3 Replies - 1101 Views - Last Post: 27 December 2011 - 07:00 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

HDD Overheating

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:02 AM

Recently, my older laptop completely crapped out on me. My father being the business person he is, happened to have a spare laptop just sitting around I could have. This thing is amazing.

It is the HP G71-447US model, with dual core Pentium(2008) 64-bit CPU with 3GB of RAM and all that sort of bells and whistles, extremely good performance and all that...

However, one big problem. I've never seen the temperature of the HDD dip below 52C while operating, and it commonly goes up to as high as 70C. This is very bad, I know, but there seems to be absolutely nothing I can do about it. 28 Sectors are already marked as reallocated according to the SMART data, from heat damage I'm sure. There is no fan onto the drive, and it seems to be encased completely. It's not a sensor error either, I can't touch the drive while it's operating it's so hot. So... I'm wondering if any of you have any advice as to keep it cooler?

Note: CPU temp is almost always ten to twenty degrees cooler than the HDD. The only time they are the same is when I left the computer outside, it was like below freezing, and took it out of suspend and checked the temps really quickly. They were the same for a second, but the HDD quickly rose back up above the others.

EDIT: Btw, the hard drive is a Toshiba MK2556GSY, SATA 250GB 7200RPM

This post has been edited by novacrazy: 17 December 2011 - 03:05 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: HDD Overheating

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: HDD Overheating

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:01 AM

• Go into the bios and turn the idle cooling fan up to max all the time.
  • Get one of those $20 laptop cooler decks with the cooling fans.
  • Confirm you don't have some software beating the heck out of it, like overly agressive anti-virus that is constantly reading all the files all the time.
  • Turn off all fancy stuff like search indexing.
  • Set the HDD sleep time to something lower so it goes idle more often.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:38 AM

I don't think I have that sort of option in the BIOS, besides, there is no way for the fan to even touch the HDD, there are no obvious air pathways. The HDD is isolated from everything in a little plastic area. And I'm using a freshly installed system, so nothing is accessing the disk (Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit and Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit), both fresh installs. I'm wondering if the drive is just slightly defective or something and if I should get a new one..? Hmmm... Eh, I have everything backed up anyways, I'll just do what I can and go on with life.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:00 PM

I have the same model HDD (Toshiba MK2556GSY) and, as far as i can tell, it does not have a temperature sensor. HDDTemp returns with a warning about no sensor and the first result on google for model + temp sensor also says no sensor. Whatever program your using to check the temperature is just returning 52 C as a warning.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1