9 Replies - 1174 Views - Last Post: 06 January 2012 - 07:16 AM

#1 GunnerInc  Icon User is online

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

GPU question.

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:28 PM

So, I built this box in October/November and put in a NVidia 560 Ti. Just got my new 3rd monitor today and went to play Skyrim in 3D and it lags like crazy (non 3D the card works great all around). So question is do I get another 560 Ti for SLI or do I get one of a better card like the 570/580/or 590? I am thinking SLI is the way to go since each card will render each image right?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: GPU question.

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: GPU question.

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:53 PM

Your Nvidia card, though capable of pushing multiple monitors, isn't really designed to be pushing 3 monitors AND doing hardcore graphics at the same time.

I have a 460 in my machine for playing video games. It pushes my main display, a 30 inch monitor at 2560x1600. I have multiple monitors as well, the auxiliary monitors I have pushed by another video-card as they don't really do heavy graphics processing like video-games.

I do NOT run these 2 video cards in SLI, because SLI is about harnessing the power of multiple GPUs to process a single image (your game's output for instance)... instead I just dedicate one card to the big monitor and gaming, and the other card to the secondary monitors. The second card isn't even that pimp of a card, it's an old 8900 I had laying around.

The 460 runs Skyrim at 2560x1600, with mostly max options beautifully with little to no lag. So I think your 560 will handle that just fine as long as you let it do JUST THAT and not also try to be pushing 2 MORE monitors as well.

Think of it like this...

(one card)would you rather 1 guy doing 3 things, 1 super hard and 2 semi difficult; or
(2 cards in SLI)would you rather 2 guys doing 3 things, 1 super hard and 2 semi difficult; or
(2 cards independent)would you rather 1 guy doing the super hard thing, and another guy doing the 2 semi difficult things?

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 04 January 2012 - 05:58 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:16 PM

SLI works really badly in my experience. I SLIed my two 9800gtx+ GPUs but it created horrible incompatibilities with quite a few games and didn't even preform that much better on crysis/empire total war/far cry 2/and other games where I needed it. they say it's like 1.8 times faster but I think most applications don't scale well with 2 GPUs much like most applications don't scale well with multi-core procs. maybe if games were written in erlang :P

that doesn't mean it doesn't help and it's probably gotten better sense I last used it. but it's not the 1.9 or 2.8 that they tell you with 2-way and 3-way SLI. more like 1.4 for 2-way would be my subjective guess.

edit: also just my 1 9800gtx+ runs skyrim on maxed out settings(sans AA which needs to be 2 or 4) and only lags a little(sometimes in towns after I have been playing for several hours it starts to lag. I cleaned out all the dust from my computer and that seems to have helped)

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 04 January 2012 - 09:19 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:14 AM

So I think your 560 will handle that just fine as long as you let it do JUST THAT and not also try to be pushing 2 MORE monitors as well.

The OP said it works fine without 3D (assuming he meant 3 displays). If Skyrim requires a GTX 260 to play on high settings, don't you think a 560 Ti could run 3 displays (perhaps at 1200 or 1080 res.) ?

GunnerInc: Do have the latest driver (290.53)?

Optimizations for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Increases performance by up to 25% in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim vs. 290.36 drivers (measured with GeForce GTX 560 at 19x10 Ultra Indoor Scene). Results will vary depending on your GPU, system configuration, and in-game location.

Also, what happens when you run 3D on one or two displays? Still lagging?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:14 AM

View Postblackcompe, on 05 January 2012 - 03:14 AM, said:

So I think your 560 will handle that just fine as long as you let it do JUST THAT and not also try to be pushing 2 MORE monitors as well.

The OP said it works fine without 3D (assuming he meant 3 displays). If Skyrim requires a GTX 260 to play on high settings, don't you think a 560 Ti could run 3 displays (perhaps at 1200 or 1080 res.) ?

Notice I said "just", as in EITHER play games with the card OR push 3 monitors. He's saying he got a 3rd monitor and that now while he plays skyrim he gets lag... he's trying to do BOTH at the same time.

If you're suggesting that the card should be able to push 3 displays AND Skyrim at the same time since the 260 can do Skyrim full on 1 display... well, that's just kind of ridiculous. The 560 may be better than the 260, but not that much better.

