I tried this problem but i keep getting errors, how do i fix them

• (2 Pages)
  • +

18 Replies - 6139 Views - Last Post: 06 January 2012 - 09:44 PM Rate Topic: -----

• Coding Dynamo
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I tried this problem but i keep getting errors, how do i fix them

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

I edited my post. Take a look at it. You were writing that while I was editing my post.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

even when i put the this.total i get an error saying it does not contain a definition for total

nvm sorry my mistake
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:08 PM

would i be able to take out the private double[] months = new double[12];
and place it in a method instead of leaving it in a private field, why does it have to be in a private field as opposed to a method in just placing it in the main method?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:44 PM

I'm sorry for how this sounds. I tend to take the stance that I can do you more good and give you more long-term meaningful help by being frank and give you adult-level honesty. I don't feel it does anyone any good to coddle them and do nothing but blow sunshine and rainbows up their skirt. I'd rather say something to motivate you than feel my place is to bolster your false high self esteem.

View Postskyline2162, on 02 January 2012 - 01:16 PM, said:

I've tried going through those, the only way im learning is through struggling to write code from scratch, the thought process i guess is helping me, i've tried reading sooo much and watching videos but honestly im not learning until i actaully type it.

I hear this a lot and the only thing I can think is students are buying the wrong books. Or they read the information and don't feel they need to actually work the lessons/exercises. This argument sounds like there are only two choices:
  • Develop from scratch even though they haven't learned the language yet.
  • Just read C# dictionaries.

Maybe this is from students buying the course textbook and reading it on their own, without the benefit of the teacher and their lesson plan and exercise assignments. When one mis-uses the materials, or only has 25% of the materials, of course they won't learn.

Here's a tip when selecting a book: If it is a dictionary of the language it is not a teaching book. Titles like "C# 4.0, The Complete Language" are not teaching books. If the title includes the words "Learn" or "Master" or "Teach" they might be teaching books. "Learn C# in 21 days", "Master C# in 2 hours a night", "Head First C#, A self-teaching guide" Then they are probably teaching books with a lesson plan and exercises to help you build up skills.

Obviously you didn't read the resources list I posted or get any one of the NUMEROUS self-teaching books.

Self-teaching books HAVE YOU TYPING CODE. They are NOT just reading as you describe.

C# is a language just like Russian or English. You cannot learn Italian by just reading an Italian dictionary. Or even reading an English-to-Italian dictionary. You have to take lessons and do the learning exercises. Those lessons and exercises are developed by professionals to take place in a sequence proven to work, by taking the student from simple to complex concepts. You did not learn how to compose literary works in English by just reading a dictionary. You worked at lessons that taught you the syntactical use of verbs, nouns, additives and so on. You worked lessons that had you build simple things first like "Those are my apples. These are your pencils", and worked up from there.

So why are you trying to "just read" to learn C#? Or why are you insisting on trying to design and code a working program without first learning the language? It makes no sense! Its like saying you have to design and write a mystery novel as your introductory educational process to learn German. Its just a fraking ridiculous argument to try to take or defend.

There are numerous on-line learning series on the internet that have you learning and WRITING code, not just reading. We have them right here on DIC and they have been linked to you several times. There are many good guided self-teaching books, that once again are NOT just reading but teaching through proven methods of:
  • Introduce new material
  • Have student exercise with new material

Yet you insist that you don't need to go the route that has worked for the 3 generation of coders before you: Representatives of which are here TELLING you that is the way to learn this science/skill/art.

would i be able to take out the private double[] months = new double[12];
and place it in a method instead of leaving it in a private field, why does it have to be in a private field as opposed to a method in just placing it in the main method?

Questions like this last one show just how badly you need to stop trying to write this program and just concentrate on learning the language through some sort of guided lesson plan. This question is filled with so much lack of understanding that it is hard to know where to start in an effort to answer it. To answer this someone would have to back up 5 chapters and help you get a grasp of certain introductory concepts. It's not right to ask that of people that have already devoted tens or hundreds of hours to develop the tutorials we have here. You shouldn't be asking them to repeat themselves because you feel you need special hand-holding or because you don't want to get the right books or because you don't want to actually work the exercises in the books or tutorials.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +