7 Replies - 2592 Views - Last Post: 20 December 2011 - 12:56 PM

• Coding Dynamo
  • member icon

• View blog

Linux Mint Dev Tools

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:56 AM

So I recently decided to try out linux, and I found this Great distro called 'Mint', it is said that it's like ubuntu just better, so I made a live cd (on a usb) and tried it out. It seemed nice...

So what are the linux development tools? (For C#)

And please express your thoughts on linux mint, or if you know a better distro please tell me.

I'm new to linux (been a windows user for my whole life)

This post has been edited by RexGrammer: 15 December 2011 - 10:56 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Linux Mint Dev Tools

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Linux Mint Dev Tools

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:04 AM

POPULAR

View PostRexGrammer, on 15 December 2011 - 12:56 PM, said:

And please express your thoughts on linux mint, or if you know a better distro please tell me.

Ugh, this again.

Do you know why Mint is different than Ubuntu? Because it comes with different software. That's all that distributions are, different software packages, with the Linux kernel.

No Linux distribution is truly better than the next. It's subjective to the end user, by relevance & convenience.

If you can't say why Mint is better than Ubuntu, then how is anyone else to suggest something better for you?

As for C#, it's a Microsoft technology. Best you can do is Mono, which is not C#, but it's a best effort to port it to Linux.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• Coding Dynamo
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:14 AM

Then I guess this was kind of a 'what is the best programming language?' question? Sorry for that, I didn't know that that was how linux distros work (again I'm totally new to linux). Thanks for the reply, I concluded that I should stick to Windows since I want to use C# (I'm guessing Mono isn't as good as .NET...)

Thanks! :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:49 AM

I don't know of any C# tools available for Linux becaus eI don't code in it adn it's a Microsoft langauge.

BUT as No. 2 pencil said Linux is Linux.

A server version of Linux is one without Gnome, KDE, or Enlightenment and usually has a LAMP stack.

A desktop version has Gnome, KDE, or enlightenement and doesnt come with things like MySQL, Apache, etc. (LAMP)

Mint has a tweaked desktop and thats about th eonly difference I cna think of from Ubuntu. I think the package handlers are even the same.

I know your new to Linux and your probably not familiar with this stuff so I'm trying to be very nice here.

Linux has a few modes for software:

1. compiling from source code.

2. using a package handler to directly grab binaries (compiled software) from source trees (pre-loaded information on where to grab things)

My personal preference is Ubuntu only because the support is VERY good. but thats it really. I could run slackware if I wanted, but your pretty much on your own adn I'm not much of a C coder myself.

So thats kind of the gist of it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2011 - 06:34 AM

As for C#, it's a Microsoft technology. Best you can do is Mono, which is not C#, but it's a best effort to port it to Linux.

Not exactly. C# is the language. Mono uses C#. It's not C#.NET, of course. Mono is an attempt to port the important parts of .NET to other platforms.

@Rex, you seem to think that everything can be objectively stated as better or worse than something else. It doesn't work that way. You can't say Mono is worse than .NET, because they're targeting different goals, just like you can't say one linux distro is better than the other.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding Dynamo
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:10 AM

Let me reformat my answer: It probably doesn't have as much libraries in it as .NET does.

And yeah I tend to watch the world as black-and-white, not noticing the shades of gray in between. (Gonna try to change that! :D)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:42 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 15 December 2011 - 12:04 PM, said:

View PostRexGrammer, on 15 December 2011 - 12:56 PM, said:

Ugh, this again.

Do you know why Mint is different than Ubuntu? Because it comes with different software. That's all that distributions are, different software packages, with the Linux kernel.

Exactly. Richard Stallman would call it "Gnu/Linux" because it was originally all of the existing Gnu software and tools paired with Linus' one piece: the monolithic Linux kernel. Granted the kernel is an important part, but it really is just one piece of a much larger pie. If they'd been able to get Gnu Hurd working I guarantee you that Linux would never have been heard from. Unfortunately the micro-kernel, with all of its advantages over the Linux monolithic kernel, is apparently just too difficult to debug, which is one of the things that slowed its progress and opened the door to the Linux kernel.

While it is great that people who don't know jack about OSes or Linux can use it, it is annoying to see them argue (see the Linux vs Mint thread) about differences between distros that are superficial. Anyone who's ever compiled Gentoo knows that you can add whatever tools you want and make your own "distro", so who cares about which ones comes out of the box with "better" tools?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:56 PM

View PostRexGrammer, on 15 December 2011 - 11:14 AM, said:

Then I guess this was kind of a 'what is the best programming language?' question? Sorry for that, I didn't know that that was how linux distros work (again I'm totally new to linux). Thanks for the reply, I concluded that I should stick to Windows since I want to use C# (I'm guessing Mono isn't as good as .NET...)

Thanks! :D

Most of the software on *nixes seems to be written in pure C. That doesn't necessarily mean you should be coding your project in C. Find the one that suits your needs best. I definitely think it's better to code in C than C++ unless you absolutely need the features of C++.

A lot of software is also written in Python. Linux folks love Python, for some reason. I can get behind significant whitespace, myself. If I could get a D compiler that allowed that style, I'd be in heaven. Braces make me cry at night.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1