TEXT BASED ONLINE BROWSER GAMES

PLEASE!!! ARE THERE SOMEONE WHO CAN LEARN ME STEP BY STEP

Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 2484 Views - Last Post: 19 April 2007 - 04:05 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

TEXT BASED ONLINE BROWSER GAMES

Post icon  Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:53 PM

Please ., are there someone who can learn me how to make a text based online browser game , step by step . , ?? Some PROFS??
Someone who can be a Master / Teacher ??

From Vidthdyan ...!!! :crazy:
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: TEXT BASED ONLINE BROWSER GAMES

• Barbarbar
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: TEXT BASED ONLINE BROWSER GAMES

Posted 09 April 2007 - 04:17 PM

Your best bet is to pick a 'web' language and start learning it. The most commonly recommended is PHP, although Perl is used too(and I've heard about Python and Ruby, although never for browsergames).

Once you've figured out how to use the language of your choice, you want to start researching databases. You're going to want to find a database that will work for you, and learn how to couple your preferred language with the database that you choose.

Before you actually release anything, make sure to read up on security: things like XSS, MySQL injection, and post-spoofing are all things you should worry about.

Good Luck!
Girasquid
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:23 PM

Message me On msn

Cubs1990@ Hotmail.com i would teach You alot thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:05 PM

I know you're talking about a browser game...but back when i was in high school in the late 90's i used to write text based games in BASIC. I upgraded a full game to Visual Basic 6, and then again converted that to ASP. I tried looking for the cd that had the information but...grrr it eludes me.

But just to point a few things out, and i must admit i'm a bit rusty...you would do something like this.

You will have x,y,z coordinates, or a grid if you want to refer to it that way. Each "room" or 'area' you're in while playing the game has coordinates. If you go up stairs, the Z coordinate will increase, and if you go down stairs it will decrease (or if you hop in a vehicle and fly, submerge, whatever).

I always had random tables stored in text files, but you can use access and/or sql to hold all the data for monsters, character statistics, room loot (ie, items in a room, treasure chests, etc), and mob loot tables (mob = mobile monster...basically all the little critters roaming around the world...loot refers to what items and money they drop, etc).

It's actually a very simple concept and not too hard to pull off, but you do need to understand what y ou're doing. looking at my code years later, i realized what a newbie programmer i was when i first made mine. haha.

cheers, and good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1