specific undergrad courses first before placing you into the Graduate level courses.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:46 PM

View PostAlbuquerqueApache, on 15 December 2011 - 11:41 AM, said:

Do they not have pre-requisite courses that you need before you start your graduate degree?

Most schools will send you to specific undergrad courses first before placing you into the Graduate level courses.

Yeah, I have fulfilled the prerequisites. but they only require computer science 1 and 2. for math it is calc 1, 2 and linear algebra. I have all of that. but I'm assuming there are still gaps. maybe not, comp sci 1 and 2 were good but I still feel like I have more to learn and I want to do well in my masters program. thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:00 PM

I think your good to go. Calc 1 & 2 is usually good enough unless they want a finite class or discrete math.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:46 PM

I think your ready if you meet the prerequisites you just might want to have good knowledge of the concentration your going into for your masters as sometimes they may interview you and you must demonstrate knowledge of that topic.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1