10 Replies - 775 Views - Last Post: 19 December 2011 - 08:00 AM

• D.I.C Addict

Work Experience on a Resume

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:05 PM

I am looking to put my resume out some sites like Dice and such since I have been working in IT for a couple years now and the contract is coming up in a couple months. I will probably be rehired by whoever picks it up but it doesn't hurt to see what else is available. Here is my issue. I have had only one IT job and my other experience is all automotive related. A couple of the jobs are management positions. I don't plan on looking for a management posistion at this point in IT. Should I include those jobs within the last five years on my resume or just limit it to my IT skills? Also, should I include some of my more complex personal projects and apps on the Android marketplace. When I apply for specific job I always customize my resume and if they just want "relevant" work experience I only include the IT stuff. Just wondering about a general resume that is posted for employers to review in mass? Should I pack it full of everything or trim it down to just relevant IT stuff?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Work Experience on a Resume

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Work Experience on a Resume

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:10 PM

When in doubt put your complete history. Hell there are somethings on my "ten year" resume that are 'phone jocky' in bound telemarketing gigs...

Unless you have a portfolio (online) for your personal apps I would probably stick to pointing to your android apps.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:08 PM

I'd list your previous non-IT work IF it shows a good stable work history. The entry for your IT stuff should be much more detailed and involved and the non-IT stuff less highlighted. Thing is, employers today want to see a solid work history as much as they want to see skills. By all means you should list and provide links to your Android work and if your personal projects contain interesting or different application of code then discuss those.

Personal projects shows a potential employer that you explore and are innovative. If the projects were a success that also speaks well. What most employers will see in a personal project is that you identified a need, spec'd it out and then coded/debugged/deployed/maintained it. That's what is known as "full life cycle development".
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:10 PM

Putting your entire work history on your resume, regardless of relevance, looks like you don't care enough to target your resume for that position. When I get resumes for programmers that feature sales and other non-programming jobs they rarely make it past the initial screening. I say "rarely" because there are cases such as fresh college grads that have no professional job history or job searching experience so they can sometimes get cut a little slack. That doesn't mean they'll get hired, but they may get an interview.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:02 PM

Yeah, but this is on a general site like 'dice.com'... it sounds like the OP's been trimming it per job, but on a general board? Might as well put everything.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:17 PM

Maybe I'm a bit out of touch. I haven't used job boards in years, but I would think that if you're looking for an IT job that you'd only include IT experience on your resume, regardless of what job board you are using. If I'm parsing IT resumes on dice.com and someone has automotive jobs listed I'll likely move to the next resume.

Edit: nothing against people with automotive experience, but what I'm driving at is that it's irrelevant to an IT job (unless you're applying the an auto parts store's IT dept or something).

This post has been edited by Programmist: 17 December 2011 - 06:18 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:16 AM

Thanks for the tips. I think Dice allows me to put multiple resumes for searching so i will have to look into it and see. I can see the pro's and con's for both. I did get my current job with only automotive experience, my college experience and telling my boss all about my personal projects. Thanks for the help guys.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:47 AM

Recently, there's been a lot of press given to folks who find that employers, even when they are hiring, are shunning the long term unemployed (folks who have been without a job for some time). Leaving any gaps in your work history isn't ever a good idea in the first place and right now it may be an especially bad idea.

Just sayin'. It pays to be aware of the environment.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:51 AM

@Craig328 - I know a guy that I am hoping this is so true for...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:53 AM

You know a guy who you hope WON'T get a job?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:00 AM

Pretty much, yes.

Outside of my personal qualms with him, he is not a very nice human being.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1