8 Replies - 1282 Views - Last Post: 17 January 2012 - 10:23 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Do you program outside of w*rk?

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

Before getting my first full time programming position I would code/design websites or various programs that would aid in stuff like online poker, darts and what not.

I've been working at my current job for nearly 3 years. I'm lucky to say I only put in 40 hours week. I'd say 30-35 hours of that is coding/researching production code. 5 hours for testing and 5 in emails/documentation. By the end of the day I just don't have the drive to code.

I'd like to expand my programming knowledge by learning things that I wouldn't come across at work, like ASP.NET, C#, or study design patterns more. I just can't find the time.

How much time do you spend out of the office coding? What's your typical code/test/paperwork ratio at your FT job? Outside of work, are you developing tools for various interests, working on open source, or do you code for pay?

This post has been edited by xnn: 10 January 2012 - 04:45 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Do you program outside of w*rk?

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Do you program outside of w*rk?

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:55 PM

Personally I think this is not a question unique to programmers.

The same could be asked of photographers. Wedding photographers only do a certain style of photography that is less than challenging or creative but pays the bills. I'm sure some do other work for pay, other work for their personal satisfaction, play with other technology that doesn't get used for work: Astro-photography or safari photography or underwater photography.

Paperwork ratio? Really? Ask that of 100 companies and you'll get 100 different answers. I'm sure there are no standards to such things. My paperwork for example is an email sent once a week as a progress report of what I worked on, and comp-time earned report at the end of each month: I work 50 hours a week, banking 10hrs/week to comp-time. Generally taking off Nov & Dec each year. Other than that I have no paperwork.

Time spent off the clock coding:
More than my wife would like. But I feel it is important to keep up on current/future technologies so I can remain a viable/desirable job applicant. Not that I expect to be looking for work. But you don't wait for a company to fold *then* start brushing up on new things. That's just part of the price if you want to lead.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:59 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 10 January 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

Paperwork ratio? Really?

My motive for asking coding/testing/paperwork ratio was too see if people who do less coding and more testing/paperwork are more prone to code outside of work. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:23 PM

My paper work consists on a simple summary of progress and plans to next working day about 2 minutes before i leave work. the rest of my 40 hour week is spent coding & testing something, be it vb.net programs html, php, or javascripting.

I always enjoy coding something for personal use outside of work, usually working on something I haven't done before or don't do often. I really enjoy coding and thats kinda why i took the job in the IT field in the first place
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:21 AM

I'm still in school but have a "co-op/internship/job". I program when I am at home, as of late I've been creating class projects in python and perl for my independent instruction course this upcoming semester. I'll be creating a course that covers python and perl (just a little bit of perl unless the school drops that idea). But I also program non-school related things in my free time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:05 PM

Yes, I definitely code outside of work. I have a lot of personal projects that I and some others deem important enough that I can't abandon them. Furthermore, I enjoy coding outside of work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:41 AM

If you love programming, it isn't 'work'.

I put in 5 hours 'learning time' per week at work, who allow me 5 hrs per week for such things. I also put in at least 5 hours per week out of work, programming. I am studying a Java course via distance learning at the moment so it is usually a bit more than just 10 extra hours.

This post has been edited by wordswords: 12 January 2012 - 09:41 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Catch me As Exception
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:42 AM

of course! Its actually more interesting to work on your personal projects. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:23 AM

View PostnK0de, on 15 January 2012 - 08:42 AM, said:

of course! Its actually more interesting to work on your personal projects. :)

ain't that the tooth.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1