13 Replies - 423 Views - Last Post: 28 December 2011 - 06:48 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Disappearing car doors

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:48 AM

What will they think of next!!!
This is great for anyone who has difficulty getting in and out of a car.
Someone had a bright idea in England . Wonder how long it will take to get this on the market in Japan and the U.S. ?

http://www.flixxy.co...ch-car-door.htm

This post has been edited by Whizzy: 26 December 2011 - 09:52 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Disappearing car doors

• Coding Dynamo
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Disappearing car doors

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:53 AM

Well they're not really disappearing, if you look closely they just sheath under the car. This is really visible around 2:30.

Also googled if this is a hoax, I don't think so, it's just not what they say it is. It's also a lot expensive and adds a lot of weight to the car.

I would look at this link Technical details (DISCLAIMER: I saw some people say that the site has a virus, but I have not experienced that, if you get a virus IT'S NOT MY FAULT! :D)

http://www.disappearing-car-door.com/(DISCLAIMER: I saw some people say that the site has a virus, but I have not experienced that, if you get a virus IT'S NOT MY FAULT! :D)

This post has been edited by RexGrammer: 26 December 2011 - 11:53 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:58 AM

I would like to see a crash test, to see how they perform. What happens when motors get (inevitably) stuck?

Plus where the fork are the police going to hide behind, in gun fight?

This post has been edited by AdamSpeight2008: 26 December 2011 - 12:00 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:00 PM

Decent new car cost - $9,000, price to add magical doors - $20,000 :-)

I don't see how they can "retro" fit the doors, there are too many things UNDER the car to contend with. At this point, seems like a gimmick.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding Dynamo
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:06 PM

View PostAdamSpeight2008, on 26 December 2011 - 06:58 PM, said:

I would like to see a crash test, to see how they perform. What happens when motors get (inevitably) stuck?

Plus where the fork are the police going to hide behind, in gun fight?

I guess that they 'disappear' in a crash. I bet it isn't a very nice sight! :D

Oh and why would the police ever install them in the first place? :tt2:

And I guess by the look of the site that they haven't sold many doors :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:28 PM

All true, and and all good points. If you want to go that route, they should concentrate on mileage, and electric cars that have an extra pulley attached to an alternator/generator so you don't have to plug it in.... we can go different ways all day long. Just thought it was kinda neat.

Police in a gun fight... ROFL...

This post has been edited by Whizzy: 26 December 2011 - 12:28 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:31 PM

I'm thinking in a crash it'll distort the guides, thus preventing it from unrolling. A last with traditional you can generally force them open from either side.

This post has been edited by AdamSpeight2008: 26 December 2011 - 12:31 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:27 PM

So like van doors, only rotating around to the bottom.

Neat idea that comes with cool safety additions.

Would need development of extra safety releases in case of accident to make removal of the door easier.

Expensive (both cost and efficiency)... purely luxury. But most new designs are purely luxury at first... ABS, electric windows, windshield wipers, safety belt, etc were all "luxury" and "expensive" when first released.

I see no harm in looking into newer ways to solve the problem of the entry port to a vehicle that could improve on the design. Where's the harm in that? Is this design perfect... no not at all, but it's pretty dang neat to add to the pile of ideas that can be refined. It's not like many ideas have been thrown into that pile since the original design (van door? vertical latch door (sports car, delorian)?)

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 26 December 2011 - 01:30 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:30 PM

I can only imagine in a rain or snow how much I would enjoy a gaping hole in the side of my car to totally keep out said weather...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:36 PM

I, for one, think this is awesome.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:54 AM

This has been floating around for a few years. I could see a non-powered version being pretty practical, actually, if they could find a way to maybe counterbalance it, and possibly doubly so if they split the door panel into two parts that stacked up vertically when shut but which overlap when the door is opened. the window wouldn't even be a problem if you did it right, you could have it go between the car body (ie, floor) and the two overlapped pieces of door, and if you had the top piece of the vertical door on a differential to the window you could have a bigger window that is protected by the door pieces.

Then again, I think toe-shoes are cool too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:49 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 26 December 2011 - 03:30 PM, said:

I can only imagine in a rain or snow how much I would enjoy a gaping hole in the side of my car to totally keep out said weather...

I was thinking the same thing as I watched and then wondered why not design the door to go up and over and act as a rain awning rather than down and under? I realize that existing gull wing doors (think: DeLorean) do that but I don't see a good reason why this concept couldn't be made to work going overhead rather than underneath.

As for accidents, I can see how having a whole door rather than two doors separated by a pillar would provide greater structural stiffness and provide the ability to design a stronger side impact zone. I don't think these doors provide any less ease of access in the event of an accident than existing doors. In fact, lacking a hinge, they may actually be easier to access. Maybe they're like the space jettison vehicles and have explosive bolts to blow the door off. :)

As for police shootouts...they simply need to adapt. Yesterday's news: stop the car, open the door, get out and hide behind door. Today's news: roll up/down the entire side of the police vehicle, deploy Vulcan minigun, proceed to perform "serve and protect" driveby, make gangsters jealous.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:35 PM

You know, ten years (re-think: ten years and four months) ago, it would have been completely surreal to hear of police serving a warrant on the suspicion of something that would very likely result in a misdemeanor with a SWAT team- now this shit is an everyday occurence. I'm all for law and order and catching (and punishing) bad guys, but if you're doing it this way, you're going to catch or kill good guys too, and the justification for it is cowardice. If you want to go home at the end of the day, that's fine- be prepared- but even the joke about drive-by-vulcan-cops strikes a nerve because they're above prosecution (you can't go after individual officers, and if you respond to them- even if you try to defend yourself when one of them is attempting to rape you, in a recent DC case- you still get charged as and treated as a criminal, and even if the charges are subsequently dropped, they are still on record and those records are notoriously accessible to insurance companies, employers, and basically anybody who does a background check. Not only does this in many cases violate the privacy rights (which are protected most notably in the form of doctor-patient confidentiality), it's always a safe bet to assume the worst until it has been shown not to be the case- and this is good logic that all of us use every day.

This post has been edited by Choscura: 28 December 2011 - 02:37 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:48 PM

Um, Car doors do not stop bullets...

I think this door design would be great on a van, just open the whole side and load it up!
Just think of how much easier it would be to install those #$%$&*ing car seats for the kids!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1