14 Replies - 11997 Views - Last Post: 08 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

So why do you love Objective-C ?

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:54 PM

@thepersonia

I've heard a plethora of things about Objective-C. I am having discussion with two people about this. I'll admit, I am not well versed in Objective-C and am willing to learn. I currently do not have an opinion about Objective-C, I am eager to learn! Some say they love it, some vice versa. What makes you love it? What makes you hate it?

That's the question I have for you!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: So why do you love Objective-C ?

#2 CTphpnwb  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Re: So why do you love Objective-C ?

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:13 AM

Because I don't spend enough time in it Objective C feels strange compared to C/C++ and PHP. For example, function calls seem odd when you're used to function_name(variables). That said, I think the big advantage is the frameworks available when developing for the Mac or iOS. The more you know them, the more you can do with little effort. I need to get to know them better. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:26 AM

Thanks, CTphpnwb! I truly appreciate your contribution. Do you think it helps for Objective-C to not follow convention? That is normal for Apple lol :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 CTphpnwb  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:05 PM

Thinking differently requires that you force yourself to at least examine alternative methods. Some work out and some don't, but you never know until you try. Objective-C seems to have worked out well. Apple uses it for most of their development, and they seem to be more productive than their competitors. Maybe that's not attributable to Obj C, but it sure seems to have some impact.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:15 PM

That's sounds great, CTphpnwb! True, one can't just say it's all because of Objective-C - It's also the people.

Can one really develop anything in Objective-C?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 CTphpnwb  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:27 PM

Anything? I would say anything you can develop for a Mac or an iPhone/iPad, so yes, pretty much anything.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

What exactly is 'anything' for Mac, iPhone/iPad ?

So how pretty much anything?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 CTphpnwb  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:04 AM

Well, everything that's ever been developed for the Mac, iPhone or iPad, plus things that have not yet been thought of! In the case of the Mac, pretty much everything that's ever been done on any computer system has at least one similar version on the Mac. The iPhone and iPad likely have things that haven't been done on other platforms simply because they're relatively unique devices with much more software than their competitors.

I guess the answer is that if it can be done on a computer it can be done with Objective C, just as it can with any other version of C. It's just a matter of skill and effort.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:12 AM

Well "Everything" is a bit of a misnomer.

Objective C is the underlying language that is run on Mac, and idevices. However, you must couple this with the Cocoa framework in order to take full advantage of Apple's modular technology. I'm sure Microsoft's C# is similar when you run it in VS.

Why do I like to use it? I have just started recently and am looking forward to continuing. I generally like to use it because the devices are sleek and typically sport some really nice features. Icloud is something I'm really digging and I love the fact that anything I buy from apple is ALWAYS available to me.

I like the Mac OS X because it is UNIX based. I learned Linux first, but transitioning to Mac OS X was a piece of cake.

This doesn't mean I shun other forms of technology such as Java, PHP, etc.

It just means I have decided to work in the apple world for awhile.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:03 AM

What about double-coding between Microsoft and Unix/Linux?

What sort of features do these devices sport?

By stating that your transition to Mac OS X was a piece of cake, are you implying that you're referring to the UI or the technical aspects? If so, what specifically?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:20 AM

Double coding? Do you mean writing Objective-C in a Windows environment? I'm not sure if there is a compiler for Objective-C on windows.

I do know you can use GCC/Clang on Linux/Unix if your not using any Cocoa libraries.

The devices? Oh just simple stuff like retina display, iCloud integration, photo stream. stuff like that. I know google now has this on their devices.

by piece of cake I meant that the UI is simple enough for basic tasks (except burning a dvd, has to do some digging for that feature) but that it has a BASH shell and has many GNU programs. In other words, if you are used to using a Linux or Unix system. The transition to Mac OS X (I do specify X because prior to this Mac OS was a whole other animal).

Also, because Macs are intel based now (something that has really turned me onto them) you can run MS software on them. If you want to run Windows and Mac OS X, buy VMware Fusion and go to town.

I also just generally enjoy the quality of the hardware you get from apple and I mean in the design, not in the manufacturing as that is sub-contracted to Foxconn regardless of who you are buying from unless you decide to build your own system.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:36 AM

I kind-of meant that. Being able to write a program in one code distribute to both OS'.

The features taht you adore in apple aren't really unique and new. They're been around for a while and companies didn't exactly release them because they didn't see a market for them. Apple's 'latest technology' is old technology revamped. Even Retina Display is by Sharp - the inventors of four-colour TVs (red, blue, green and yellow).

One cannot create a simple internet shortcut in Mac. I reckon there was potential in their previous PowerPC chips, it possibly isn't too late if time, finance and effort was invested in them.

What's wrong with Command Prompt and PowerShell?

The quality of hardware is pretty good, though can be better.

By no-means am I despising Apple and/or your views, but am merely pointing things out and bringing a new perspective to the table and exploring this discussion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:17 AM

I haven't used powershell,though given the fact that MS is abandoning vb script, I better get on board unless I want to be coding in batch for simple windows tasks. I'm not a C# person either.

I know Apple gets a lot of hate for taking existing technologies, re-packaging them and using marketing to bring them to wide scale notice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 GWatt  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:03 AM

View PostElihu5991, on 07 May 2012 - 05:36 AM, said:

One cannot create a simple internet shortcut in Mac. I reckon there was potential in their previous PowerPC chips, it possibly isn't too late if time, finance and effort was invested in them.

What?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

One cannot create a simple internet shortcut in Mac.

do you mean a shortcut that opens a web page? that's just an html file and a file type association of .html with your browser...mac does that just fine

in any webpage just go to 'File' -> 'Save As' then save it to your desktop and make sure your OS associates .html files with your browser and voila, you have an "internet shortcut"

those steps apply to pretty much any modern OS and browser combination.

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 08 May 2012 - 07:28 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1