13 Replies - 41404 Views - Last Post: 25 May 2012 - 06:59 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

how to make a gui with c++

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:08 PM

hey well i am new to programing and i need some help how to make a program with a gui in c++

i have google it and i get this windows api and this window.h i don't know if that is what i need :(

i think window.h is a c libary and i am not to sure about windows api .

is there a website or book that can help or a tutorial and if you can please give me a link thank you :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: how to make a gui with c++

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: how to make a gui with c++

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:18 PM

If you mean buttons and stuff, that's a bit more complicated than what a beginner can play with. First of all, you have to realize that there isn't a single way to make a GUI in C++. In fact, C++ itself doesn't even support GUIs. The making of one is done via the usage of an external library. Which library to use? Personal choice. I use Qt4. Some use Gtk+. Others WxWidgets. Look them up. Though be prepared for some hard learning.

If you mean buttons and stuff, that's a bit more complicated than what a beginner can play with. First of all, you have to realize that there isn't a single way to make a GUI in C++. In fact, C++ itself doesn't even support GUIs. The making of one is done via the usage of an external library. Which library to use? Personal choice. I use Qt4. Some use Gtk+. Others WxWidgets. Look them up. Though be prepared for some hard learning.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:20 PM

windows.h is the main interface to the Win32 API(the modern windows OS API). we have many excellent tutorials on getting started with Win32 programing.

this tutorial seems to have received good reviews from the community.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

Google theForger. Also, if you don't know how to program, you should NOT jump right into GUI programming. You MUST have the basics down before trying to work with GUIs.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:17 PM

Thanks people :) for the help

also one last thing, is there any tutorials you would recommend for someone that is new to programing in c++ :)

Thanks alot :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Born again Pastafarian.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

I wrote a few introductory tutorials for the Windows API if you're interested.

1 2 3
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• </code.in.dream>

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:57 AM

Microsoft - Programming Windows API by Charles Petzold. A perfect book to study for Win32 API.

Try *link removed* for a torrent download or you can google for a direct link.

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 08 January 2012 - 11:00 AM
Reason for edit:: the link was to pirated content

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:07 PM

View PostFrankma5, on 07 January 2012 - 06:17 PM, said:

Thanks people :) for the help

also one last thing, is there any tutorials you would recommend for someone that is new to programing in c++ :)

Thanks alot :D

Better things may have come around since it's been a while, but these a the two that got me started, anyway. The structure and pace worked really well for me.

http://cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
http://www.cprogramm...+-tutorial.html

and then of course you have the tutorials section here on DIC, that's just more individual topics then a whole from the basics & up set of lessons.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:21 AM

Hey guy!, c++ is a good language (very good..) but realed GUI it is very flexible; most of programming language has their own libraries to make graphical interfaces, but c++ not. You can choose a framework (a set of libraries) that lent you create some nice stuff with code or with an assistant (and a little of code). I recommend you Qt (this is proprietary of Nokia) and is very solid; you can target your software with OS X, Windows & Linux. This is a good way to start...Qt Videotutorial Good Luck
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:58 AM

View PostFrankma5, on 07 January 2012 - 03:08 PM, said:

hey well i am new to programing and i need some help how to make a program with a gui in c++

i have google it and i get this windows api and this window.h i don't know if that is what i need :(

i think window.h is a c libary and i am not to sure about windows api .

is there a website or book that can help or a tutorial and if you can please give me a link thank you :)

Hello Frankma5, I would say the best solution in creating a GUI is to use a language that offers controls. The first language that comes to mind is C#. C# is fairly easy to learn and does not require the use of external libraries. Just drop controls on the form and bind them through programming. Although learning a whole new language does sound difficult, C# is definitely a language worth learning. Not only can you create GUI's in it, but it also offers data conversion easily.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:25 AM

Bit late, but why use c++ if there is no Gui Support?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:58 AM

@Dasttann777 - please don't hijack of threads. If you have a question post a new thread about it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

View PostToadill, on 15 January 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

Hello Frankma5, I would say the best solution in creating a GUI is to use a language that offers controls. The first language that comes to mind is C#. C# is fairly easy to learn and does not require the use of external libraries. Just drop controls on the form and bind them through programming. Although learning a whole new language does sound difficult, C# is definitely a language worth learning. Not only can you create GUI's in it, but it also offers data conversion easily.

C# doesn't come with GUI controls. It is the .NET Framework that provides the controls. It's like saying that C++ comes with console IO when it is actually the streams library that provides it. There is a difference between the language and the libraries that often come is the language. Think Javascript. Javascript hosted on a webpage has different IO options than Javascript hosted in a console application. It is still the same language, but with different IO capabilities.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 25 May 2012 - 06:58 AM, said:

@Dasttann777 - please don't hijack of threads. If you have a question post a new thread about it.

Very sorry, was not intentional.
Deep Apologies.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1