6 Replies - 540 Views - Last Post: 24 December 2011 - 06:39 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Advice on asp.net

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:36 PM

How much C# is needed to know to be able to build a site in asp.net? such as an e-commerce site or a forum, blog etc? I have some php and mysql knowledge. but want to learn asp.net because there is more jobs wanting that skill where I live.

I have a few days off before Christmas and was thinking off doing a lynda video tut on asp.net called ASP.NET Essential Training and then maybe reading a pro asp.net book.

is this the right way to go about it? how did you learn asp.net/C#

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Advice on asp.net

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Advice on asp.net

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:03 AM

Should be pretty straight forward for you if you have some existing knowledge of web technologies, it's not hard to build a basic website in ASP I think you could get one up within a week of starting. Naturally would take a lot longer to master ASP!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:39 PM

I have started some C# and straight away thought this is easy! although I never done OOP with php so I want to learn that in C# but im getting bored of doing silly console examples in C# and I have tried a few books but they read like dictionary's so they get dull so I am now bored.

That's why im thinking shall I just learn asp.net so I can do web projects and learn that way. (Im a web Designer and Frontend Dev so Console apps don't excite me)

how did you learn asp.net?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:44 AM

I read through half of, Visual Web: Programming in C# and worked along with the exercises. Then got bored so I started on my own project and used google to find out how to do anything I needed as I went.

You're always still going to be learning, but the basics of ASP are not hard to grasp.

I'd recommned this book for OO concepts, very useful!
http://www.amazon.co...p/dp/0132350882
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:36 AM

I'm a big fan of tutorials because they can be found for free all over the internet, and explain the actual use of the code in a "real" situation.
If you're bored with console stuff find some tutorials that help you build a small site (or a big one - whatever floats your boat).

ASP.NET Tutorials:
http://www.asp.net/web-forms/tutorials

If you feel like jumping into MVC this is good: (One I'm busy working through)
ASP.NET MVC Tutorial:
http://www.asp.net/m...h-mvc3-part1-cs
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:44 AM

@negligible
That books looks great. I'll will give that read the reviews also look good!

@footsie
Thanks for the links I didn't realise asp.net had such good resources on the website. I cant find the c# documentation though. do you have any links for that?

I do learn better by actually building something and seeing how abit of code works to achieve a certain tasks. So im just going to dig in to asp.net and try build some stuff like a simple contact manager and learn like that :)

you will probably see me here a lot now saying i am stuck lol ;-)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:39 AM

All the documentation for C# (and ASP.NET for that matter)that you could need should be on msdn just explore there a bit. http://msdn.microsof...v=VS.71%29.aspx
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1