6 Replies - 1237 Views - Last Post: 22 November 2012 - 06:13 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

virtualization

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:12 PM

I tried finding and answer to this but just can't get a clear one.

I love linux but I have a lot if need for windows also. I'm looking to purchase a new laptop soon and was debating dual boot but I'm curious about virtualization. I find I use both equally.

Should I run windows as my virtual or linux??
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: virtualization

• They don't think it be like it is, but it do
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: virtualization

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:16 PM

Dual booting is harder with laptops for some reasons - virtualization is the way to go.
You'll need to choose your primary OS because with virtualization you must allocate memory to both of your OSes, so you'd be splitting your resources. This means you can't perform as many CPU-intensive tasks on either OS because their resources are shared.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:12 AM

I appreciate the reply, Thank you. On a laptop the most I use is ADobe Creative Suite and Visual Studio. Sometimes at the same time so I would expect some slow downs...

My second option is just get a nice laptop with Linux and keep my desktop with Windows 7. Then use LogMeIn or something similar to work back and forth.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:58 AM

Dual booting is harder with laptops for some reasons

Ah, what? Since when?

You'll need to choose your primary OS because with virtualization you must allocate memory to both of your OSes, so you'd be splitting your resources.

Assuming the virtual os is actually running. I use virtualbox and have: a win2k3 server, three XP home, and mint all running in active instances on a windows 7 box with about 7gb of ram. Sure not the best experience but it does the trick.

So the trick is to remember that if you use something like virtualbox it functions just like any
normal app - if it's running it takes up resources. Just know how to set up the instances to use some bare specs and you are good.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:16 AM

Virtualization is the best way to deal with multiple OS needs, either that or WINE.

By going this route you circumvent the need for a complete reboot to access the other OS, something that takes way too much time. The other issue is that Windows won't read a Linux file system, which can be a serious pain for sharing files.

Really though, it depends on the amount of RAM you have. I wouldn't dare run virtuals in any less than 4gB of RAM. It's possible, yes, but the amount of lag you'll get can seriously hamper productivity (especially in Win/other mixes.)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:14 AM

I do not intend to derail this topic but after using Hyper-v virtualization I enjoy dual boot more. What software package do you all use for your Virtual systems on a Windows based pc?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:13 AM

Figured I would just finish off my initial thread here. I ended up purchasing a Linux laptop by System76. I bought their top model with Ubuntu 12.04. I ended up using virtual box and have win7 in it. It has fulfilled my needs so far and I'm impressed by how seamless it is. Only problems I've encountered is when a new kernel comes around I have to instal dkms and vbox setup to clear up an error, but it takes no time at all and again I'm pretty happy with it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1