2 Replies - 1255 Views - Last Post: 01 January 2012 - 12:49 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

SSD and HDD Set Up

Posted 25 December 2011 - 04:59 PM

Just got a new SSD and a new HDD. I am trying to set it up so I put the OS and all other important applications on that and have the OS save all documents, music, pictures, media, whatever on the 1TB HDD that I got also. I have heard that this is not too hard but have also heard that you need to be careful when copying your libraries over to the HDD because they will still update on the SSD. Anyone got any advice?

Thanks in advance. Merry Christmas!

- Stew

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: SSD and HDD Set Up

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: SSD and HDD Set Up

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:32 PM

> have the OS save all documents, music, pictures, media, whatever on the 1TB HDD that I got also

Which OS is this? Windows? You can configure the user directory on Windows to a custom location. It's a bit of work, but it is doable. Best done immediately after OS install, or even configure the installation files beforehand if you can.

> I have heard that this is not too hard but have also heard that you need to be careful when copying your libraries over to the HDD because they will still update on the SSD.

Simply copying over the files isn't going to do anything. The OS needs to start using a different location for user files, and that requires you to change configuration.

Here's the question. Do you actually need the user files on your HDD? A lot of the user files are going to be read by applications, and that benefits from the speedup on the SSD. Or do you just need to avoid cluttering up the SSD? Because it might just be easier to manually ensure that files are archived on the HDD. Or use backup software to move them over from SSD to HDD periodically, or something.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: SSD and HDD Set Up

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:49 PM

The operating system is Windows. I have run into a couple problems trying to do this. I know the other files will be used by these applications but I only want the applications to be on the SSD and have any other files saved onto the HDD such as music, movies, word documents. All of that stuff. I only want the SSD to have my important applications or games such as Skyrim, Photoshop, or any other games or applications.

You mentioned something about changing the directory right at the beginning. Any chance you have a tutorial that can walk me through this I would literally pay someone to help me set this up. Any help would be appreciated.

I know intel has its smart response technology but that only work for SSD's size 20-64gb. Mine is 120gb.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1