8 Replies - 4127 Views - Last Post: 03 January 2012 - 03:23 PM

#1 ToshNeox  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 8
  • View blog
  • Posts: 100
  • Joined: 10-December 11

'Pinger' Ping tool

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:15 AM

Hi. I just made a new program and I would appreciate your feedback and improvements. I made it for myself mainly because sometimes my server's network cable comes loose and I lose connection, and this program will ping any host you want every minute, 5 minutes, half an hour, or hour.

Could you try out my program and see if it works for you? I would like constructive criticism on which I can update the program. I am currently learning VB.NET but in my opinion I'm making some nice programs. I've been doing it for about a couple of weeks, but I learn quickly.

Project page: http://toshbase.net/...Programs/Pinger

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: 'Pinger' Ping tool

#2 Aphex19  Icon User is offline

  • Born again Pastafarian.
  • member icon

Reputation: 614
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,873
  • Joined: 02-August 09

Re: 'Pinger' Ping tool

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:53 AM

My two cents.

- Is a setup installer really necessary for a small application like this? Perhaps it could be optional?
- When I input a badly formatted IP address, I get an unhandled exception message box.

I think it's a good idea though. It could be handy.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 T3hC13h  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular

Reputation: 65
  • View blog
  • Posts: 337
  • Joined: 05-February 08

Re: 'Pinger' Ping tool

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:40 AM

Why didn't you just buy a new cable?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 ToshNeox  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 8
  • View blog
  • Posts: 100
  • Joined: 10-December 11

Re: 'Pinger' Ping tool

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:52 AM

View PostAphex19, on 30 December 2011 - 01:53 AM, said:

My two cents.

- Is a setup installer really necessary for a small application like this? Perhaps it could be optional?
- When I input a badly formatted IP address, I get an unhandled exception message box.

I think it's a good idea though. It could be handy.


Hello and thanks for your feedback. First of all, the installer is handy as the program can be updated easier and across many computers, and also it allows me more flexibility for installing registry entries etc. without me having to do it manually. It's also better than the OneClickApplication installer :). Secondly, I know the error exists and I will fix it and release an update ASAP.



View PostT3hC13h, on 30 December 2011 - 04:40 AM, said:

Why didn't you just buy a new cable?


Although it is very off-topic, I have two cables. One runs from my router, through the ceiling/floor upstairs and then goes into an extension lead to provide surge protection. Then a cable goes from there to the server. The clip is broken so it can sometimes come out. EDIT: Also, the cable is about 30 meters long so I can't afford to replace it and have to get it through the floor again xD

This post has been edited by ToshNeox: 30 December 2011 - 09:54 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 ToshNeox  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 8
  • View blog
  • Posts: 100
  • Joined: 10-December 11

Re: 'Pinger' Ping tool

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:16 AM

Updated!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 DimitriV  Icon User is online

  • Renewed D.I.C Head
  • member icon

Reputation: 551
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,648
  • Joined: 24-July 11

Re: 'Pinger' Ping tool

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:21 PM

Hi
To prevent errors:

Quote

When I input a badly formatted IP address, I get an unhandled exception message box.

Put the ping code within a Try...Catch block to catch the errors. Then it's up to you to display them or not.
http://msdn.microsof...y/fk6t46tz.aspx

But apart from that, it's cool. Howd'ya get a wiki on it? I'm interested to know.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 ToshNeox  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 8
  • View blog
  • Posts: 100
  • Joined: 10-December 11

Re: 'Pinger' Ping tool

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:10 PM

View PostjimmyBo, on 31 December 2011 - 10:21 PM, said:

Hi
To prevent errors:

Quote

When I input a badly formatted IP address, I get an unhandled exception message box.

Put the ping code within a Try...Catch block to catch the errors. Then it's up to you to display them or not.
http://msdn.microsof...y/fk6t46tz.aspx

But apart from that, it's cool. Howd'ya get a wiki on it? I'm interested to know.


Hi jimmyBo I knew how to fix the error, just didn't have time to put it in. I've updated it now. The wiki is my own website running MediaWiki; the same software as Wikipedia. It's free and can be installed with Softaculous if you get it. It provides a quick organisation method and it's easy to get to pages :).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 T3hC13h  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular

Reputation: 65
  • View blog
  • Posts: 337
  • Joined: 05-February 08

Re: 'Pinger' Ping tool

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:25 PM

View PostToshNeox, on 30 December 2011 - 11:52 AM, said:

...Also, the cable is about 30 meters long so I can't afford to replace it and have to get it through the floor again xD


Just buy a RJ-45 crimping tool and replacing the broken connector.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 ToshNeox  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 8
  • View blog
  • Posts: 100
  • Joined: 10-December 11

Re: 'Pinger' Ping tool

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:23 PM

View PostT3hC13h, on 03 January 2012 - 12:25 PM, said:

View PostToshNeox, on 30 December 2011 - 11:52 AM, said:

...Also, the cable is about 30 meters long so I can't afford to replace it and have to get it through the floor again xD


Just buy a RJ-45 crimping tool and replacing the broken connector.


Okay I understand that you're trying to help me, but I'm just not fixing it... *laughs* I'll remember the crimping tool method if I need it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1