LASIK surgery - have you ever thought of having it (or have had it)

• (2 Pages)
  • +

20 Replies - 4570 Views - Last Post: 17 January 2012 - 08:28 AM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

LASIK surgery - have you ever thought of having it (or have had it)

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:07 AM

My eyesight was very good until I was 15 when I gradually started to notice that I could not read the registration plates of cars at a distance not very far away. I had my eyesight checked and I had a cylindrical number of 0.5 in both eyes, which was not very significant.

Lately I started to notice that my vision is becoming very dull. I had my eyesight checked again and holy crap. I have a cylindrical number of 1.25 in both of my eyes. It fallen from 0.5 to 1.25 in just a little more than two years.

I have to wear glasses which I hate. I don't wear them because I don't really need them unless I am at the absolute back of the class. Still, I hate to know that I can't see 6/6 without these glasses.

I am thinking of having LASIK surgery (I'm not yet 18, I'll have it at 19 or something). Has anyone of you ever had LASIK? If yes, are you completely satisfied with it? I have read a long list of complications of LASIK surgery and they can result in poor quality of life afterwards. How can you so easily take that risk with your eyesight? Would you recommend it for a person like me (who's number is still not very significant)?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: LASIK surgery - have you ever thought of having it (or have had it)

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: LASIK surgery - have you ever thought of having it (or have had it)

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:42 AM

I wore glassed through-out my teens. LASIK just wasn't available/affordable to me then.
I had it done at around 22 and have NEVER regretted it. The absolute best thing I could have done.

Keep in mind that doesn't keep your eyes perfect forever. Around your 40's the human eye starts becoming stiff and doesn't flex which is part of how we shift focus from near to far. That's why you start seeing people having to 'play trombone' to focus on smaller type as they get older.

I'm now 46. My focal range is good at 6 feet to 500 feet. But I have to admit I now use non-prescription reading magnifiers for things like small type on packaging (4-6 point typesize). But most important to me is I don't need glasses for computer, photographer, shooting, driving... all my everyday activity.

Both my second and third wives had LASIK done (yes I've been married 3 times). Both had wonderful results and were thrilled. LASIK is so expensive in Australia that my current wife was able to travel to the USA, get LASIK, have a 3 day cruise, do her follow-up visit, bringing her daughter with her, and still have money left in her pocket.

If you are in a smaller community go to the big city for it. I'd rather have someone who does 500/month than 500/year do that sort of thing to me. They have more experience and latest equipment. Small town doctors buy the older gear from the big city docs when they upgrade.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:05 PM

I started wearing glasses in the 6th grade so at a very young age. Lasik didn't exist back then. When it came into existence, I briefly looked into it but didn't dive in too deeply due to concerns. Over the years, it has progressed and I feel much more comfortable with it and would gladly do it now. However a few years back, I was told to wait till my eyes stabilize before proceeding with the procedure. They said as long as your eyes are still changing, doing Lasik now would just have it change on you sooner. It was recommended that I wait till my eyes stop changing and to do it in my early 30s. So I'm still waiting on that. I'll probably end up doing it in a few years.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:52 PM

I've been wearing glasses since I was 9(I'm 17 now) and I have to say that I enjoy doing so.

I've tried contacts after a few years of wearing glasses, and apparently my brain was so trained to having the little frames around my eyes that when I tried to walk around for an extended time without them I would get insane migraines and would have to take my contacts out and put my glasses back on to make them go away.

So, Lasik probably isn't an option for me if I don't want to get crazy bad migraines.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

I have terrible vision, my numbers are 4.5 in my left eye and 4.75 in my right. I am definitely going to get LASIK as soon as I can. My mom had it done and while her vision isn't perfect (she has trouble focusing on things like small digital clock digits and such) she says it's much better than back when she had glasses.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:43 PM

About 20 years ago I worked with a guy that started with vision of 20:800 {not a typo}
He had one procedure that took him to 20:80 - which he thought was great. He had to heal for a year from that. Then had a second procedure done which took him to 20:20 !

Hard to argue with those results.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:10 PM

I think I'll just stick with my glasses, these I can replace.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

My numbers are around -7.00 in both eyes (with astigmatism correction and all). i'm well within the correctable age, although with vision my bad there is a minor chance that i'll get some blurred peripheral at night (has to do with pupils dilating beyond the correction or something). but i absolutely plan on getting it done, in fact it's next on my list of things I'm saving for (after my ducati...:D, because the gas savings from the bike will facilitate faster saving...)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:15 PM

View Posth4nnib4l, on 15 January 2012 - 08:46 PM, said:

I'm saving for (after my ducati...:D, because the gas savings from the bike will facilitate faster saving...)

The logic for this one always stuns me: Spend thousands to save hundreds AT MOST. Look, I'm all for going green but math is simple.

In this example:
Fuel guzzler: My Dodge Ram 2500, 6.7L Cummings turbo diesel. 17mpg.
Fuel saver : Some motorcycle or modern 40mpg Mustang or similar.

