• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

53 Replies - 5580 Views - Last Post: 19 January 2012 - 12:25 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

A request to the community regarding Facebook and SOPA

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:21 PM

When the gaming site Destructoid announced it would be part of the planned blackout in opposition to SOPA/PIPA, it got me looking around to see what other sites would be joining in. Seeing which ones had already confirmed their part in it, I realized one of the sites with the biggest potential to grab the average person's attention and make a point was nowhere to be found. With intertwined Facebook has become in in people's lives, the social networking site may be the best ally we could have among the sites choosing to blackout on the 18th. This so far, however, seems unlikely. While this likely won't succeed, I would to add more on to the list of places receiving emails from the Destructoid community. If you oppose SOPA/PIPA, please join in contacting Facebook in any way you can to request they join the blackout, and spread this around to increase our numbers and chance. They are one of the biggest sites out there, and that much harder to sway, but no more then other places that have been targeted for emails on the subject. I believe it should at least be tried.

Looking it seems Facebook doesn't exactly make itself easy to contact, so I'm linking to the their feedback page along with a blog listing various contact methods. I'm not exactly a frequent visitor to the site, so if any one more knowledgeable on it's working is aware of a better way, please do let every one know.

http://www.facebook....lp/suggestions/

http://www.marismith...ctory-of-forms/

If you oppose SOPA & PIPA, then please try and help bring one more big site into up the upcoming blackout!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: A request to the community regarding Facebook and SOPA

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: A request to the community regarding Facebook and SOPA

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:38 AM

I'm not sure how apt they will be to shutting down for the day. Biggest issue is, they can't make money if they aren't online. With a company like facebook money is a huge factor. Great idea, but I think that it's going to be darn near impossible to convince facebook to turn off their cash flow for the day.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding Dynamo
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:06 AM

They won't shut down, because it doesn't pay off to shut down for a day, also Facebook doesn't have any issues (as far as I know) with SOPA, therefore it has no reason to shut down. They are probably going just to ignore any requests made, pointless cause and goal.

But as far as SOPA is concerned, I would it's creator to rot in Hell spend a night with gabehabe in a 5x5 room...

This post has been edited by RexGrammer: 14 January 2012 - 06:07 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:26 AM

Reddit's blacking out on the 18th in protest to SOPA.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:40 AM

What do you guys think of this as a letter to a legislator regarding PIPA (the Senate version of the act)? I'm concerned that the last sentence which might be a bit of a stretch. Any suggestions?

I'm writing to ask you to vote against PIPA.

Regardless of how you feel about "intellectual property" in general, this bill, which has the potential to stifle the free exchange of ideas among the millions of internet users for the dubious benefit of assisting the few multi-millionaires of RIAA and MPAA to more easily enforce their monopolies, is ill-advised at best. RIAA and MPAA already have adequate remedies in law to protect their interests. There is no reason to shift their burden of defending their property rights onto the backs of the operators of the internet, while potentially crippling the internet to the detriment of its hundreds of millions of legitimate users. Holding blogs, forums, search engines and ISPs responsible for the misdeeds of some of the users of their infrastructure would be tantamount to holding the government liable for "permitting" criminals to use the interstate highways.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:58 PM

I like how websites think blacking out for a day does anything other than upset or annoy the people that use their site. Do you really think that anyone voting on this bill is paying attention to sites like reddit going down for a day? And shutting down facebook wouldn't do anything to make people aware of SOPA. The average user of facebook doesn't care about SOPA.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:05 PM

Most of the people voting on these bills never heard of Reddit. Facebook is already on record in opposition to SOPA and PIPA. Don't you think it would be more productive for Facebook to try to inform its users about why they should be contacting their legislators to oppose these bills, rather than pissing them off by shutting down for a day?

If you think you might get enough people to influence Facebook to shut down, don't you think that many people could have an impact on their senators and representatives?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:35 PM

View PostRexGrammer, on 14 January 2012 - 01:06 PM, said:

They won't shut down, because it doesn't pay off to shut down for a day, also Facebook doesn't have any issues (as far as I know) with SOPA, therefore it has no reason to shut down. They are probably going just to ignore any requests made, pointless cause and goal.

But as far as SOPA is concerned, I would it's creator to rot in Hell spend a night with gabehabe in a 5x5 room...

I believe it would affect Facebook because one of their users can upload copyrighted material and get Facebook shut down, unless they're one of those sites exempt from this. They still are not going to turn off their site for a whole day. That's a LOT of money lost. And if their advertisers aren't paying per click, they are going to be rather mad.

I am actually rather worried about the lack of internet on the 18th. It's not like I can just walk away for a WHOLE day. At least I'll have Facebook, and other unmentionables (hopefully).

This post has been edited by creativecoding: 14 January 2012 - 08:39 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:27 AM

As long as I still have my pr0nz on the 18th all is well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:23 PM

If more big time developers and publishers protested it would probably have a better effect. The publics reaction to infinity ward and activision saying something that hints at the end of CoD would cause an uproar.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:34 PM

View PostNykc, on 15 January 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

As long as I still have my pr0nz on the 18th all is well.

It's a possibility that your favorite site will be down.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:52 PM

meh, I have a surplus of stuff I've yet to watch all nicely encrypted on my hard drive.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:20 PM

Fuck....

Thank god I have a nice offline archive
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:09 PM

Simplified answer, SOPA sucks and is made by people who arent being affected by it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:15 PM

..But annoying users of these sites are the point, it catches the attention of people and lets them know about SOPA. The problem is, all of us already know, so we're just going to be plain annoyed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »