13 Replies - 5580 Views - Last Post: 21 January 2012 - 08:34 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to become a programmer?

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:52 AM

Can anyone please guide me how to become a programmer and make some progress in it ? I need some tips indeed ...
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to become a programmer?

• WinRT Dev
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to become a programmer?

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:57 AM

1. Create a program that prints Hello World
2. Create a program that asks for two numbers and prints the sum.
3. Create a program that prints triangle of char '*' in console
4. ???
5. Profit!
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:41 AM

They've got entire schools dedicated to teaching programming. If you're serious about becoming a programmer, enrolling in one wouldn't be a bad idea. Becoming a decent programmer takes a lot of learning, and a lot of time. (It's not just about learning the syntax for language X.)

Unless you plan on being self-educated, in which case Google is your best friend. It's not easy though, and there will probably be big holes in your education. And it won't help you land a job, not having any formal education. (Small use that actually is when it comes to judging talent.)

I bet you could find some excellent books as well. - Don't ask me where though. I haven't a clue.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:35 AM

My advice would be for you to start with the basics. Whether you plan on enrolling at a university or not, the basics are something best learned by yourself.

Start off with a simple programming language, like C. Learn the basic concepts of the language, and apply them. Solve problems, and solve even more problems. Programming is a lot like mathematics (obviously, since it's derived from it), and is best learned by practice. The book to get here would be "The C programming Language" by Kerninghan and Ritchie.

Once you have mastered the very basics, you'd want to check out basic data structures and algorithms. They're absolutely essential for anything that isn't completely trivial to write. There are a lot of books on this subject, and i can't recommend one and only one, though http://www.amazon.co...o/dp/0201000237 seems like a good place to start.

Afterwards, it would only do good to study a bit of algorithm theory. Skiena's Algorithm Design Manual is one of my favorite books on the subject, and was my first one as well. Having a pdf of Knuth's Art of Computer Programming is also always good, as it combines almost every general purpose algorithm you must have, complete with explanations, pros and cons.

As a final, i would say that learning the underlying mathematics is a very good idea as well, though for beginners, it's not a must. For advanced programming, though, tables turn. Refer to the book: 'Discrete Mathematics and its Applications' by Rosen, as it showcases all the fundamentals needed, such as Logic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:43 AM

We can help you by saying "First learn basic programming and the language of C#. Then take on assignments." Could someone here write this program for you? Sure. Could someone here map out all the processes you need to follow and do the Software Design part of this in the slim hope you could code it from there? Sure. But we don't volunteer to do the job that you're either getting paid for, or getting a grade for. You may want to read this.

For now, just work on the lessons. Do a self-teaching book from cover to cover. Then consider writing a program.

Don't try to create a useful working program to fit a need of yours (or a for-pay contract) as your introduction to coding project. When you are learning to code you don't know enough to code a program, let alone know how to engineer the architecture of a program. It would be like saying "I don't know how to read sheet music, or play an instrument. I think I'll write a 3 act opera as my first learning experience."

I don't say this to be mean. We've seen lots of new coders take this approach and we know it doesn't work. Trying to design your own programs before you understand the basics of the code language you've chosen just leads to problems, frustrations, and 'swiss-cheese' education (lots of holes).

Resources, references and suggestions for new programmers. - Updated Dec 2011
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:53 PM

Good answer :) (Though i still think C#'s bad for beginners)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:46 AM

This is pretty much the same question as "How do I become a writer" or "How do I become a good cook" or whatever. You write, you cook, you program. You do the thing that defines the occupation.

Don't know how to program? Pick a language, or a book, doesn't really matter what as long as you access to a system that will allow you to do work. And then, do work.

There are lots of ideas about which is the best first language, or what environment works best. What will get you going faster. What will give you the best foundation. On and on. You can read up on all of that, if you like. You might even be intimidated by it all; don't be. Just pick something at start. Starting is the hardest part in learning anything new. Just start.

You're not a programmer until you write a program. You're not a good programmer until your write lots and lots of programs.

It's really that simple, I'm afraid. Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

I Think than for become a programmer you have to learn so much and practice it all time, if you have questions, is better google it before to ask.

PD: I`m Sorry for my english
Dew!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:20 PM

You may find my thread Getting Better at Programming Java helpful as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:42 PM

I just thought that I'd add my 2 cents worth here...

Understand that the programming field has many sub-fields... There are coders (Those that see programming code as a second language, sometimes even their first... They usually get jobs sitting in a dark closet producing miraculous code for the backend ==> Just kidding coders), then there are those that are much better working on the front end, the UI (User Interface), they know how to make the program functionally feasible and graphically pleasing for the end user, then there are those that see the entire project, all of its components, classes, desired end results, etc. and are capable of the program deployment...

Then there are those special few programmers who can do all of the above, and do it well...

At some point you'll have to decide what type of programmer you are and that'll set you on a course to better improve your abilities within that area...

There are different titles for different types of programmers, but it would seem there is no standardization, eg, programmer, analyst, engineer, etc. Depending on the company, they may have different definitions of each.

I guess the point that I was trying to get at is this, if you want to become a programmer... Don't get discouraged if you don't end up being able to eat, drink, sleep, in Code... Perhaps you'll be better suited in a different category of programmer...

Keep in mind though, to become a programmer, you either have to be naturally above average intelligence or you have to be passionate about it... Both is preferred.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:18 AM

Here, this should keep you busy:
My link
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:31 AM

That link is not a starting point. The first headings after the intro paragraph are:

Learn to Debug
How to Debug by Splitting the Problem Space
How to Remove an Error
How to Debug Using a Log

A log, seriously?
Spoiler

No, those are for people who already know how to program. Start by finding a book and working through it doing the problems. As well as the problems, experiment with the code you write. See how you can change it and do any mini tasks you get an idea for as you go through.

This post has been edited by cfoley: 21 January 2012 - 07:32 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:35 AM

That IS an excellent link for how to become a REAL programmer, though!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:34 AM

The fact that they managed to specifically set the wrong character encoding for the article is somewhat off-putting though... :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1