Codeacademy.com, Good Idea or Disaster for Programmers?

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

99 Replies - 51018 Views - Last Post: 30 May 2014 - 04:18 AM

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Codeacademy.com, Good Idea or Disaster for Programmers?

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:26 PM

Oh, god this nonsense again? There's something charmingly pathetic about the insistence that users of some languages are not "really" writing code. It's almost as if the person making the claim doesn't realize that they're only pointing out their lack of confidence in their own abilities as a programmer - but why else would anyone go to the trouble of making such a vacuous claim?

For my purposes, "code" means something like "a formal instruction set for expressing your will unambiguously in terms that a machine can understand unambiguously." That would include all of the languages under discussion so far - markup languages, real-man languages, scripting languages, whatever. These are tools - you use the right one for the job. A roofing hammer is not a finishing hammer, but both are real hammers.

There are certainly formal bases on which you could divide programming languages from markup languages, but really, that's sort of a useless distinction unless you're talking about the formal properties of languages for some reason. In the real world, if I need a website styled well, I have to find someone who knows how to do that, or else I'd have to spend a long time becoming good at doing that. And that makes me think I'd have to be a bit of an ass to spend my time denigrating that particular skill set.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:45 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 19 May 2014 - 05:26 PM, said:

Oh, god this nonsense again? There's something charmingly pathetic about the insistence that users of some languages are not "really" writing code. It's almost as if the person making the claim doesn't realize that they're only pointing out their lack of confidence in their own abilities as a programmer - but why else would anyone go to the trouble of making such a vacuous claim?

For my purposes, "code" means something like "a formal instruction set for expressing your will unambiguously in terms that a machine can understand unambiguously." That would include all of the languages under discussion so far - markup languages, real-man languages, scripting languages, whatever. These are tools - you use the right one for the job. A roofing hammer is not a finishing hammer, but both are real hammers.

There are certainly formal bases on which you could divide programming languages from markup languages, but really, that's sort of a useless distinction unless you're talking about the formal properties of languages for some reason. In the real world, if I need a website styled well, I have to find someone who knows how to do that, or else I'd have to spend a long time becoming good at doing that. And that makes me think I'd have to be a bit of an ass to spend my time denigrating that particular skill set.

This isn't helpful. I don't really care. The class I'm in does. I asked about classes, but this system won't let me down vote this answer.
Was This Post Helpful? -2
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:47 PM

I think you may have missed the intent of that post.. it appears to be a general response to when folks are pointing fingers at who has a real language or not.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:15 PM

This isn't helpful. I don't really care. The class I'm in does. I asked about classes

I want to point out a few things. First, this is someone else's thread that you chose to necropost. That's all well and good, as there was semi-relevant discussion. However, you should be aware that doing such invites discussion relevant to the flow of the thread before it died off, as well as based on commentary made. Dream.in.Code is not strictly a Q&A site. That means saying "you didn't answer my question, so your response is worthless" isn't really appropriate. It's also not really the best way to inspire others to help you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:13 AM

Now this is an Idea.
Hot chicks giving you programming lessons. [[Code Babes]]
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:21 PM

Yea, that's just what students these days need: more distractions in class.

Also, what about the female programmers? It's not all guys doing programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

Code Babes is an actual website. It's high school freshman humor. The fact that someone would go to the trouble of making such a website is actually disgusting.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:26 PM

I think I'm not surprised that this exists. But man, this is not what I was looking for when I said I wanted to see more women in programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:41 PM

Their videos are humorous for some reasons. :bigsmile:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:18 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 08 January 2012 - 05:51 PM, said:

Honestly, if someone developed a better solution to the TSP, etc., mostly people in academia would care. I think a lot of people familiar with the problem would think it's neat as well, but that's probably where it would end. The TSP is fun, but doesn't have a lot of widespread applications. Now let's flipside this and look at Facebook or Google's search engine. Neither of these are highly mathematical or scientific. However, both of these have really facilitated new industries and jobs. Same thing with mobile platforms and app markets. I'd say they have definitely changed the world. Look beyond curing cancer, and look more at the economics of things. Look at new jobs, new ways to make money, new ways for people to communicate. Sure, you might see a DFS implementation. But that's stretching it if you are going to put it on a pedestal b/c it's math related.

The TSP problem is NP Hard, and the cool thing about finding a polynomial time algorithm for TSP (or any NP Hard problem) is that if you can solve one you solve them all, and there's a lot of widespread application in the group of NP Hard problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NP-hard
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First