• (2 Pages)
  • +

28 Replies - 25623 Views - Last Post: 26 January 2012 - 12:30 PM

• Critical Section
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Q&A With the Experts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:33 AM

Hi and thanks for putting this thread alive again, it has been a long time since we have the last Q/A threads. Also it it nice to see new experts in the list which were not in previous threads.
Now I have the following questions:

@All:
1. I am a student and I would like to know from you what ways you used when you were students to thicken your programming skills. How were you involved in real-life development like get an inter-ship or participating in some works done by real software dev companies? Also if you have been in any online works which you think was useful, and you would like to advice us, newbies,(may be a site with real online dev) which we can benefit when participating.

@ pbl, macosxnerd101, jon.kiparsky, Dogstopper, KYA, Programmist, baavgai, cfoley:(Java related)
2. Most of you guys have done a lot of Java projects and participating in many java related discussions, what unique way which you used your self to master Java? I mean when studying Java, what things you gave priorities(or ways you used- which you think were different from others) till now we are proud of you?

3. We have a version change after every time, now Java 7 and we are moving to 8... and in every new version we have some changes in API which means some old code wont be supported. What do you advice us, new programmers, to do so to reduce the negative effect of those changes to our code?

@ AdamSpeight2008, Curtis Rutland, tlhIn`toq, modi123_1, CodingSup3rnatur@l-360, baavgai: (.NET related)
4. You have done a lot of .net projects and being in .net industry for a time now, what specific topics or knowledge from .net advanced learning someone need after finishing his degree(or any) so he can be hired and do well in .net industry?

5. What is your advice for .net languages learners(VB & C#) in order to improve their knowledge? Like if you can give us ways which you used to be that much...

@skyhawk133:
6. Everyone appreciate the truth that DIC has become among the most world-wide known online community. Can you tell us what way you used to advertise it at the time of starting it? Also what way do you think we can use to advertise our software(desktop apps) so people can use,test and comment them for better improvement?

Thanks to everyone and sorry for long post ;)

This post has been edited by smohd: 10 January 2012 - 10:40 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:41 AM

@stayscrisp, SixOfEleven, cfoley and ButchDean.

Game and scientific programming are areas that interest me as they tend to require a lot of original thinking and problem solving, keeping you thinking about what you are doing with each iteration. What was it that attracted you to these fields initially, what is it that keeps you there, and what one thing makes you want to throw out your computer? and what would you do untethered to your IDEs and compilers? :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:44 PM

@All:

In your corner of the industry, what differentiates an experienced programmer/hobbies from a professional?

Also, targetted at SixOfEleven, pbl and the rest of you that have been "in the real world" for a fair time, what kind of things should we do alongside university to make it more useful? I currently freelance as a website developer but I also try to have programming projects, but all I can ever think of are things that do not really push boundaries or anything!

This post has been edited by Shane Hudson: 10 January 2012 - 02:03 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:59 PM

@all:

sense your started programing, what has been your favorite project, personal or work related.

@butchdean:
while I'm not terribly interested in pursuing game development as a career It seems like every kid I talk to wants to be a game developer even though they don't have a clue what that means. dose collage tend to weed out the riff-raff or is there some other distinguishing factor that employers have to look for? Is the market flooded with game developers or do most simply not make it(or maybe demand is high enough to support them)?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#20 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:33 PM

Don't forget that there are only 11 days left for the Q&A! Make sure to get your questions in before then! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:58 PM

@all

Are you guys participating/used to participate at open source projects? Why did you do it/are doing it? - sense of achievement, getting better at programming, boredom?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#22 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:19 AM

There are only two days left to get your questions answered! Make sure to get your questions in by Friday!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:03 PM

@all:

1. What has been your favorite project during your career? Why was it your favorite? Was it an easy or hard project to do?

2. What is your opinion in regards to the authenticity of the Tiobe index? Is it a reliable source to use to determine which language is the most used/popular?

-preb
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:42 PM

@SixOfEleven, stayscrisp

I'm a CS graduate who is a programmer analyst at a local community college and I make games on the side. My goal is to get into the game industry but I find it very difficult to find any "Entry-level" programming jobs. It seems as if every programming job description I come across require 5-10 years experience with 1-3 AAA titles shipped.
  • Is there any trick to making myself more marketable to an employer, beside including my meager (at least in my eyes) personal projects in my CV/Resume?
  • Should I look for an open-source game/engine to contribute to?
  • Do employers care about those projects that are not "professional" (i.e. personal projects)?

Thanks guys!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#25 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:26 AM

Tomorrow is the last day to ask your question! Make sure you get your questions in by the end of the day tomorrow!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:08 AM

@All:

Do you find that you are happy with your line of work? If you could change to some other (realistic) line of work, would you?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding Dynamo
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:34 AM

@All:

What would be the most important 10 job interview questions and answers someone would need to know?
At what age did you seriously get into programming?
How much have you learned after your first professional employment?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:27 PM

Here are some more questions I just thought of:

@macosxnerd101, Dogstopper, Programmist, pbl, and jon.kiparsky:

1. What do you think is the greatest strength and weakness the java programming language has compared to other languages?

2. What do you think is the greatest strength and weakness the java programming language has compared to C# specifically? What are the possible weaknesses of the language compared to C#?

@Curtis Rutland, modi123_1, tlhIn`toq, baavgai, and CodingSup3rnatur@l-360:

1. What do you think is the greatest strength and weakness the .Net programming languages have compared to other languages in general?

2. What do you think is the greatest strength and weakness C# has compared to other languages in general?

3. What do you think is the greatest strength and weakness C# has compared to java specifically?

@all:
How do you guys use your programming languages for your company?

-preb
Edit:
@Ryano
I guess you're right about the ones concerning availability in the marketplace. I'll delete those then.

The others though I don't remember being answered.

This post has been edited by preb: 26 January 2012 - 12:38 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:30 PM

@preb

Haven't most of those questions been answered before at some point?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +