19 Replies - 5104 Views - Last Post: 22 December 2011 - 09:46 AM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Visual Studio Algebra Components

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:12 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 21 December 2011 - 03:50 PM, said:

There's a St. Louis, Macau? Odd.

Ha, thanks for catching that, fixed it...

View Postmodi123_1, on 21 December 2011 - 03:50 PM, said:

Could you help ease a poor old man's mind and throw me a bone as to where you might start or how you would go about creating such a thing?

What part? The whole damn thing, or just exponents? I would start with custom user controls. A few placed text boxes... some custom code to handle the exponent.. and then branch out from there.

I guess the part that I'm really having trouble wrapping my brain around is, how would you click on say a picture of a radical, then have it place that radical inside of a larger text box, as part of the answer, and the radical have 2 different text boxes, one for the nTH of the root and one for the root... I'm not sure if you have Microsoft Math or not, but exactly how they do it... I know that Microsoft Math is a desktop app, but it gives an idea for what I'm trying to accomplish...

This post has been edited by webwired: 21 December 2011 - 03:15 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#17 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:16 PM

I guess the part that I'm really having trouble wrapping my brain around is, how would you click on say a picture of a radical,

Sounds like a generic button click to me.

then have it place that radical inside of a larger text box, as part of the answer, and the radical have 2 different text boxes, one for the nTH of the root and one for the root...

Clearly this isn't a normal text box, right? I mean they have customized it so it's off the normal reservation. You would have to do the same... that or deal with some rich textbox that allows for super/sub script and a pretty fly interpreter to solve the equation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

Well, I certainly don't like to give up on something, especially when I want to create it so badly, but it would seem that what I want and the languages that I am familiar with and the ones that I am learning, do not provide adequate means by which to accomplish my goals... So with that I'll close this thread.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#19 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:55 PM

Not adequate? I would hardly say that. I would say you need to push a bit harder and examine things like.. the rich textbox.. or using html browser control so you have access to the normal super/sub fonts.. and writing that back end textbox to take funky input. Sure it's not going to be as easy as pointing at the toolbox and clicking, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities. I would take it as a personal challenge to expand what you are doing off the beaten path... buuuuuuuut that's me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:46 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 21 December 2011 - 07:55 PM, said:

Not adequate? I would hardly say that. I would say you need to push a bit harder and examine things like.. the rich textbox.. or using html browser control so you have access to the normal super/sub fonts.. and writing that back end textbox to take funky input. Sure it's not going to be as easy as pointing at the toolbox and clicking, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities. I would take it as a personal challenge to expand what you are doing off the beaten path... buuuuuuuut that's me.

Thanks, as much as I do really really want to create this project, I think I'll just side-burner it for now, not take it all the way off the table... Thanks for all of your posts and answers, much appreciated...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +