• +
  • Last »

49 Replies - 5198 Views - Last Post: 28 December 2011 - 10:56 PM

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Got into a car accident today...

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:22 AM

So some dude ran a red light as I was turning out of my community and I hit him in the side. I was going relatively low speed, maybe 10 or 15 mph, so slow that my air bag didn't even go off. I had also hit my brakes and the guy just ripped my bumper off (the plastic bit, not the actual reinforcement). Very minor damage to my car considering I t-boned a guy.

His car, a chevy malibu, got fucked up. Cracked his axle, ripped off his fender, screwed up his drive tire, smashed in his passenger door.

I drive a Toyota Yaris. It's a little 2 door car, gets really good fuel mileage, has a high safety rating, and awesomely low insurance (due to the safety rating); especially for a guy who drove tractor trailer which has the potential to litter your record with tickets that don't actually reflect your safe driving ability, but insurance companies still penalize you for, even though they technically aren't supposed to.

What I've found interesting out of this was everyone making snide comments about my car. They always have actually. Saying that I'd die if a bug hit my car, or that it could only go 10 mph, that I should drive large vehicles like a pick-up or an SUV, or even a town-car or sedan, because they're "safer".

What I find bizarre about this is that they aren't actually. Records show that large vehicles are in far more 'fatal' or 'injury related' accidents than small cars (in Florida that is, I don't know national numbers as well, though older numbers have shown the national average to reflect the same thing).

Now I consider my choice in car to be logical. I may like some nice, fast vehicles. Or big ol' trucks. I used to drive tractor trailer for fucks sake... I am licensed to drive, and have had experience on far more vehicles than nearly all the pricks telling me these lies about my car and picking on me for it. I still drive my car because I do know it has a good safety rating, because it has awesome fuel mileage, and I'm only driving to work... I don't need to go 180 mph on my way to work. The only people that do are race-car drivers, and they don't drive that fast 'on their way to work', only while at work. If I want a super fast car (my dream car is a Triumph), or a big ol' truck for work (not every day), I'd get one and drive it on the weekend... because it makes no sense for ME to blow all that money just to commute to work (the only reason I drive is work commuting).

Is it stupid that it bother me so much that people call me a pussy for driving a "ladies car", they even go as far as calling it the "vagina mobile" or "lesbian mobile" (I have a sticker on the back that says "I <3 VAGINA"). When once told this by a buddy who drives a big ol' SUV, I asked him why he says this. And he was all like, "well I really don't care, it's just I couldn't drive a car like that. I have my children to consider. Hence my car." So I directed him to several resources describing how his specific vehicle has an extremely low safety rating, rolls very easily, even explodes in accidents. The response back, "well yeah, but your car would be crushed like a tin can if say a tractor trailer hit it." and shows me a video of a small car being crushed between two tractor trailers.

really?

Tell me, what vehicle WOULD survive that. Those trucks weigh 80,000 lbs each... the trucks themselves don't even survive that kind of accident.

Sorry, just had to have a little rant. So what do you guys think?

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 27 December 2011 - 11:26 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Got into a car accident today...

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Got into a car accident today...

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:31 AM

What I find bizarre about this is that they aren't actually. Records show that large vehicles are in far more 'fatal' or 'injury related' accidents than small cars (in Florida that is, I don't know national numbers as well, though older numbers have shown the national average to reflect the same thing).

Do you think this has to do with the mentality and safety of the people who are buying these larger vehicles or do you think larger vehicles themselves less safe?

Also, good to hear everyone is OK. Car accidents are always a pain in the ass.

This post has been edited by dorknexus: 27 December 2011 - 11:31 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Bastard Operator From Hell
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:31 AM

I am glad you're okay...most people are just ignorant.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:43 AM

View Postdorknexus, on 27 December 2011 - 01:31 PM, said:

Do you think this has to do with the mentality and safety of the people who are buying these larger vehicles or do you think larger vehicles themselves less safe?

I'm no professional, but I've always been of the opinion that it's the mentality of the people assuming their vehicle is safe, combined with the inherent issues of a large vehicle (more difficult to maneuver, harder hit, etc).

Give you an example my last roommate's girlfriend drove a giant boat of a car, a lincoln town-car. She said she drove it because she "felt safer" in the car. The last time I rode in her car while she drove, was the last time I would ever ride with her. She was attempting to make a U-turn on a very large road here in west palm beach that has 4 lanes of traffic in both directions. She did her turn so large due to the size of her vehicle, and her lack of skill at driving, and had to perform a K-turn (3 point turn) to complete the u-turn.

I'm a dick and proceed to look cross-eyed at her from the back seat and ask, "ummm... was there a problem there? Were you not paying attention?"

"Oh, don't worry, it's a big car. If someone hits us we'll be fine."

... "nice to know you consider my safety so much."

The turn:
Spoiler

This is a combination of bad skill, the difficulty of driving a large vehicle (hence the bad skill), and the mentality of the driver in purchasing said vehicle with the expectation of safety... as if a safe car is inherently safe with no effort from the driver.

For those of you thinking that maybe it's a regional thing, and that in your area you don't meet so many people who are ignorant of physics like this. Well 2 things:

1) yes it is regional. West Palm has a far too easy driving test and we have tons of bad drivers.

2) I've driven through all lower 48 states, and through nearly every majour city. Name a city, I've probably been there, and I've probably thrown slushy at your car. West Palm isn't the worst, though bad... Miami, Atlanta, Orlando, LA, San Antonio all are far worse. NYC and Boston are pretty bad as well, but I'm convinced that they can drive, they're all just lost. Srsly, ask a new yorker for directions to their house by street, they don't know (and yes I'm talking about those with cars).

Also, good to hear everyone is OK. Car accidents are always a pain in the ass.

Thanks

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 27 December 2011 - 11:51 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:57 AM

Glad you're not damaged.
I don't know much about car engineering, but your reasoning seems sound to me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:12 PM

This kind of reminds me of the "Older cars are much stronger." "You'll die in that little thing while I can survive anything in my '57 Bel-Air." debate. Just because older vehicles were made with a much higher percentage of steel in the body, doesn't necessarily mean that they're safer. For instance:

This post has been edited by Kilorn: 27 December 2011 - 12:13 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:22 PM

I'm glad you're okay. Car accidents suck, trust me. ;) <3
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:24 PM

Glad to hear you walked away from the accident. It's never good anytime two cars randomly meet. Can I assume you're not at fault for the accident? If so, once the other guy's insurance is done with the claim, don't forget to follow up with them for the depreciated value of your car. I recently had to run GEICO to ground for an accident my wife was in back in July for the depreciated value of our van after they had paid to repair it. Ended up getting $1450 for that so it's likely worthwhile. PM me if you need any examples of the emails I sent the adjuster and what I had to do.

Anyway, about this:

I've heard that one too but I want to say that I recall it was a quote/stat taken somewhat out of context in that the quote says that while injuries/fatalities occur at a higher rate when a large vehicle is involved...it didn't mention that the injuries/fatalities were for ALL passengers in the accident. That is, if a Ford Excursion and a Yugo meet and there are injuries/fatalities, they're more likely in the Yugo.

I want to say someone like the Sierra Club had subtly framed the stat so as to suggest that passengers in the larger vehicles were at increased risk of injury/death when the case actually was that injury/death was more likely in accidents in which a large vehicle was involved.

Again, glad to hear you weren't hurt.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:43 PM

The example of the SUV was my buddies vehicle specifically, because he said he selected his vehicle for its safety which I proved that has vehicle was not safe.

The fatal large vehicle accidents I was talking about was the large vehicle occupants (namely pick-up trucks). Cars have a larger total usually because they are the most common vehicle on the road. But in single vehicle accidents, pick-ups and large vehicles classified as pick-ups tend to have more fatalities per vehicles of that class registered.

2009 iihs states this:

Multiple-vehicle crashes accounted for 36 driver deaths per million registered passenger vehicles in 2006, while there were 38 deaths per million in single-vehicle crashes. In single-vehicle crashes, pickups had the highest number of deaths per registered vehicle (66 per million) in 2006. In multiple-vehicle crashes, cars had the highest number of deaths per registered vehicle (44 per million), and SUVs had the lowest number of deaths per registered vehicle (18 per million).

http://www.iihs.org/.../occupants.html

[edit] sorry linked 2006 report though quoted 2009, updated, here's the 2006 report still: http://www.iihs.org/.../occupants.html

You may also note if you look up previous iihs reports on passenger vehicle fatalities that the percentage of SUV and Pick-up truck related accidents has been consistently growing as those vehicles have become more popular. Which of course is obvious, more cars, more accidents. The reports notes the connection to increasing fatal accidents both in single accidents, and in 2 car accidents which leads me to...

My other personal issue with the small car vs large vehicle is that if everyone wasn't driving unnecessarily large vehicles, this becomes moot. Especially noting extra skill required to drive larger vehicles, despite complete lack of requirement to get extra training to drive larger vehicles (under 26,000 lbs). An expedition hits a civic, the civic passengers die... it's not just because they were driving a civic that killed them. It's also that they were struck by an expedition.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 27 December 2011 - 12:51 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:57 PM

I want to say someone like the Sierra Club had subtly framed the stat so as to suggest that passengers in the larger vehicles were at increased risk of injury/death when the case actually was that injury/death was more likely in accidents in which a large vehicle was involved.

Wow. Did you really mean to suggest that it doesn't matter much if the use of the larger vehicles causes increased injury and death, or was it just foot-in-mouth disease striking again? Leaving aside the offhand assumption that any numbers you don't like must be cooked, this seems a difficult position to take on. Fails on just about every theory of ethics I've ever come across, at least, except for an extremist sort of apathism.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:02 PM

Well I wouldn't have said it the same way, but that's kind of what I was implying.

And is why I was noting on single-vehicle accidents. It's very hard to find two-vehicle accident numbers that include if one of the vehicles was a large vehicle, and which type of vehicle was at fault in the accident. With the number of cars being higher than large vehicles, of course their deaths are going to be higher. But the two vehicle accident numbers only categorize by the dead occupant's vehicle...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:23 PM

I wasn't taking exception with any of it. I was merely making conversation relating a recollection of a controversy that involved a typical anti-SUV group (I'm pretty sure it was the Sierra Club) who spit out a press release saying that SUVs (not necessarily large vehicles...their focus was SUVs) were more dangerous than sedans, etc when some stats came out. It turned out that, at the time, they had conveniently phrased their claim technically correct but inferentially wrong.

That's all.

I actually started to reply to LOD's follow-up post with his stats to say something like "that sounds about right" but that sounded inane and not contributing all that much to the conversation...and I didn't think DIC had a population that would willingly confuse my relating a vague recollection of something to my adoption of such and championing same. Again, it would appear I was incorrect. Just so we're clear, I wasn't trying to dispute what LOD was saying...just mentioning what sounded to me like a similar story is all.

So, Jon...do me a favor and fuck off. I'm getting awfully tired of you tagging around after me humping my leg trying to score some idiot point in some pointless internet ego contest you think you're engaged in.

And LOD, seriously, about the depreciation suggestion I made earlier: that's not something that's normal and usual to a claim and if you don't ask about it, they'll likely be happy to ignore it and close the claim out when your car is repaired and returned to you. Just wanting to pass along something you'd likely benefit from when it's nearing the end of the process.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:25 PM

Thanks for the info about the depreciation, you might hear from my through PM.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 27 December 2011 - 01:36 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:36 PM

Jon, a bit of a suggestion.

When I first entered the forum, and everyone hadn't gotten to know me yet, I ran around debating a lot. It's what I enjoyed doing, and still do to this day. Several members of the forum here are the same way, and we use the caffeine lounge for that purpose. Craig is one of those people as well.

Craig and I (as well as B9, and a few others) butted heads in almost a similar way to how you're currently butting heads. Fueled mostly out of our misinterpretations of intent in what we were saying. We inferred things in each others words that the other may not have actually meant. (note, I've only been here for just a little over a year now)

Calm down dude, don't put words in everyone's mouth, and enjoy the discussion and debate. It'll be for the better in the long run. And you can have some good healthy debates with people of many different backgrounds and opinion. Ideologically Craig and I stand on very different grounds, yet we can hold a respectful debate by not asserting that the other "meant" something really horrible with some of the things they may have said.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 27 December 2011 - 01:37 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#15 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:58 PM

View PostMikhail, on 27 December 2011 - 01:31 PM, said:

I am glad you're okay...most people are just ignorant.

This. I concur.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »