$900
8GB RAM
i7

TOSHIBA
$670
6GB RAM
i5

All prices include S&H + tax

I already bought the Toshiba one at a local Costco store so I can return it within 90 days. I'm having second thoughts. Costco has a lot more laptops to chose from on their website. Are they worth the extra money, or should I just stick with the decent Toshiba for now until Windows 8 comes out?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Which laptop?

• They don't think it be like it is, but it do
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Which laptop?

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:45 PM

The Toshiba seems the most affordable option to me - I have had toshibas in the past and they have done me very well. Its specs should see it through to Windows 8 and perhaps beyond (Windows 8 can reportedly run on only 512Mb of RAM) - Win8 also has more processor support. $670 is a good price range. I suggest you go with it unless you really need 8GB of ram and an i7. It should also be ample disk space.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:49 PM

I have a crush on Dells. Had HP before and the thing overheated a lot.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:14 PM

View PostjimmyBo, on 07 January 2012 - 05:45 PM, said:

The Toshiba seems the most affordable option to me - I have had toshibas in the past and they have done me very well. Its specs should see it through to Windows 8 and perhaps beyond (Windows 8 can reportedly run on only 512Mb of RAM) - Win8 also has more processor support. $670 is a good price range. I suggest you go with it unless you really need 8GB of ram and an i7. It should also be ample disk space.

This is my 3rd Toshiba and the previous ones served me well too (it was my fault they broke).

The things I really care about right now are 17.3" screen (it's my first screen this size and I love it), decent speakers and good customer service. Since I'm buying from Costco, they extend the manufacturer's warranty to 2 years so I have to rely on that. I had good experience with Toshiba's CS before. RAM is easy to upgrade and I probably don't need anything better than an i5 processor. But I'm wondering if the better specs are worth the extra $200.

Or maybe I should just return this one, get something even cheaper like this Toshibaand wait until Windows 8...

Okay - I was feeling bad about returning this laptop since Costco is so nice but now I found a defect on it so I'll have to return it. The laptop makes a super annoying screeching noise (coming from the screen itself) when I dim the display all the way down.

This post has been edited by carnivroar: 07 January 2012 - 09:38 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:40 PM

The Dell and HP are so similar I'd go with the Dell just because it's cheaper and has a much more useful range of I/O ports.

i7's are the shit. I like my hardware to be futureproof to a decent extent, it saves me money upgrading later.

This post has been edited by negligible: 07 January 2012 - 09:43 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:52 PM

View Postnegligible, on 07 January 2012 - 09:40 PM, said:

The Dell and HP are so similar I'd go with the Dell just because it's cheaper and has a much more useful range of I/O ports.

i7's are the shit. I like my hardware to be futureproof to a decent extent, it saves me money upgrading later.

There's also this one here from Dell for the same price. Only difference is that it has blu ray player + Microsoft Office but i5 instead of i7.

And like I said, I'm gonna have to return this Toshiba one since it's defective so now I really have to chose a new one..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1