• member icon

• View blog

2D Browser Based RPG

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:37 PM

Updates:

http://tfrpg.net46.net/rpgbattle/ <- Game Link

Updated Screen Shots:

Attached Image

Hey. I've been working on a 2D RPG in PHP these past few months and wanted to get some feedback on it so far. At the moment, I'm mainly focused on the map system and how the player walks/interacts with the map and the environment. I have a crude battle system going, but am going to be making some major upgrades to it, so I've decided to leave it out of the video for now.

Right now I'm using the Fighter sprite from Final Fantasy as the player's sprite--until I actually create one lol. I don't know whether I'd like to continue with this project and create an RPG with it, make it an open-source engine, or just play around with it for experience, atm. I still have a lot to do, but would appreciate some cc on this project. Thanks :)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=vO-VKbSF09o

That's the link to the video I recorded of it so far.

Also, the project is done purely in HTML and PHP; I'm aiming for a simple game that can be played on all browsers, without the need for extra software such as Flash or Java. That being said, the quality of the game won't be the best lol.

Anyway, I'll upload some screen shots later; as my lap top is about to die lol. And sorry for the crappy video quality :\

Screen Shots:

Attached Image ^ New Battle System
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

This post has been edited by xxxjj18: 07 January 2012 - 10:58 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: 2D Browser Based RPG

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: 2D Browser Based RPG

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:44 AM

I've got a few updates:

Completely New Battle System
Register/Login System

Those are the two major updates lol. I've also uploaded the files to a web host, so anybody can register and try it out.

For some reason, on this certain host, the game may or may not lag a little whilst loading the images; I think it has to do with the side scripts that the host loads into the page; like for analytics and such. Or maybe its because my Internet sucks; somebody that tried it said it loaded perfectly fine lol.

Anyway, the link is here: http://tfrpg.net46.net/rpgbattle/ . Hopefully people will try it out lol xD

Some new screen shots:

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Edit:

Forgot to mention; I'm using the background in the battle from rpg maker, and the wolf sprite is from Google; I'm more focused on polishing up the actual engine at the moment; then I'll create the images lol

This post has been edited by xxxjj18: 07 January 2012 - 10:47 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:38 PM

A minor update:

I added a new area; the Inn. So far I'm going to make it so that when the player dies, they'll respawn at the Inn. At the moment its not much, but I plan to add NPCs and an upper level where the player can rest. I also plan to add an NPC that runs the Inn that the player can talk to and buy items from--though I still have to implement items into the game :P

Screenshot:

Attached Image

Haha I still have to add things like tables and NPCs and such though; this is just a bare-bones view of it lol.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:52 AM

Updates:

Added an 'NPC' (still in progress lmao) to the Inn and a table and chairs. There's also a doorway in the back of the Inn which will lead upstairs, where quest opportunities can be found as well as the beds to rest in.

I've updated the outside of the Inn, so now it's actually a building lol (it's still crude, however :\).

More updates on the way.

Screenshots:

Attached Image
Attached Image

This post has been edited by xxxjj18: 21 January 2012 - 09:56 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:33 AM

look amazing :) im working on a dragonball z browser rpg i hope it will be as good as yours
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Great::Southern::Land
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:22 AM

Good stuff, always fun working on projects of your own like this :)

Keep the updates coming
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:43 AM

Well, I really want to play the game, but I can't register. It says there is an error.

Looks really good to.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

Really? I'll look into it.

I haven't worked on this project in a while.. I've been really busy :X

However I think I'll resume progress on it sometimes this week.

And please note, the game is a big slow as of now due to the nature of it (being solely php and html based), but I'm thinking of ways to improve this (such as ajax)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:18 AM

Updates:

I've fixed the register problem; it should work just fine now :)

And I'm working on converting this project to PHP/AJAX; this would eliminate the lag.

I'll post back later with screen shots and more updates :)

Edit:

This is working out better than I expected :D At least, for my first day of AJAX programming lol.. Right now the game has almost no lag and is working perfectly.

Albeit there being a half a second delay at times, the game runs pretty great. Now it's time to convert everything.......... :X

Anyway, I'll upload a video later of my progress. Cyas

This post has been edited by xxxjj18: 01 March 2012 - 07:02 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:26 AM

Thanks for sharing,

Keep a good work!

Can you may be put some details how you make character to move on map (layers) and map scroll with coordinates, please?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:04 PM

This looks great! It would be nice if you could make it so we don't have to register to test it out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:34 PM

Thanks for the feedback :)

I haven't worked on this in a while.. But seeing as it is the summer time, I figured I might as well pick back up on it :P

I'm not exactly sure how I'd like to approach this project; I'm leaning more towards text based rather than the system I was working on; the old system was highly sluggish and inefficient, and rather pointless.

I have a lot of great ideas for the project, however, and do not plan to quit its continuation.

I'm going to make this game highly interactive between players; pvp, trade between players, a live chat system, etc.

At the moment I'm working on an equipment system.

So far I've created one armor set xD, and a test page that randomly selects pieces of equipment to put onto the player.

All the script really does is compile a final player image by using other images (such as the torso piece or the pants on the legs or the hair on the head), but I have high hopes for it.

Here are a few screenshots of what the script has created so far;

Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Items that can be equipped are the player's hair, a head item, a face item, shoulder items, a torso item, arm items, a hip item, a leg item, and feet items.

That's basically what I've been working on recently (aka these past few hours xD).

An idea that I have for the battle system is a sort of unique damage dealing system where each enemy (or weapon that the player uses) has a certain damage range; the upper body, mid-body, and lower body.

Depending on the enemy's/player's weapon, the player will be hit accordingly.

So, for example, if a player has a light chain armor equipped for their torso, but heavy plate legs equipped on their legs, then the player is more susceptible to upper body attacks, and would be weaker against an enemy that specializes in upper body attacks.

However, this same player would be stronger against an enemy that primarily uses lower body attacks.

Depending on the player's class, the player will naturally have higher or lower upper/mid/lower body defense.

The player can also gain natural upper/mid/lower body defense by completing quests and missions.

These are just some thoughts that I've put into the project; I hope to actually put them into code and see the final outcome.

TL;DR:

I'm making an equipment system, and a unique battle system where the player's equipped armor plays a significant role in his/her defense. I'm also going to implement heavy multiplayer features.

A live demo of the equipment system can be found here ( http://jgdesigns.fre...gcloud.com/rpg/ )
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

This looks good. I've always wanted to learn how to do something like this. If you would like, I would love to help you out with this project.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1