Game Institute: Ultimate Deal

• (3 Pages)
  • +

42 Replies - 16622 Views - Last Post: 07 November 2012 - 05:03 PM Rate Topic: -----

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Game Institute: Ultimate Deal

Post icon  Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:23 AM

POPULAR

Game Institute are currently selling their entire game programming and development package for only $99. That includes text books and all the course content, tuition time and other features.

https://secure.gamei...sale/ws2011.php

The courses on offer are really good, I have done one myself and I will definitely be purchasing this.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 7
  • +

Replies To: Game Institute: Ultimate Deal

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Game Institute: Ultimate Deal

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:33 AM

Good find! I'll have to look into this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:43 AM

That's an awesome deal. Wish I could afford it right now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:47 AM

Any idea when it expires? I didn't catch that when I skimmed the innards.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:50 AM

it doesn't say (I don't think) but it's a winter 2011 sale so I'm guessing just a few more days. Get them bought!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 Apokio  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:58 AM

Do you get something saying you have completed all the courses if/when you do? The website says something about paying extra for instructor support at a discount, but it also you get enrollment into the courses (I think)? I think it is a good value for just the lesson plans and materials but it would be nice to know for sure if you get some kind of credit and/or grades for the assignments you complete. I will shoot them an email and see what they have to say, but if anyone already knows it would be good to post here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:03 AM

There's no reason you can't just put the fact that you have completed the courses onto your CV/Resume. If you want actual college credits you have to sign up to another website which is only available in the US, dunno if it's too pricey but they can track and approve your college credits. You also have to take a proctored exam to be eligible for the credits.

I did the courses to learn and knew I probably wouldn't be able to get actual certificates as I am in the UK. Emailing them is a good idea, they may have options for you :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 Apokio  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:26 AM

I completed my degree online here in the US and I have read the way you get college credit through them, which is not something I really want since I already have a degree and most likely it would cost a lot more money to just get another piece of paper. I will probably just do it because I will have all the source code, applications, and knowledge to display that I have learned something. I am really on the fence about pursuing a career in game development and $99 isn't that bad to figure out if that is really what I want to do. I want to code full time just don't know if creating games will make games no fun for me anymore. I just have some career options to think about. It is all about happiness for me.

Have you ever used any of the timeblocks that they talk about? Do you need them to complete the courses? BTW thanks for posting this it may open up some more options for me in the future.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:29 AM

I used a few time blocks just for the smaller things I didn't understand in the maths course. I think you will get some time blocks with the package but I don't know how many. I will check if I get around to using them.

....And no problem.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:42 AM

Good find! I haven't been all that into C++ or game development, but for $99 I'll get into it. Awesome, thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 Apokio  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:38 AM

I got a reply back from the email I sent and basically it says that you have access to all the course materials. You are able to study and take the exams and you can buy the timeblocks for instructor access should you need it. When you pass the exams you will get a certificate and if you wish to opt in for the proctored exams you can do that then or at a later date. So yeah, it seems like all the classes for $99 which is a really good deal compared to what they normally charge. Time to dive in, head first.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:14 AM

It mentions a 12 month period, does that mean I'm essentially renting all this stuff for a year, or do I get it all forever once I buy it?

If it's to keep forever then I'm definitely on board, as it's about the same price as a couple of good books here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 Apokio  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:46 AM

All the course materials are downloadable so you keep them forever. I am pretty sure you have access on the website forever too. The 12 month thing it mentions is a 30% discount for the next year on timeblocks which get you instructor time and access to post questions in the forums.

I signed up and just looking over the first few courses syallabus it seems pretty well structured and gives you in good detail what you need to learn. I haven't started any of the lessons and probably won't until I get home but I am excited about it and hope to knock these courses out and gain some new skills.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:07 PM

They're just selling their course! I don't think it offers anything that you can't get via alternative means, and cheaper means if you include the tuition offer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:54 AM

You get access to lectures, PDF or printed versions of textbooks, classroom chat rooms and forums. This is a great package no matter how you look at it, they're selling pretty much their entire course package for less than they usually charge for one course. How could that possibly not be a good deal?

It's perfectly alright to learn something through a structured and well set up program rather than rely on trying to find the information yourself. In fact I would recommend it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +