-What do you prefer?-

• (2 Pages)
  • +

25 Replies - 3739 Views - Last Post: 22 May 2001 - 07:25 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Just wondering, Gaming

Posted 14 May 2001 - 03:21 PM

[color=red]Gaming these days has changed from what it used to be. I can remember sitting in fron of an atari playing a game that was coded with ancient technology and using kindergarden drawings ;) but it was a classic. Also, gaming has taken a major twist within the last 12 years. The number of genres and playing styles is growing each year. Every day i hear of a new game, and how its the best. But we all know that there are games we do and dont like. This draws me to my question, what type of games do you like the best?
RTS-real time stratagey (C&C!!!, Warcraft, starcraft etc.)
3D-RTS(Homeworld, Earth2150, the new Emporer battle for dune woha!)
RPG-Role playing game(Baldurs gate, Diablo etc)
Adventure(umm,... dont like these much help me out)
Action-adventure(umm again, tomb radier? not sure)
puzzle<---- ewww ;)(Myst, Rivin, Shivers... etc)
FPS- first person shooters(UNREAL and HALFLIFE[ooo yea] etc..)
MMRPG-Massivly multiplayer role playing game(ultima online, everquest etc.)
MMFPS- massively multiplayer first person shooters(planetside, unreal tournament(kinda) etc)
God games- Populous, black & white(sweet game), and others i guess....)
simulations- (Sim city, the sims etc)
space sims- Freelancer, freespace etc
vehicle sims- tank games, MECHWARRIORS!(#### YEA) etc
and others...

The types of games i listed are not all of them on the market, like blizzards new warcraft 3 is known as a rts/rpg
which will be worth the wait, but every year or six months another one is developed but drop me a line on some of the types of games, genres and some titles which you like best. Also, i forgot to add sports games which i dislike alot, but those are out there as well. Some of the game titles i listed were my favorites and always will be. There are a number of sweet games coming out within the next year like Dawn a mmrpg, planetside a mmrts, C&C renegade-fps, emporer battle for dune 3d rts, freelancer- space sim, and sooo many more, but drop me a line thanks ;)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Just wondering, Gaming

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Just wondering, Gaming

Posted 14 May 2001 - 03:32 PM

dude, how can you just leave out all the console games. i know you against consoles but i mean come on. perfect dark, goldeneye, metal gear solid 2, all the zeldas, marios, etc. these are all great games. now i am willing to admit that strategy games on the computer will kick the ass of any strategy game on a console. but that is for one reason only. the mouse. without that wouldnt even matter. now im not saying that pc's are better than consoles or vice versa. but consoles deserve more credit than that. one thing i like about consoles is that you dont have to worry about the constant upgrade. when im playing my PS2, i know that i wont have to out and but the newest graphics card to play metal gear solid 2 and what not. thats not what consoles are about. its great to see what developers can do when they actually have boundries and are playing on even ground. and PC's are great too. i love online play and such. its great and give a game great replayability. what i am saying it that all of theses deserve to be put on equal ground with each other.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2001 - 03:55 PM

:biggrin:
[color=red]
lol, im sorry i didnt mean to leave console games out, the reason it happend was the fact that i hardly ever play a console system. I do belive both sides need credit, but PC games are better no matter the fact. I have soo much to back up the PC side, and not as much for the console gamers. here it is...
PC
-Better graphics
-More game play time
-More fulfilment
-Can support all types of games with better quality then a console platform(eg. there are so many game pads for the pc that would work with games that are hard to use with a mouse.)
-no switching of Cd's or adding cartridges
-better hardware
-more games
-Emulators =))))
-no hassle with other things such as tv, or sound system
-a computer can do so much more over all then a console sysetem

Console
-Cheaper
-More games
-:( Now they are able to get online and include dvd
-ugly, smell bad ;)
umm, well i cant think right now, some one should do the pros and cons of both, but what im saying is pc is just better overall, at least in my eyes.

But, back to topic, i didnt mean to leave console games out... i personally love metal gear solid, goldeneye and the others but, i think they would be better on the pc =)
And, the topic was what type of game you prefer, not what type of system ;) :p

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2001 - 04:39 PM

You are so stupid. Counsoles are better, have you played metal gear solid 2 yeah lets see the computer up with a game like that. and computers have registration, loading disks(which you do have to switch), monitor.  By the way, I go poopie, it was good.:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2001 - 05:45 PM

[color=red] First off, dont call me stupid i have a very low temper, just warning people now. BUT, this is an opinion i really dont care which you like better, thats YOUR choice but im not stupid because i prefer a BETTER gaming system.

Hrm, have you played Halflife? What about unreal? or its sequal unreal 2 which is going to own the gaming indurstry for a very long time. What about black and white? Hrm, what about tribes? Maybe you should try renegade, or planetside, or freelancer, hrm what about homeworld? Id like to see a console game play that one lol, hrm what about Mechwarrior 4? need i go on? Yes, actually i have played metal gear solid and its sequal too. They are kick ass games, and im not saying i HATE consoles, i actually own 2 but after a long time, i looked at PC and packed away my console system.  Yea, i had fun, but now its over. Oh, and yea your console system has good graphics until 2 months after you bought it, then it sucks again. My computer, has good graphics, yea it may be expensive but i get a #### of a lot more out of it then a years playing then paying another 200-500$ on another system.Another thing, consoles are cheaper, but on the downside you only get a little for your money in the long run. I have had my computer since 1996, and right now its better then any console system out there, AND i have more games then anyone out there with a console could possibly have ;) (hyperbole{sp?}) Plus, i can do soo many more things on a computer then a console.

next..

computers were what started the whole electronic console gaming system industry. Next, what are you going to see without a tv? Ummm, nothing smart one ;) Another thing, yea i may have to switch disks, but how many times do i have to do it? Once, one time, uno... ummm everytime you leave a certian area in games on console you have to switch thus making it a hassal. Oh, and name one PC game where you have to switch disks, other then baldurs gate one and ill shut up about that. Another thing, there just happens to be more PC games then console. Oh, and a lot of the console games are coming to pc now, how about that!? Plus the introduction of emulators, and if you havent heard sony is going to make an emulator thus enabling anyone with a pc to run any console game made for that companies system cha-ching....

Now i dont want this to turn into a fight its just a world wide discussion and if anyone else has input please post it.
Oh, and are there any people for PC out there or is this a one man stand for my own opinion ;)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2001 - 05:53 PM

LAN GAMES!! That's all I'm saying!!!! Tribes, Unreal Tournament, HalfLife, Team Fortress, WARCRAFT! STARCRAFT! Quake, DOOM BABY!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2001 - 06:06 PM

Half Life.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2001 - 07:24 PM

[color=red]PRAISE SKYHAWK AND PARADOX! GOD! PRAISE THEM! =) Lan OWNS!
Although i havent played huge amounts over a lan it owns! May god guide you through your lives, praise you! lol, sorry, but lan owns, and as a better thing, all of those games! THEY ALL RULE! And paradox, half life is one of the best #### games on the market, period. :) thank you for your post i have a renewd faith in my gaming community ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!?

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2001 - 09:22 PM

ok, list: PC
MechWarrior 2 & 3 (havn't played 4 yet 'case 2 & 3 are still fun);
Civilization: Call To Power (how dare you heathens forget such a great game (including LAN!));
Total Annihilation (another great RTS that is too easily forgotten);
Quake 3 (ok, i'll admit, i'm behind the curve on FPS, but we still play Duke Nuke'em at my LANs ;)
C&C: Red Alert (same boat as Total Annihilation);

console: NES
Final Fantasy (#### yeah!  never has been *any* RPG better in my opinion);
Zelda (decent game);
Dragon Warrior (great game, difficult to play w/o the #### books!);
& screw emulators.  if i wanna play nintendo, i want a square controler in my hand & a video system that doesn't puke the graphics.  You're supposed to suck in the TV rads, thats why they invented console games (currently, Jet Grind Radio (sue me, i love dying systems (cheaper games!))

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2001 - 10:17 PM

[color=red]
You listed some great (some what old, but still great) games. Quake 3 is a very, VERY cool game and call to power its up there too. I love all of the mechwarrior games including mechcommander.

Final fantasy is one of the only games i could get into on my PS, i love the seires and i own 4 of them right now. But, again you could get that on a PC. As far as the pad, you could buy one for your computer ;) But, again im not trying to fight against what people think im just posting my opinion about the topic. Oh and i actually think dying game systems are better then new ones for 2 reasons. The games are cheap and there are a lot of them. ;)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2001 - 04:34 AM

Ok so as of now I've only said the words "Console" and "Half Life"
Now for some more information:
I own a Nintendo 64, and a computer. I like games like Perfect Dark, Blitz, Zelda, Super Smash Brothers and Mario Party (stupid, but you have to admit they can be fun).  On my computer I have the Sims, Command and Conquer Red Alert (and RA2), Half Life, which I am playing now.  I'm just getting into Half Life again, because the when I first got it, I was already halfway through Perfect Dark.  So I beat Perfect Dark (not an easy task!), and now I'm relearning Half Life.  Just yesterday I downloaded Counterstrike.  Overall I prefer consoles.  Why? Because they were created for the sole purpose of games.  I have a computer for email and surfing and DVDs, and consoles have their place too- in games.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2001 - 02:55 PM

o, crazy son of a bitch plays computer games too. he's just wacky like i said earlier. lets see. i play computer games, and own tons of consoles too. nes, snes, n64, sega genesis, playstation, ps2, all of them. and they are all great. but i like computer games too. i hear that lan games ar kool but ive never had the opputunity to play on one. i like all games, but i do prefer console over pc when it comes to games. like paradox said, consoles are just for games. dont have to worry about the other stuff. no upgrades. all of that. and i want to know what you were smoking when you said that pc had better graphics. no way in ####. not since the 16 bit days ended. that is one place i dont think you can win. i have never seen a game like mgs2 on computer. you show me one that compares and i might just see your point. but not till then. that is all i got to say for now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2001 - 02:58 PM

[color=red]hehehehe, you have a good point. Consoles were made for the sole purpose of gaming..... But wait then why put key board drivers? or, why put a dvd player? or internet access? or word processing? =) I do get your point, the console was made for gaming in its self, but the newst systems are proving to be more then just a gaming platform ( which i think is cool, and may even change the way i think, but until i see a good change PC is better ;) ) and seems to be changing the way we look at a console system.... but i have a C++ program due so ill post later keep em comin ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2001 - 03:00 PM

That, EnKRYpTeD, is where Sony and Microsoft are wrong.  They are creating their systems full of gadgets, and forgetting that they are creating a gaming system
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2001 - 03:09 PM

[color=red]
Well, are THEY really wrong in that? They seem to be making a shit load of $ off these "Improved" gaming systems, its just buisness. Or, is it the consumer that is wrong for falling for these extra gadgets which dont add up to as much as they sound? This is why i like a computer more, you get an equal or better gaming system as well as all of the other things that a console has and more....

People are simply drawn to the amount of something, not quality any more. The more gadgets it has it has to be better! But, sadly, the economy thrives of stupidity. Im not just saying console systems im talkin about everything, even my beloved PC. It's so much cheaper to make your own computer then to go buy one with the same hardware. But, enough of my lil lecture ;) keep em comin!

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +