5 Replies - 1474 Views - Last Post: 15 January 2012 - 07:17 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Server choice

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:14 PM

Pretty straight forward question really. I am not that familiar with all these web host and options, I tend to go with the flow. When I started developing websites, I would host it on a site which uses cpanel and it used to cost like 30 a year. Lately, a lot of my clients have a linux server which uses plesk, and its like 50 a month. I know the plesk server can hold up to 10 domains, but besides this, why would I pay 50 a month instead of 30 a year? In my mind, they are both capable of hosting my websites in the way I intended them to be hosted.

Nick

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Server choice

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Server choice

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:50 PM

I missed the question in there.. are you asking for a choice between two services or are you asking for hosting recommendations in general?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:20 AM

Really, just looking for information regarding the differences between the two types I have explained. I have had both in the past, and if the 50 a month one did have any special benefits, I never made use of them.

So in essense, its a question of why pay 50 a month for a "virtuozzo powered, fully managed linux VPS" instead of 30 a year for web hosting on a site like free virtual servers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:53 AM

As with most services it comes down to reliability (or uptime), consistent resources, and it has the room for expansion. See my hosting is only about $20 a year.. it's big enough for me to screw with, good band-with, and has just enough room to let me maneuver. The next price up then goes monthly.. which I am not caring too much to go for.

I would have to know more of this side by side comparison of services to make a better guess. Hell sometimes companies just buy shit because they were taken out to lunch by a rep or use the old adage "if it costs more it *MUST* be better".
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#5 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:04 PM

It's possible too that a company may not want a ton of web clients so they charge more hoping to get smaller numbers, but not so much more that they don't get business at all.

We're in talks now with merging services from two previous hosting clients.

The one didn't think we knew what we were doing because our charge was so low, to the point that they came on site to view the equipment. Their previous web host & developer really took them for a ride.

The 2nd was a similar story. They were about to turn their website off because they can't afford $300 a month for a website.

Overall a company can sell a service for what they can get for it. Not necessarily what it is worth. Also one thing that I've learned for being in business for myself for a fee year now is that you never use price as your selling factor. Being cheaper is a difficult thing to do, because company b can always undercut you. & if you cater to price rather than needs, your customers are always going to be needy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:17 PM

Sometimes it's a matter of convenience. Most people would be able to work far faster in cPanel than say plain shell, so they opt for a service that has that control panel for speed reasons. Really it all depends on what level of service and convenience you want.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1