What he's done is taken 1 GPU and split it across 3 displays. That's a lot of work right there. Then to say 1 of those displays is also requiring 3D graphics to be rendered... we're in hotter soup now.

I was also explaining that SLI wouldn't be the best idea either because SLI is designed for enhancing the push of a single draw screen, not multi-monitor. For instance if you have any multi-GPU card usually the settings suggest to run EITHER multi-monitor where one GPU runs each monitor, or run SLI/Crossfire on ONE monitor.

This is why I suggested getting a second card, nothing super special as it won't be playing videogames, and having that card push the auxiliary monitors while the 560 pushes the main monitor where he does his gaming.

Note doing 3D stuff vs 2D stuff is actually different stuff in the card. The 3D is much harder and the cards are designed for that, but they also support a lot of 2D stuff which is rarely really talked about because consumers are all about the 3D. The 2D still requires SOMETHING to work. Pushing 3 monitors is quite a bit of work as 2D standards go, especially if those monitors are high resolutions. Now telling the card to mix together all these things in its pipeline so that every refresh cycle it renders a 3D scene, then renders a 2D scene, then renders yet another 2D scene before returning back to the 3D scene for the next frame... talk about a juggling act for a GPU designed to do 3D. Lets not forget about the memory and cache, which the Fermi-core likes to do a lot of caching to increase speed... but it's hard to cache if we're bloating it up with 3 displays that need get swapped in and out of the core for rendering.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 05 January 2012 - 07:26 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:54 AM

Quit playing Skyrim & get back to coding assembly tutorials.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:32 AM

lordofduct: Yeah, I don't know shit about GPUs. I guess I underestimated today's games. Now that I actually looked in the NVIDIA forums, I'm seeing many posts saying a 560 won't even push 3 monitors.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 GunnerInc  Icon User is online

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:52 PM

@blackcompe - Keeping current on drivers is a big thing for me, so yes I do have the current.

@no2pencil - I already wrote the code, just have to write a tut for the one I am going to submit... Give me bit of time, then there will be 2 in the queue. But c'mon have to dedicate sometime to Skyrim :)

Well, got rid of the 3rd monitor (my older 17" lcd) not enough room on the desk for now. I actually never pushed a game through more than 1 monitor, I use them for - 1 has say my code, another has documentation and a third for Olly.

Anyhoo, I had Skyrim on all settings as high as they would go, non 3D the game ran smooth, IN 3D the game lagged, so I turned the settings down till it ran smooth. My understanding of SLI or Crossfire was that 1 card renders "the top half" and the 2nd card renders "the bottom half" and 3D is 2 images it would help out. I am thinking it won't from what you all say, so it would be better to just spend the 7 or 800 on the top o'the line card which would work better?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:49 AM

You missed the big thing rendering graphics isn't whether a game is running. Pushing more than one screen on a card is taxing. To want to play games and push two other screens is where the problem lies. If you take another card, not SLI and have it handle the two other screens and dedicate the one card to your gaming on one screen you'll find your performance greatly improved.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:16 AM

View PostGunnerInc, on 05 January 2012 - 06:52 PM, said:

@blackcompe - Keeping current on drivers is a big thing for me, so yes I do have the current.

@no2pencil - I already wrote the code, just have to write a tut for the one I am going to submit... Give me bit of time, then there will be 2 in the queue. But c'mon have to dedicate sometime to Skyrim :)

Well, got rid of the 3rd monitor (my older 17" lcd) not enough room on the desk for now. I actually never pushed a game through more than 1 monitor, I use them for - 1 has say my code, another has documentation and a third for Olly.

Anyhoo, I had Skyrim on all settings as high as they would go, non 3D the game ran smooth, IN 3D the game lagged, so I turned the settings down till it ran smooth. My understanding of SLI or Crossfire was that 1 card renders "the top half" and the 2nd card renders "the bottom half" and 3D is 2 images it would help out. I am thinking it won't from what you all say, so it would be better to just spend the 7 or 800 on the top o'the line card which would work better?

wow dude, way to miss my two posts explaining your issue.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1