Assumption: Average driving of 1200 miles a month.
Guzzler: 70.6 gallons @ 3.70 = $261.22 * 12months = 3134.64 US$/year
Saver  : 30.0 gallons @ 3.70 = $111.00 * 12months = 1332.00 US$/year
Savings:                                            1802.00 US$/year

But wait... What did the Saver cost you?
Ducati on Ebay: Buy It now for about $5,000
Plus sales tax in your State: various.
For the purpose of conversation it wouldn't be too far off to say that it will take the first 3 years of ownership to just break even. If you buy a new vehicle at closer to $25,000 then it will take you 5 times longer to just break even; or about 15 years.

Plus none of these calculations take into account the first $1,000+ in safety gear: Helmet, boots, bike jacket with Kevlar armadillo spine.

But then... Motorcycles aren't more green than cars because of the lack of emission controls. The first thought is that less fuel burn means less pollution, but that's not the case. The lack of pollution controls and higher-end fuel burn techniques actually causes bikes to put a LOT more pollution in the air than a car.
http://motorcycles.a...e-than-cars.htm
http://news.discover...ent-110928.html

If you buy the bike as a second vehicle, then the $1800/year saved on gas will be negated against the additional insurance premiums.

If you want the bike because they are just plain fun and FUN and cool... Be honest about it. But don't fool yourself into thinking it will save you anything. I've had them since I was 20. Even after a head-on by a drunk I still rode them. So I'm not against them one bit!

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 15 January 2012 - 08:17 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:17 PM

of COURSE i'm getting a motorcycle for fun. that's the only reason to get one. but under the circumstances, it will generate some savings, and certainly more than the lasik will under the respective timeframes for saving the money, so it is the logical choice to go first. if i'm buying it anyway, then for all intents and purposes it is already a sunk cost, so my monthly savings in gas (added to what i could afford to save for lasik anyway) means that i will get lasik a little more quickly. that's all i was saying man. i'm getting the bike first because i want it more, but in my situation i feel like it makes more sense to get the first first because the faster i start saving ANYTHING on gas, the faster i'm... saving money on gas...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:20 PM

I've been in glasses since 5. I have a consultation on February 14th to see if my eyes have stabilized enough to get LASEK (the E is intentional).

For those curious about the difference:
Spoiler

I think it would be life changing for me, and I'm very hopeful for a positive consultation. I've already budgeted the money in case it works out.

This post has been edited by xclite: 15 January 2012 - 10:21 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:31 AM

View PostZOMBIE!!!, on 15 January 2012 - 05:35 PM, said:

I have terrible vision, my numbers are 4.5 in my left eye and 4.75 in my right. I am definitely going to get LASIK as soon as I can. My mom had it done and while her vision isn't perfect (she has trouble focusing on things like small digital clock digits and such) she says it's much better than back when she had glasses.

I'm closer to the -7 range and can't even see the big E without my glasses or contacts. And it's still getting worse. I feel you.

View Posth4nnib4l, on 15 January 2012 - 07:46 PM, said:

My numbers are around -7.00 in both eyes (with astigmatism correction and all).

Me too! Except my eyes are still changing (for the worse) and still waiting to pass 30. With with glasses, my eyes are incredibly sharp at least.

View Postxclite, on 15 January 2012 - 10:20 PM, said:

I've been in glasses since 5. I have a consultation on February 14th to see if my eyes have stabilized enough to get LASEK (the E is intentional).

For those curious about the difference:
Spoiler

I think it would be life changing for me, and I'm very hopeful for a positive consultation. I've already budgeted the money in case it works out.

I know someone who had Lasik in one eye and PRK in the other and did them at separate times (fear of going blind) and as a test I guess. Lasik ended up winning his vote. Now I'm not sure what the diff is between PRK and PPK.

This post has been edited by nooblet: 16 January 2012 - 02:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:34 AM

with that vision you'd *have* to feel him.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 16 January 2012 - 02:35 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:02 AM

I've been considering Lasik. I'm 45 now and have noticed my vision changing over the past couple of years such that the time it takes to refocus (like watching TV and then glancing down at my phone to read a text message) is irritating as hell. I wear glasses (I'm near-sighted) to watch TV but have to glance under or over them to see close in properly.

I didn't start wearing glasses til I was around 20 or so and had to get contacts at the same time. Took me awhile to finally get used to sticking my own finger in my eye but there was no alternative for me at the time to be able to continue playing paintball competitively. Glasses don't work well under goggles.

I may be seriously considering Lasik later this year depending on how badly the tax man rapes me come April.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:10 AM

View Postnooblet, on 16 January 2012 - 04:05 AM, said:

It was recommended that I wait till my eyes stop changing and to do it in my early 30s. So I'm still waiting on that. I'll probably end up doing it in a few years.

Strange. To the best of my knowledge, eyesight becomes stable at around 18.

View Postnooblet, on 16 January 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

I know someone who had Lasik in one eye and PRK in the other and did them at separate times (fear of going blind) and as a test I guess. Lasik ended up winning his vote. Now I'm not sure what the diff is between PRK and PPK.

That's exactly my point. How can you so easily risk your VISION. You have to be 100% sure that its gonna work. There's a 92-98% success rate (and I have read that negative reports are often hidden from the FDA).

And wait PPK? Protected penetrating keratoplasty, that's a new term for me too.

Moreover, isn't there risk of distorted vision due to faulty correction, or as a result of inflammation during recovery? Or I think the human brain adapts very soon to that?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +