2 Replies - 1800 Views - Last Post: 24 December 2011 - 06:56 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Final year project in 3d Game Programming?

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:15 PM

I am figuring out game development and deciding whether i should develop a game as a final project of grduation. Although i learnt c++, C#, Java etc. but I didn't covered any specific course/subject in my academics for game development.

I love Games but I am completely a newbie in Game development. Should I proceed for Game development in final project? I am finding information about game engines, frame rates, sprites, particles, etc. But unable to find the information that satisfy me. Please guide me, from where should I begin? Which IDE/libraries should i use(Unity3d,XNA,Ogre3D etc)? should i design a game engine or use existing? if yes, how? if no, why?

I alone want to make a game, means don't have graphics designer, physics programmer, audio composer... can i do their tasks to some extent? Please also tell me, how to make models, terrain in 3d games... using underlying library or 3rd party tool like 3dsMax? if I use 3DsMax then how to use its objects in my programming?

Advanced thanks for all repliers for my time consuming question. Basically i am searching their answers for a long time.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Final year project in 3d Game Programming?

#2 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Final year project in 3d Game Programming?

Posted 24 December 2011 - 03:34 PM

If you have to ask total stranger whether or not you have the skills to do something... Then you don't.

How is anyone half a world away supposed to know if you have the graphic arts skills to make a game?

Please also tell me, how to make models, terrain in 3d games...

I laughed my ass of on this one. This is a topic for its own school course. There are numerous books of 500+ pages each on the subject. Nobody here is going to teach it to you in a couple paragraphs on a forum thread. There are people who ONLY do this for a living. They are game animators. And they took years to get good enough to earn a living at just this one aspect of game creation.

Should I proceed for Game development in final project?

How should we know if you should make a game as your final project? My advice is 'No, you should drop this line of education and take up baking where you don't have to decide anything for yourself, but instead can just follow the cook book.'
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Final year project in 3d Game Programming?

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:56 PM

I didn't get into programming games until after graduating computer science. After graduation it took me something like two years from a standing start to diving straight into coding a 3D game to completion.

Given that you have no experience I wouldn't even think about a game as a final year project. A very bad idea.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1