7 Replies - 11113 Views - Last Post: 11 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Any of you planning on doing any Kinect for Win Dev?

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:28 PM

Microsoft announced a Kinect for Windows will be available next month. Toms Hardware - Kinect For Windows

Heres a link to the old Kinect SDK. I'm not sure if a new SDK will be needed for the Windows Kinect version
It interests me, however, I rarely program outside of work.

I'm curious to see how many of you guys plan on doing any sort of Kinect Dev? If you are, do you already have project ideas?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Any of you planning on doing any Kinect for Win Dev?

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Any of you planning on doing any Kinect for Win Dev?

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:05 PM

Forgive my ignorance but what is it?

The article says "Kinect will be available for PC" blah blah blah... But what is it? What does it do?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:10 PM

Basically an XBox360 peripheral input device is being ported to PC.

Kinect, originally known by the code name Project Natal is a motion sensing input device by Microsoft for the Xbox 360 video game console. Based around a webcam-style add-on peripheral for the Xbox 360 console, it enables users to control and interact with the Xbox 360 without the need to touch a game controller, through a natural user interface using gestures and spoken commands.

Kinect - Wikipedia
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:26 PM

Thanks for the link. Sounds like a cool device for the right industry like games.

I guess for PC's it could be ported to some needs, like security. But I don't see a lot of niches for it on PC other than those two. Then again, once someone has a tool there are often many unexpected ways it gets used.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:32 PM

The write up says that the device (and software presumably) includes capacities for facial, voice and gestural recognition. As long as there is a way of using that from within the .NET framework without every developer having to become an expert in facial recognition it could be cool.

I can imagine having one on an executive's computer (or payroll/HR system) (or medical records) as advanced bio-recognition. Combine face, voice, fingerprint and password for very secure PC access.

But for that the programmer needs to be able to easily record and database one set of characteristic for a user and compare them at read-time to the user gaining access - without having to go through a degree program in image detection and wave-form analysis.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 10 January 2012 - 05:32 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:39 PM

Netflix for Xbox started supporting gesture & voice control through the Kinect about a month ago.

I don't see how it could realistically be a primary source of input in any windows application. But I think there may be some concepts that would be cool or at least entertaining :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• They don't think it be like it is, but it do
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:49 PM

I did see an article on a show once about how somebody had written a program to control the windows cursor with the Kinect sensor. It was interesting, but I don't see how you would want to have to wave your hands around in front of a sensor to control a screen. I prefer either touch input or a trackpad. However, I'm interested to see what developments are made in the future.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

Didn't any of you ever see that movie with Michael Douglas and Demi Moore from ten (or 15?) years ago? She becomes his boss, she's also his old girlfriend, she gets cross with him for not .... then they try and fire him then she tries to sabotage the manufacturing process in Singapore?

The technology that the company was developing that they worked for was a Kinect like interface.
Put a glove on your hand, stand in front of a giant screen, wave it around and you can sort and view every available file on the file server, or something like that.

The i/o vehicle becomes a motion of your finger or hand (someday maybe a wink, a smirk, a frown). Stick a microchip up your arse, and then every little tiny sensor with line of sight is capturing, analyzing, and storing data. George Orwell anyone? Am I the only one in this place with grey hair?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1