Death of a game addict.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

17 Replies - 2653 Views - Last Post: 15 April 2002 - 06:01 PM

• Dream.In.Force

• View blog

EverQuest Killed My Son

Posted 01 April 2002 - 08:02 AM

Elizabeth Woolley is campaigning for warning labels on games such as EverQuest in regards of the possible addiction/health risks. Ms. Woolley's son, Shawn, committed suicide after a 12 hour stint of EverQuest. She is currently tied up in a legal battel with Sony to release the details of his EverQuest account in hopes that it will shed lite on her son's death.

Shawn was so addicted to the game that he quit his job and turned his back on his family. At one point he had a nervous break down after his companion in the game stole all his money.

I thought this may be an interesting read for some of you who had mentioned playing the game in a past thread.

Full article:

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: EverQuest Killed My Son

• andydust.com

• View blog

Re: EverQuest Killed My Son

Posted 01 April 2002 - 08:37 AM

crazy ppl, its clear this guy had problems...and the mother chooses now to act? when its 2 late. if i was her i would have taken some serious measures, confiscated his pc and got him some professional help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I liek milk!!1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2002 - 09:56 AM

no doubt, that's crazy... I dont think blaming the game is going to help... it is his mothers fault in particular I think... For not paying attention to the obvious...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• nooneenooneenooonee
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2002 - 10:02 AM

I would tend to think that this guy had problems before he started playing Everquest. If over 15 million people play online games and this is the only guy so far that has killed himself over it, I think that his mom might be going a little over the top.

Cheers Sam

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dream.In.Force

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2002 - 10:12 AM

So what would you say to the fact that many EverQuest players refer to it as 'EverCrack', Denoting their precived addiction to the game or the qualities of the game which are addictive?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!?

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2002 - 10:19 AM

the first step to accept that you have an addiction...
second is have someone tear the net connection from the wall & tie you down while you go through withdrawl...

(Edited by objekt404 at 12:22 pm on April 1, 2002)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dream.In.Force

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2002 - 10:36 AM

Just wanted to link up with Neo's earlier post over in the caffeine lounge for another aspect to add in the discussion.

Now this is just sad. . . (With an article Virtual kingdom richer than Bulgaria, stating that the EverQuest community is richer per capita than some real countries! :eek:

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dream.In.Force

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2002 - 06:36 AM

Found another article about this story on Wired. It takes a more indepth look at what role the game may have taken in Shawn's death. Good reading.

Full article:

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dream.In.Force

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2002 - 09:41 AM

Found another great read on EverQuest. It raises how it and some of it's counter parts (i.e. Diablo II & Dark Age of Camelot) have been labled 'heroinware'. One also points out it might not be all bad.... Check the full article.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• nooneenooneenooonee
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2002 - 10:13 AM

This is a sad story. However "He'd quit his job and played almost non-stop... He was diagnosed with depression and a schizoid personality disorder and put on medication." this guy doesn't sould like your average gamer. Sounds like he had problems well beyond Everquest.

Cheers Sam

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2002 - 10:36 AM

i just have a few comments about what's going on here:

first, who said this was the only guy to ever kill himself over a game, an rpg game no less, just because this one was on the computer doesn't make it any different from the ones that are played away from a computer, my brother's best friend killed himself one night when they were playing dungeons and dragons, he got to involved with his character and when his character was killed so was he, in a literal sense.

2) have you guys never gotten a new rpg for nintendo, playstation, pc that you didn't eat or sleep until you had beat it?  that stuff happens all the time, i used to spend days at my friends house and we'd play zelda, no one could rip us away from the tv to save our lives

rpgs are more than just an action game that's the same everytime you play it, they are addicting, each time you play something can change, it's possible that everytime you play the game it's different...and it's an easy thing to crave, when you're at school, when you're sleeping, when you're with friends, you sit there and think i want to go play such and such game, this is a true reality for many people...and it's very easy for parents not to see what's going on, with pc's and entertainment systems in bedrooms anything can be going on, my parents when i go to my room, they don't check on me...

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dream.In.Force

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2002 - 10:59 AM

Quote: from fyrestorm on 1:36 pm on April 15, 2002
rpgs are more than just an action game that's the same everytime you play it, they are addicting, each time you play something can change, it's possible that everytime you play the game it's different...and it's an easy thing to crave, when you're at school, when you're sleeping, when you're with friends, you sit there and think i want to go play such and such game, this is a true reality for many people...and it's very easy for parents not to see what's going on, with pc's and entertainment systems in bedrooms anything can be going on, my parents when i go to my room, they don't check on me...
Two words: Media Hype

Quote: from fyrestorm on 1:36 pm on April 15, 2002
first, who said this was the only guy to ever kill himself over a game, an rpg game no less
Who said that?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2002 - 11:48 AM

right here man:

Quote: from smckone on 12:02 pm on April 1, 2002
I would tend to think that this guy had problems before he started playing Everquest. If over 15 million people play online games and this is the only guy so far that has killed himself over it, I think that his mom might be going a little over the top.

Cheers Sam

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2002 - 12:00 PM

Well, first of all, that guy musta been a real loser.  Secondly, people who think people do bad stuff cause of a game are retards.  So, if screwed up people are gonna play a game then kill them self now?  I say let them.  "Get your whole head in front of the shotgun, thank you for calling" -denis leary.  

Shit, leave it to the whining pussies to ruin good things for everyone...

Matt Kasper

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dream.In.Force

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2002 - 12:06 PM

Well I'd say that was more of an opinion than fact. Look at the media coverage over the past 30 years. Highlights of such things strike a cord with in the media. Wether it be a Black Sabeth ablum, GTA 3, Doom, EverQuest.... The list could go on. Human tragedy tied to entertainment as a scap goat for more personal issues, such as morals and family values. Media Hype, though I myself find a lot of it interesting to discuss, a lot of it is psych'o'babel.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +