5 Replies - 374 Views - Last Post: 17 December 2011 - 08:44 AM

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Christopher Hitchens Has Died.

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:09 AM

POPULAR

Vanity Faire Has posted an article in memorial of Christopher Hitchens, who died earlier today at the age of 62. I know some people here will have neither kind words for nor fond memories of the man or his work, but he had a profound impact on my life and (I suspect) the lives of some people here. If you're unfamiliar with him, here is the wiki link, here are examples of the kind of articulate and biting wit he was known for, and here is the collection of his work available on amazon.

The world has lost one of its' great minds today. To wish that he rest in peace would almost dishonor the memory of what he fought for most ardently in the last years of his life- and so we can only know that he lived well and fully, and remember him for it.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 5
  • +

Replies To: Christopher Hitchens Has Died.

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Christopher Hitchens Has Died.

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:03 AM

One of the best writers I've ever read, and a great thinker as well. I disagreed with him about as often as I agreed with him, but I always loved reading what he had to say, and letting him have a crack at changing my mind.

A world with less Christopher Hitchens is a poorer and less argumentative world.

I hope he was able to have a last cigarette and a whiskey before he went - I know that his cancer took away those pleasures from him in the last few years, but I like to think he was able to spit in cancer's eye one last time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:26 AM

I figured he would make it, he seemed strong enough. Sometimes you don't make it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:35 AM

I actually had just ended my day yesterday listening to several different speeches from him... and he would have said that was just a coincidence. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:23 PM

One of the things I admired about him was that he stuck to his guns to the very end.

In April 2011, Hitchens was forced to cancel a scheduled appearance at the American Atheist Convention, and instead sent a letter that stated, "Nothing would have kept me from joining you except the loss of my voice (at least my speaking voice) which in turn is due to a long argument I am currently having with the specter of death." He closed with "And don't keep the faith." The letter also dismissed the notion of a possible deathbed conversion, in which he claimed that "redemption and supernatural deliverance appears even more hollow and artificial to me than it did before."

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:44 AM

I really really admire Hitchens. He was so eloquent and intelligent. It breaks my heart that he is gone.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1